Facebook Panic: Why Are People Calling 911 When Facebook Goes Down?

People call 911 in LA in panic when Facebook goes down for 30 minutes
“Facebook is down. I repeat Facebook is down.” This tweet was one of many on August 1st when the popular social networking site went down for more than half an hour. Within minutes, users were flooding the internet, the search term: Is Facebook Down? Became the 4th most asked on Google and 911 lines in LA were flooded with calls from panicked citizens reporting the incident.

It might sound like an over-reaction, but when you remember that 56% of the world’s population is on Facebook for more than 700 billion minutes of their lives each month, it starts to make sense. People felt confused and locked out – who better to call than the local Police.

But even the authori

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Health, Relationships and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Facebook Panic: Why Are People Calling 911 When Facebook Goes Down?

1. dean says:

Seriously? These people are idiots. It’s as bad as calling 911 because you need a ride somewhere. This is why the government has to put warnings on everything.

2. bob says:

haha, stupid facebook user calling 911

3. Bryce Canyon says:

Do you have to be a moron to use Facebook, or does Facebook turn you into a moron? Maybe it’s both.

4. bobbi says:

only in LA. :)

5. Gailete says:

You got to be kidding! Why would anyone think they would need to call 911 when FB is showing that they have a problem and will be back up as soon as possible? What did these idiots expect the cops to do? I certainly hope that the few times I talk with someone on the phone they aren’t doing it in the bathroom. what is wrong with people? Constantly yakking on the phone or even worse in my opinion wearing one of those things in their ears like they are so important that they can’t even pop into Walmart without people being able to reach them. About the only people that I can think of that need something like that are Obstetricians since very woman wants HER doctor when delivering.

I actually thought that was a joke headline when I saw it. Shaking my head. I don’t use a cell phone and I spend approx. 15 minutes a week on FB (to pick up messages from friends and kids)

6. liinuxpert says:

even the author seems to be one of them who claims that 56% of world’s population is on facebook. May be author’s world is just facebook……….