Quit Facebook for 99 Days and Be Happy: Gain 28 Hours of Valuable Time

99 Days of Freedom Challenge quit Facebook for 3 months
Time is valuable. The cost of wasted time can end up being quite expensive. For example, cutting down on time spent watching TV can have dramatic positive financial consequences. For the average person who spends 17 minutes a day on Facebook, going cold-turkey for three months could add an extra 28 hours of time to do other more important things.

There are plenty of reasons to quit Facebook. Now there’s another one. In the aftermath of Facebook’s controversial experiment with people’s emotions, a campaign has been launched which challenges people to quit using the site for 99 days. The site predicts you’ll gain a tremendous freedom which will result in you being a ha

This entry was posted in Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Quit Facebook for 99 Days and Be Happy: Gain 28 Hours of Valuable Time

1. Jim says:

I think everyone should quit Facebook — nothing but a waste of time.

2. steve says:

Taking a survey and sharing your experience online seems to be the same as being on FB. What’s the point? Take a break and read a book or spend real time with real people.

3. Ryan says:

4. John says:

Quit it many years ago. Have never looked back. It’s nothing more than a content of who can annoy who more.

5. jman says:

i couldn’t agree more. I rarely visited FB and only have immediate family members on my “friends” list. I recently went cold turkey on my WoW game which i played daily for the past three years! Saving myself $15 a month sub fee and have a whole lot more time now to do the things i really want to for the summer. My plan is to consider going back and playing WoW in Jan after the new expansion comes out which i already prepaid for. And I do play it with my spouse, so will see, but definitely not be playing to the extent I did before. I played Farmville on FB for a year but finally just walked away and never looked back. Computer like TV can be very appealing and addictive. Have a good one!

6. gail says:

I love Facebook. I wouldn’t be able to survive without it. It’s the way I keep up with all my friends. Why would anyone ever want to give it up?

7. Das says:

Never bothered with facebook. Glad I never did. Never really watched television in my adult life (who needs a tv when you can stream shows).

I wasted a year+ on video games tho.

8. edward says:

facebook = people trying to prove their lives mean a rat’s patootie to others whose lives are even more miserable.

9. qa says:

you are not actually keeping up with your friends … you are keeping up with the Facebook image of your friends.

10. Kaycee Fisher says:

I like Facebook. It’s free entertainment for me. I personally am more annoyed with the people I encounter OFF of Facebook more than any I have encountered ON Facebook.

11. james says:

I use to not watch tv in high school and I didn’t know any current events or about pop culture. Plus, television is a good way to relax and destress.

12. Steven says:

Facebook? What’s that? ;-)

13. Mercury says:

The same principle goes for anything. I did a study 20 years ago on my smoking habit: when I quit I gained 3 1/3 hours of productivity per day by cutting out the smoke breaks. I added years to my life by stopping and gained even more years in saved time and productivity.

I don’t use facebook, don’t watch TV…if I quit surfing the internet I’ll become immortal!

14. Right says:

Almost as much of a waste of time as posting inane comments online.

15. Twitchymeat says:

99 days without Facebook? Easy. I haven’t had one in four years.

I should get some kind of medal, like the ones given out at A.A.

16. Miriam says:

I did quit Facebook 2 years ago after realizing that I was checking it more than 10 times a day, plus it brought me more headache than good things. It was hard at the beginning but it was one of the best decisions I’ve made.

17. JP says:

Hoping many join. Haven’t used Facebook for years. I have friends and even talk to them in personal conversations. Drop Facebook and get life back!!

18. V says:

Worth trying.

19. Jerry B says:

Almost as much of a waste of time as posting inane comments online.

20. RA says:

This is actually true!
    I had quit Facebook February 2014 and I was able to focus more on my online courses better, and able to finish it on time! Wow! And besides, why we need to focus much of our time on Facebook if our intention is to just snoop on friends and “not-so friends'” activities? If there is a need to communicate, email or call them, and vice versa. Let’s all do something productive and healthy. ^^ Cheers!

21. Billy Bob says:

Almost as much of a waste of time as posting inane comments online.

22. Jakety Jake says:

Almost…almost…

23. I backed away for 30 days last year. I was pregnant and didn’t want to broadcast it on Facebook, but two people really wanted to out me there. The solution – don’t be on the site. No posts of mine to comment on with clear hints.

I had so much time! I was a lot happier. When I went back through the 30 days of posts, I hadn’t missed anything important.

24. Ron says:

I always wanted to use FB if it has any value. I talked to my peers, relatives, youngsters, business people and students. I did not get any thing out of FB but I still think it is the best tool for data collectors, government agencies and social junkies who have nothing to do and better than hanging out in bars or spending times on street corners or social junkies are more interested in others life than themselves. For me, I will use only if I am running an office or fir target marketing.

25. Moira says:

Agreed that FB is a time suck and can make you feel bad about your life, even worse is Yelp! Talk about a stage for posers and haters or gushers. Live your life go experience your day and service venues for yourself and have real conversations. Facebook and yelp are like the cowards way of being the Wisard of OZ, all show no value only ego.