Is Costco Gas Quality the Same as Exxon, Shell and Chevron?

Costco gas quality
There are many reasons to love Costco. They treat their employees much better than many businesses, and they have competitive prices when it comes to the things that they sell. While there might be some reasons that you wouldn’t want to shop there, a lack of quality in the gasoline they sell is not one of them.

If you have ever driven by a Costco and looked at the prices at their gas stations, you know that they can be significantly lower than gasoline prices anywhere else in the area. It doesn’t take much to realize this. All you need to do is look at the long line of cars waiting to fill up their tanks to know that the price is significantly lower than most other places in the

This entry was posted in Cars, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Is Costco Gas Quality the Same as Exxon, Shell and Chevron?

1. joe says:

Thank you for this informative article. I have wondered about comparison with other gas suppliers and this gives me comfort.

2. Andy says:

I have been told by those that drive trucks full of gasoline and deliver it to the different stations that it is all the same. Every company does not have it’s own refinery, but all companies use the same gas from the same refinery which goes into the same trucks and then is delivered to all the stations.

An interesting question to ask would be has anybody ever seen a scientific study proving that one companies gas is better than anothers?

3. Gas price is one of the major problems in our country. The gas hike continues to rise almost every week!

4. Praising Costco says:

That is true, however as a seasoned costco member and a 2013 hired employee, quality of all products has always been a concern and a personal mission of mine to research. Rest assured once the gasoline is onsite it becomes a top tier gasoline ( a Kirklands Signature ) and no longer generic and yet another genius process that sets Costco apart from the rest.

5. Earl Richards says:

To avoid the gasoline price rip-off, plug your Tesla S electric car into your household, solar array.

6. mom-from-missouri says:

Interesting. First husband and I owned several gas stations back in the 80’s thru 2008. We changed branding several times–Phillips 66, Conoco, BP. Yet, it all still came from the same supplier–Carter Petro….same truck same delivery driver….
    He would top off our tanks then drive down the block and top off the next stations tanks.
    It is all the same stuff.

7. Praising Costco says:

The process occurs onsite at each gasoline drop and at every Costco gasoline fill up site and that is where additional detergents while closely monitored by EPA are added. I am sure Costco has invested a lot of $ by doing this however as you can see it apparently has paid off. I am a costco employee .

8. noah says:

Yes they do all deliver the same base fuel as addattives are usually added and mixed at the retail station, the addatives are what distinguish one brand of gas from another.

9. michael reed says:

I work for costco In eugene oregon and was a gas station employee. Costco gas is truly everything they say it is and the additive we add with every load coming in is truly top quality. Costco is all about value and top quality products and I’m proud to work for a company that treats it’s employees so well. A+

10. Carrie says:

I beg to differ. I love Costco, I shop there weekly but several years ago I had many car problems. My car was at the dealership week after week thankfully all covered within my 36,000 mile warranty. It was later discovered that the cause of the nearly $5000 of damage to my 3 year old car was Costco gas. Once I stopped filling up at Costco I only went to the dealership for regularly scheduled maintance. Many dealerships such as Mini Cooper reccomend to their customers that they not use Costco gas. I assume BMW says the same since they own Mini.

11. MikeH says:

The worst Gas in AZ and you can tell from 1 fill up. is AM PM…. I do not notice a difference between QT and Costco, but sad to say QT is same price usually and NO Lines…. Would love to go costco more,,, but I leave for work by 5am,,, Costco CLOSED, QT is open,.,,,

Next other time,, you already have a self serve,, make it open 24 hours… Duhhhhh

12. Doreen says:

Just recently costco now sells tier 5 gas which is higher than chevron or shell based on additives.

13. Yeah boy! says:

Mom’s comment is probably one of the most valuable in the discussion of gasoline quality. First hand, real world consumer type of comment. Scientific and brand-biased comments don’t really help when we just want an answer that cuts to the quick. No clutter. No confusion. Thanks, mom-from-missouri.

14. Holly Nelson says:

Might want to reconsider Costco. Are you Pro-America like the rest of us, or Anti-America like Costco?

15. Merica! says:

Holly… don’t be a troll.

I stand for American Workers, and that’s who Costco takes care of.

16. JB says:

I had the same problem with my BMW 745. Warranty repIred at 5,835. They also told me to stay away from Costco. All i ever used is premium, even at Costco. It took about 3 monyhs and my troubles began.

17. Vv says:

I also like Costco and frequently shop there. However, I stay away from their gas stations. My 2006 Nissan Altima started giving 19 mpg on highway which should be 27 mpg under standard operating conditions. Engine vibrations also increased significantly and the drive got rough overall. Once the “check engine” light turned on the first thing I did was changing the gas company. Within two days after changing my gas, the “check engine” light went off and the gas mileage also improved (27.7 on hwy, 25.4 city). It runs smoothly as it did before I became a Costco member and started using their fuel.

18. Scionxb12 says:

Kirkland Signature gasoline, is the best possible gasoline money can buy. Gas is all purchased from the same suppliers but then they add 5 times the epa regulated detergent to their gasoline a major benefit for their members. Costco has very strict regulations on their gas they change their fuel filters more frequently than all other stations. Fuel filters are just like oil filters trapping sediments and particles and need to be changed every two months to ensure the cleanest product. Peoples comments are so funny on here the whole BMW’s malfunctioning due to Costco gas is a joke. BMW just wants to point the finger at someone else when everyone knows there cars are overpriced maintenance prone. If their gas was so bad why would they be praised Ford and GM that makes no logical sense. M.y mileage with ks premium improves 4-5 mpg city and 6-8 highway. Costco has the cleanest station around in my town. Even after storms they are out there making it sparkle. My rule of thumb for gas is if the station is dirty I wouldn’t trust the product but if it’s immaculate you can bet the product is just as clean.

19. LCH says:

Both my husband I started buying Costco gas around the same time. We have a Chevy Truck, and mini van. Both started having engine problems around the same time, and my husband, who is very knowledgable about cars, and repairs ours, believes it was the Costco gas. There is something different with this gas that causes problems! We no longer buy their gas, and have had no more problems.

We figured out that by using the Exxon Mobile gas card with 6 cents off per gallon, plus some of the Mobile stations give you the cash price with the card, so that’s 16 cents off per gallon – better than Costco and no lines! :)

20. Doo-dah says:

It’s spelled additive and it is added at the terminal not the retail station.

21. QT says:

Doo- Dah
    This isn’t a class rm. if you feel the need to be superior go back and teach second grade. Douche- bag.