Why You Should Skip Making New Year’s Resolutions

making new year's resolutions
It’s that time of the year again. My guess is that you’re beginning to think about putting together a list of New Year’s resolutions if you haven’t already begun to do so. If you have started and you’re planning to make some this year, I think you should consider skipping them. That’s right. Don’t even bother making them. Take a stand and boycott the whole tradition. Refuse to get suckered into a yearly game that gives the impression that it’ll help you do the things you want, but actually does you more harm than good. How do New Year’s Resolutions hurt? Let me explain the ways:

They’re a Delay Tactic

First and foremost, these reso

This entry was posted in Holidays, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Why You Should Skip Making New Year’s Resolutions

1. vsjhoc says:

My New Year’s Resolution is … to not make any more New Year’s Resolutions.

Last year I made a list of 11 Resolutions and stuck in front of my desk. The list haunted me all year.

I achieved only the very last Resolution: to lower my expectations of myself. Deep down I must have known I was being completely unrealistic!

2. Susie says:

I almost always make resolutions, and almost always forget all about them by February. For me, the best reason not to make resolutions is the way they make me act before the new year actually begins. I’ve been eating like a complete pig during the last few weeks because I know January is coming and I’m planning on cutting back starting on 1/1/08. However, I do enjoy the clean slate feeling that comes with a new year, and even if I only diet for a few weeks, that’s better than nothing, right? That will at least help me undo the damage I did in December. :)

3. Peri says:

Very good! The New Year’s Resolution tradition defies one of the key ways to make certain goals are actually met … do them because they are IMPORTANT TO YOU, rather than societally expected. There’s the first “duh.” How many people will ask you, throughout the month of January: “What are your New Year’s Resolutions?” After 51 years of hearing that, I’m inclined, this January to respond “To not call you an ignorant and interferingly rude imbecile for even asking … OOPS! Blew it!” But then … its a difficult morning. I plan to NOT resolve anything this New Year’s Eve. The images of curling up before a warm fire, knowing that the harvest is in and that this is a time of quiet reflection and warm fuzzy feelings is hardly apt in today’s complex (and largely non-agrarian) United States, and the fallacy of the contemplative process needed for true reflection begins to fall apart there. Thank you for this highly supportive and very sensible article!

4. Mrs. M180 says:

I much prefer making my new year’s resolutions on my birthday, and I choose goals related to personal growth with the end goals based on my starting point. Because these goals are made in conjunction with MY new year (not the calendar’s!) and I don’t share them with others, there’s no societal pressure or desire to pick unattainable goals. It feels more personal and less like a sheep activity to me this way, and I like sitting down to review what I’ve accomplished in the past year and planning my forward progress from there.

5. Minny says:

I agree 100%.

6. Gailete says:

I don’t make resolutions either, partly because I think they are dumb. If you know that you need to do something, then either do it or not. Why say I’m going to start doing it at the beginning of the year since it is a New Year’s resolution? That being said, I’m not against having goals for the year to work through and so I did write up a goal list. I also as I thought about it, did a few things to help on the taxes and also for once had the money to pay the home and auto insurances in full instead of spreading them out and paying a $4 fee each month x 10 months for both of them to pay monthly, so in one swoop I ‘saved’ $80 on fees. What was the point in waiting until the first to do that bit of savings? Also having those bills paid off now means I don’t have to come up with around $160 a month for 10 months. Yes, we need to be saving towards next years bill, but as self employed people, it is great to have less ‘have to pay this week’ bills when income can be erratic.

At the beginning of a new year, many companies promote things that can help with the passive savings if you take advantage of them. No point resolving to do that, just do it. I’m a great believer in passive savings. Things you put in motion and never have to think about again and yet you are ‘saving’ or at least not spending the money yearly. Making our IRAs paperless and only accessing the account via the computer saves us $25 each year in and year out AND because they normally would take that $25 directly out of the IRA I have no clue (as I don’t have high enough math skills) how much we are saving by not chewing away at the balance, even for that $25 each year.

In August I decided it would be beneficial to have a net worth statement each month to better track how we are doing. Now I could have put it off until January, but I started it then. If you don’t do this, I highly recommend it. You are able to see if you are blowing money, saving money, increasing your wealth, which for us will be helping keep us solvent in our ‘retirement’ years not because we think eventually we will be worth a million dollars. Some people resolve to earn more money or save more. Many of my goals for 2014 involve earning money but most are an extension of what we are already doing but putting a fire under me to push even more. Many think that since $10 doesn’t seem like much, you might as well spend it on a pizza, but I have seen first hand this past year how saving consistently each month even if small amounts and also depositing ‘surprise’ money into my Roth IRA, it has gone up $1000. If you asked me on the 1st of January last year to make a resolution to save $1000 in my IRA this year, I wouldn’t have thought it possible, but it was and there was no reasons to wait for the 1st of January to start doing it.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I find it more beneficial to just start whenever the urge to change something in your life hits you, than wait for some arbitrary day on the calendar.