Since Independence Day is a federal holiday, the vast majority of banks and credit unions are closed, along with some other businesses. There are some exceptions to the rule, however, and there will be a few banks and credit unions with branches open on Friday, July 4, 2015.
Although there are a few banks and credit unions open, these tend to be smaller regional banks or bank branches which happen to be located in grocery stores, which will be open for the holiday. These institutions will also usually be running on shorter holiday hours for the day, not their regular Friday hours. Because they can vary from location to location, if you plan to visit any of the institutions below, call to confirm they will be open and their hours.
Banks Open on 4th of July
- Central Pacific Bank: CPB is a bank located in Hawaii. They will have select branches open on Independence Day during limited holiday hours from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- First Convenience Bank: FCB is a bank located in Texas which will have its bank branches on the Fourth of July from the hours 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
- Metro Bank: Is a local bank in Harrisburg, PA. Metro will have its drive-thru and its downtown branch open for business for limited hours (from 7:30 AM to 1:00 PM) on July 4.
- PNC Bank: Stand alone branches will be closed, but some PNC branches located in grocery stores will be open for limited hours. These vary depending on the supermarket location, so it’s important to contact that branch directly to confirm the hours.
- US Bank: US Bank says that some of their grocery store branches will be open for business on Independence Day for limited hours. These will vary, so it’s important to contact your local supermarket branch to confirm if that one will be open and during what hours.
Credit Unions Open on 4th of July
- Fort Financial Credit Union: This credit union in Indiana has a number of grocery store branches in Meijer supermarkets. These will be open from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM on July 4, but not the stand-alone branches.
- Landmark Credit Union: The grocery store branches of this credit union (not stand-alone branches) will be open from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM on the Fourth of July.
It’s important to remember that just because your bank will be closed for the July 4th holiday, it doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to do any banking at all. Many ATMs allow for basic banking transactions to be performed, and ATMs are usually open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. If you have banking tasks to do, you may very well be able to do it through your bank’s ATM.
You can also go online to your bank or credit union’s website where you can also perform many basic banking transactions. If you are unsure of whether or not your bank will be open on Independence Day, the bank’s website will usually have holiday hours listed, plus holidays when branches will be closed. This is a quick and easy way to find out if your local branch will be open or closed.
The following banks will be closed on the Fourth of July:
- JP Morgan Chase
- Bank of America
- Wells Fargo
- Bank of New York Mellon
- State Street
- Capital One
- Royal Bank of Scotland
- Regions Financial
- Fifth Third Bank
- Northern Trust
- Bank of Montreal
- Bank of the West
- Union Bank
- Allied Irish
- Zions Bank
(Photo courtesy of Steve Trottier)