What Does Dave Ramsey Think About Timeshares?

Dave Ramsey hate timeshares not investment
While I don’t always agree with the financial advice that Dave Ramsey gives to his listeners, we’re both on the same page when it comes to timeshares. Ramsey doesn’t have a high regard for them, and he believes that people should stay as far away as possible from them. He doesn’t mince his words when it comes to these vacation options and views them as an outright scam. In his own words, this is what he has to say about them: “Timeshares are one of the biggest scams on the market today. Once you are stuck in one, you are stuck in a black hole.”

Below are some of the reasons that he feels timeshares are one of the biggest scams in the vacation industry:

Th

This entry was posted in Financial Videos, Personal Finance, Timeshares, Travel and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to What Does Dave Ramsey Think About Timeshares?

1. dave says:

I bought a timeshare in my early 20s and it was one of the worst financial mistakes I ever made. I never intended to buy it, but I cannot suckered into going to a presentation to get free show tickets when I was in Las Vegas. The high-pressure sales person convinced me to sign on the dotted line, and I ended up with a timeshare. It was one of the hardest things to get rid of, and I lost about $20,000 in the process. It was an expensive lesson learned.

2. Steve says:

I get what Dave is saying but he completely misses the resale market, where you can buy a timeshare for a lot less than what the resort sells them for. You can get them at great resorts like Marriott for a couple of thousand dollars and even with an average maintenance fee of about $800 a year it’s still a great value vacation over time compared to a hotel room. Try getting a decent room at a resort for under $200 a night. It’s never supposed to be a financial investment but an annual vacation cost – and everyone should take at least one vacation a year.

3. Tre says:

I have to agree with Dave Ramsey on this one. I know a few people that feel that it was a worthwhile expense, but for most people it’s a financial mistake. The industry seems to be built on targeting the people that can least afford it.

4. greg says:

I would argue that even buying on the secondary market isn’t a good deal for most. You really need to be an organized person to take advantage, and know a bit about how time shares work to take full advantage. The problem is that if you miss one year for any reason, you lose everything you paid that year.

I’m not saying that some people can’t do it, but I think it’s like credit cards. Most people will lose with a time share even if they buy on the resale market so it’s better to stay away.

5. Lisa says:

Anyone who pitches timeshare as an investment is wrong. Anyone who buys timeshare as an investment is wrong.

Timeshares are great for some…terrible for others.

Education and unbiased information are key to making wise choices about timeshare.

The vast majority of writers who complain about timeshare have never owned one. The vast majority of owners who complain about timeshare have never taken the time to get involved or get educated.

6. greg says:

I would disagree. The vast majority of owners who complain do so because they were told lies at the sales presentation that they later found out to not be true, or half truths. Also, I know many people who like their timeshare until they want to get out and then can’t. The problem isn’t the owners. It’s the way they are sold and marketed.

7. ben says:

I don’t agree with everything that Dave Ramsey says, but this is one area where I do. I don’t know anyone who can really benefit from one of these. I would stay as far away from these as I possibly could.

8. Eric says:

So I am in the timeshare resale industry and there are many reasons why timeshares are not right for some. But, for others, it is a very smart choice, especially those that:

1- vacation regularly
    2- enjoy the resort-style vacation
    3- Like going back to the same place

And buying a timeshare from a developer is never a good deal. But buying it on the resale market is key.

9. Ursula Rice says:

Legitimate timeshare sales will not claim one-day sales or unrealistic gift offers. If the timeshare is not a scam, their offers will be the same regardless of whether you purchase today, tomorrow, or one month from now. As a timeshare purchaser, it is important that you take the time to do the research about the property in which you are interested in purchasing a timeshare. Make sure that you search for client reviews online to ensure that they are not a scam and that their offers are valid and being successfully enjoyed by their clients. A timeshare can be an enjoyable purchase if you are investing into a plan that will suit your vacation needs, and have the flexibility that your family desires. Do not feel pressured into making a timeshare purchase based on the gifts that are offered today only. Before investing thousands of dollars in a binding commitment, ensure that you are purchasing a comprehensive vacation package that will offer you the freedom to travel when and where you want.

10. wayne says:

While I understand some of what is hated about timeshares I own one and enjoy it VERY much. We travel much better than our family who is often in the same area in a small hotel with terrible amenities. While they are unhappy with accommodations we have what amounts to a luxury two bedroom apartment with an excellent gym, several restaurants, a marina and beach and daily activities. Do we pay yearly? yep, but we spend about $600 per year and travel about 45 days a year. To be fair, we are flexible and I’m self-employed and often work while we’re on vacation so we have an advantage, but the rooms we stay in average around $400 per night and I’m able to rent extra time that covers most of my expenses. Am I smarter than most Americans. ABSOLUTELY. That’s not arrogance, but fact. I’ve made what people are complaining about being a financial black hole turn into a way to travel with basically free luxury lodging. So YES, timeshares can be great if you’re smarter than most of the people around you.

11. wayne says:

I also wonder who has been sold ANYTHING when they were told all of the downsides? When you bought your house did the realtor tell you (without prompting) that the windows are draft? Did they tell you what the taxes would be yearly? Did you buy a car and the salesman told you how much tires would cost when they needed changed? Or even what an oil change runs now? When we buy anything we should assume their are maintenance costs (Maintenance fees are one of the MOST hated things about timeshares). How do owners or potential owners expect the resorts to be kept up and updated?