52 Week Make Money Challenge: Week One Results

The first week of me doing the 52 week make money challenge wasn’t at all what I anticipated. I thought it would be rather routine with me selling some stuff I wanted to get rid of, but that changed with an invitation to go to the beach.

I was invited by a friend to go to search for sea glass. I don’t actually collect it, but my friend does, and I’ll never turn down a day at the beach. I had an ulterior motive as well. There is an avid base of collectors who covet rare pieces, and sea glass can be used in jewelry as well. That means that if I happened to get lucky and find a top quality piece, it could be worth $50 – $100.

Now, this isn’t simply walking along th

This entry was posted in 52 Week Make Money Challenge, Making Money, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to 52 Week Make Money Challenge: Week One Results

1. Shannon says:

I look forward to more of your savings opportunities! I took some time after vacation to move around furniture, and cleaned out trash that had collected. I will try to do better about my clutter this year!

2. MrPaseo says:

Thanks for posting these ideas, I look forward to seeing your progress throughout the year. What is your plan for selling items that you find in your house? Local, eBay, Craigslist?

3. jeffrey says:

It will be a combination of all of the above. Add in there a garage sale and possibly a flea market stall. I’ll make the decision on the individual items what I think the best selling option will be to get the most for it.

4. Elizabeth says:

I hope the sand dollars were all dead ones, some beach populations are struggling. Also, if anybody else wants to do this (beach glass or sand dollars) be aware that this cannot be done on public park lands. It is a federal offense to collect pretty much anything from federal lands including sea debris, wildflowers, sea glass, ceramics, nails, and other items that might be coming from an archaeological site, etc. I’m not saying you were doing this, just warning the readers who might not know this. I collect sea glass myself but have never tried to sell any. I may just give this a try.

I made my first week $1 from a survey group that sent a $1 bill in the mail for signing up. Not a big earn but it gets the week checked off. :-)

5. Paulette says:

My Week One gain was $20, a surprise from a generous Dead Pool administrator for placing second. We’re sharing unusual ways of saving/getting money, right?

6. It sure looks like you’re doing some west coast pickin’!
    FYI… I’ve seen one very rare sea glass gem go for over $500!
    Not a bad score for a day at the beach!
    Gary de Blois
    Sea Glass Journal

7. Susan says:

Jeffrey, I have Christmas Ornaments made out of sea dollars! They were a gift from a high-end shop in Florida. Good idea to sell them to artists. I’m also curious to see how your selling goes – I have not had the best of luck yet.

8. Minny says:

These look lovely, an interesting project.

There is a British website called ‘Money Saving Expert’ and on the forum section people sign up to a make so much a day. It seems that having set a target ideas come to help. It is done on a monthly basis. I give a link.

This site is a godsend for people in Britain wanting to save, pay back debts, live frugally etc. I have used it to great benefit over the years.