Is LifeLock a Scam and Do You Need It?

12345

With more and more news stories of credit card theft, people begin to look for ways to protect themselves. One company that they will likely come across in their search is Lifelock and many wonder, “Is Lifelock a scam?” The good news it that it’s not a scam in the literal sense. The bad news is that it probably doesn’t offer you all the protection that you think it does.

LifeLock is an anti-theft protection company designed to protect against identity theft and fraudulent charges to your credit services. The company provides a $1 million guarantee in the event of fraud or identity theft. There are various identity theft services that LifeLock provides, and while the

This entry was posted in Credit Cards, Insurance, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Is LifeLock a Scam and Do You Need It?

1. laurie66 says:

From my own experience, you are the only one that can take the steps to prevent identity theft. You want to stop it before it happens, not after and all these companies don’t prevent it from happening.

2. Frank says:

I don’t think they can absolutely prevent it from happening, they can just assist you (the consumer) with helping to make it harder to occur. Nothing is failproof, but the steps they take do help & go beyond what one can do without them.

3. John says:

They also claim to offer 24/7/365 access to all 3 credit reports and scores… Is this true? And if so, is there another service which offers this cheaper?

4. mark2555 says:

I have always known this for years!
    It’s always best to handle your own personal credit information!

I heard that!
    The owner of lifelock on 1 of their own paid programs!
    Gave out his SSI number.
    It was to show people how safe his service is!
    And had his account was hacked 7 times!!!

5. Frank says:

They give you updated scores from TransUnion every month & yearly from the other 2. This is what they state they’ll do as well.

6. Frank says:

His social was used, however LifeLock was able to resolve all the issues. That is their claim. Nobody can completely stop identity theft, this is actually one of their claims as well. Lifelock does alert in most cases, there are just some instances that they are not able to alert of. But in those cases, that’s where they step in on your behalf & resolve the issues.

7. mark2555 says:

Are you reading the same article I did?

The main fact of the matter is this!

Protecting ones personal ID!
    Is still the person’s responsibility!
    The $1,000,000 guarantee is still a sham!
    With the $10.00 a month!

I can buy the BIG box @ McD”S!!!!
    Money better spent!!!!

8. mark2555 says:

NO 1 CAN!!!!!!!!

9. sally says:

If they could actually prevent identity theft, then I wouldn’t have an issue with it, but they CAN’T. That’s why it’s a scam. You pay for that protection and think you’re safe, but then your identity gets stolen and they are like, “oh sorry, our bad.” Here, we’ll try and help you now that it has been stolen.

10. bill says:

They have always seemed like a pretty scam company to me. If I remember correctly, weren’t they forced to pay millions to the FTC for false advertising a few years back? If you have to make false statements to get people to buy your service, that pretty much sums up the type of company that you are in my opinion.

11. Ivan says:

I think it is a well disguised scam. I was just trying to apply for the service, but noticed that under the “$1 Million Total Service Guarantee” there was a tiny note that said: “Network does not cover all transactions and scope my vary”. At that time a Lifelock representative offered to chat, so I decided to ask her “What transactions are excluded?”. To this, the representative just went in circles, repeating all the wonders they state in their letters. Upon my insistence, she finally said she did not have that information and that I should call Member Service Support to find out. How can someone offer a service, but refuse to provide the most basic information about its scope and exclusions?