5 Helpful Tips on Starting an E-commerce Website
Online shopping is very popular these days. Well, the fact that everyone is almost always on their phone or computer most of the times is a clear indication why it is so popular. Also, it is enough reason for you to consider starting an e-commerce website.
Running an e-commerce website is a lot cheaper and easy to manage compared to having a land-based shop which is very expensive and requires a lot of capital. So if you have limited resources then it is best to start online.
In this article, we will share some helpful tips about starting an e-commerce site.
- Choose a good domain name – domain registration is the first step in starting your e-commerce website. It is important to choose a good domain name that is easy to remember and can easily go viral. You should list down all terms or word combinations you think of and then do domain search to see which ones are available. And then pick from there. If you will be mixing words to form a unique name then it is important that you check the meaning of the word. You may think that the word sounds cool but in other language, the word sounds bad or offensive. And of course, you do not want this so make sure to do your research before you finally buy and register your domain name.
- Find a reliable hosting site – next, you should choose a web hosting site that is reliable with minimal downtime rate only. You want your website to be always up and running especially during peak hours wherein you have many visitors and customers. You can start with lower package at the beginning but you should regularly assess your website’s performance including number of visitors so you know when to upgrade to higher package or plan. You want your site to run smoothly and fast.
- Research keywords to target – it is also important to do research in terms of keywords used by customers when searching for products you offer. This way, you can easily reach out to your target customers. You should include not only main keywords but also long-term keywords, related searches and terms.
- Prepare high quality and reliable content – content will always be king. To gain trust of your visitors, you should publish only high quality content including honest images and complete and detailed descriptions of products and services you offer. You should never mislead your customers.
- Advertise on social media – lastly, it is advisable to be active on social media to promote your e-commerce site. You should create official social media pages for your site so you can announce any new products, services, new promotions and other important announcements. You can use social media to connect with your customers too which is great marketing too.
Dreaming of running your own business is no longer far from reality all thanks to the internet. You do not need a lot of capital to start your own e-commerce website. Follow the tips that we discussed and one day, you will see your business growing to the point that you can even make it as your primary source of income.
Join the FREE Newsletter
Subscribe to more PF Advice and helpful tips straight to your inbox.