The 365 Day Money Challenge Will Save You $668, a Penny at a Time

365 day save money challenge

The 52 week money challenge has gained quite a lot of popularity as a way to save money during the year, but it’s not the only way that one can save money. I had a good heart-to-heart talk with a woman who told me that she loved the concept of the 52 week money challenge, but she simply couldn’t do it. She explained that each week when she needed to put aside the money for that week, she would panic. The first couple of months were okay because the dollar amounts were low, but as they started to increase, the weekend became a time of terror because she knew she needed to put away money that she didn’t have. She ended up giving up because the challenge was causing more stre

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to The 365 Day Money Challenge Will Save You $668, a Penny at a Time

1. creditcardfree says:

Nice idea. Not sure how practical the small amounts are when you end up needing to have change available every day to cover your deposits to the fund. I use a debit card so much I rarely have cash on hand.

2. NANCY MARTIN says:

I can transfer to my savings account with no fees, so i can sit down once every day and deposit the money to my savings account :) I think it is a great plan :)

3. Teri Su Garske says:

Me and two co-workers are doing this plan! Thanks for posting the chart and idea! Wish us Good Luck!!

4. jeffrey says:

Great! Wishing you great luck with it and hope to hear about your progress.

5. Julie says:

Love this plan, going to do it and stick to it for the year in Jesus name. Amen

6. jeffrey says:

Wishing you the best of luck with it.

7. Pingback: A New Savings Challenge | Eboo Saves

8. creditcardfree says:

I’m glad you are able to move amounts that small.

9. Buck Burch says:

Actually, and even better, if you could deposit that change each day into a high-yield savings account (currently 0.85% annual yield) compounded daily, it would leave you with $906.50 at the end of the year; an additional $238.55 more than what you’d have sitting in a cookie jar).

10. petesake says:

Actually, you are way off on that number. I’m not sure how you calculated so you could get $233.55 from an interest rate of less than 1 percent, but at 1% if the entire $668 was in the bank account from January 1st, the total would only be and extra $6.68. Still better than nothing, but not quite what you projected.

11. Buck Burch says:

petesake, actually, I am correct. If you have 1% compounded annually, then you would be right, but I said “compounded daily”. This makes a huge difference. I’d be happy to send you an excel spreadsheet that shows how this works if you’d like.

12. Buck Burch says:

petesake, I went back to check the figures on the spreadsheet. The percent function was automatically changed to a whole number, so you are correct. Sorry for the confusion.

13. Buck Burch says:

See apology below

14. Pingback: 52-Week Savings Challenge | Fi's Mutterings

15. Minny says:

I think this is a great idea and will work differently for different people.

My poor mother was very bad with money and when her dog became ill I paid the vets bill and it was not cheap. I said to her to take out insurance because I knew that she would pay that. The wretched vet dissuaded her, he said just put £5 a week away and next time the money would be there – I could have throttled him. Mum did this for about three weeks before she ‘needed’ the money which she knew was there in the drawer. The next time the dog was ill guess who paid? I did.

This rambling story says that for some people the saved money has to be ‘out of sight out of mind’. This is why the idea of putting the saved amounts into a savings account is a good one!

16. cashcow says:

I’m going to recommend this to a relative who can’t swing the 52 week challenge and is discouraged about trying an altered version (basically, “whatever you have left up to that week’s amount”; some people don’t get past $10 or $12 per week, but it still adds up!).

A note about making transfers to your savings account: all of my accounts limit the number of transfers that can be made (in or out, or both) per month. Before making daily transfers, find out what your accounts’ limits might be. You wouldn’t want to get a $10 fee on day 7. If you’re limited, consider tallying some way that you can’t ‘cheat’ on, and then make weekly transfers. Maybe keep a few bucks’ worth of change to move between two jars. At the end of the week, count up your savings, transfer that amount, and then put those coins back in the original jar and start over. You’re still working on this habit and keeping yourself accountable without needing endless amounts of change or to make daily small transfers. Just some thoughts I had. As for me, I may add this to my 52 week challenge. (Itself modified since I’m limited to how many transfers I can make. I keep an easy calendar so I know how much to add to my scheduled transfers.)

Thanks for coming up with this. It’s a great (nearly) excuse-proof system for those intimidated by, or who can’t swing, the 52-week plan. Something I noticed about your chart, though – you have 366 squares. You have a duplicate $3.44 (bonus!). :)

17. jeffrey says:

Error noted…will get that fixed

18. Jo says:

I am able to transfer small amounts of money from my checking to savings account at USAA. I guess that as long as the money stays in the accounts, they’re happy. I’ve had no problems with transferring from the first week on. I started out with just $1, then $2 and then $3….it’s slowly adding up, too.

19. Sandi says:

Great idea, I love the small amounts! My new year resolution was to start using cash instead of my debit card. To easy to swipe card and lose track of spending. When cash is gone it’s gone!

20. Jennifer says:

I am currently participating in this challenge as well as the 52 Week one. I started the 52 Week one in November of last year and this challenge at the beginning of January. I am currently up to $140.00 in this challenge. I basically pick random amounts on the chart and see what I have in my wallet (I don’t carry a lot of cash) and change purse that day. Thank you for posting this and I have shared it with others via FB. I think that it is not just the saving each day, but building and maintaining the habit of depositing daily. I always deposit at night before I go to sleep so I don’t forget during the hectic morning rush. ~Jennifer