10 Ways to Save Money on Gluten Free Products

save money gluten free

Anyone who is on a gluten free diet because of medical issues such as celiac disease or gluten intolerance knows how expensive grocery shopping for these products can be. Unfortunately, gluten free products are sometimes twice as expensive as products that include gluten. Whether by necessity or you’re simply looking to eat a healthier diet, here are a few different ways to save money:

Buying Online

There are plenty of places online that sell gluten free products, sometimes at a much more inexpensive price than what you would find in a grocery store. There are websites entirely dedicated to grocery items free of gluten, and there are also well-known sites such as Amazon that also hav

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Food / Groceries, Health, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to 10 Ways to Save Money on Gluten Free Products

1. ben says:

I really don’t get this whole “gluten free” trend. I get the feeling that very few people are really gluten intolerant and this has become a huge advertising and marketing ploy for people to pay more for food that has always gluten free, but now that they put the words on the package, they can charge more.

2. Jules says:

While I appreciate and agree with most everything on this list, I always caution against buying foods from bulk bins, due to the high risk for cross-contamination that you allude to.

People ask about this issue often — I actually addressed it this past weekend while on a celiac expert panel in Annapolis, Maryland — and more often than not, folks hadn’t realized they were putting themselves at risk by shopping from bulk bins. The scoops are often shared between bins, flours and other grains drop from bins above … there is just too much natural cross-contamination that occurs with these bins to even consider buying from them if you have food allergies, celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.

Your other suggestions are great. Thank you for taking the time to put together this list, which I’m sure will be appreciated by anyone living gluten free. Who wouldn’t want to save money wherever they could? :)

~jules

3. mojavedesert says:

Ben, what you say can be true but for those of us with actual problems with gluten consumption this is important. Since eliminating wheat and gluten-based products from my diet in the spring of 2011 my previously undiagnosed symptoms disappeared. I do not wish these symptoms upon other people but for me the different was enormous and I cannot overemphasize how important this dietary issue is when I eat at a restaurant or at friends’ homes. For me, this is a health issue, not a trend. And a cautionary word for those eating rice noodles: these are usually made in countries with less rigid manufacturing standards than found in North America and I suspect they may not always be free of wheat products as they have caused my symptoms to recur, which means I no longer purchase these products.

4. Erin says:

Great list of money-saving suggestions. The only thing I might remove is the suggestion to buy in the bulk bins. I know you point this out, but the risk of cross-contamination is way too high for someone with Celiac Disease.

Another tip would be to follow gluten-free deal sites that specialize in discounts on gluten-free products and services.

5. AMZM says:

I’ve been intolerant to gluten my entire life but no one knew what to call it back then. All I knew was that every time I ate bread or had pasta for dinner, etc, I got a really bad stomach ache, headaches, etc. Thank God they figured it out. Doctors used to tell me that MSG sickness was all in my head. Turns out it was all in my gut. Now, I can buy many things I haven’t been able to eat for years. It does cost extra (and these things were not GF before) because it’s really hard to make things like pretzels & breads without the gluten – I’ve tried at home.

6. Sandi says:

I would agree with most of these tips, but I would not buy out of a bulk bin. The risk of cross contamination is too high.

7. bRobert says:

Ben, please do some research, or ask around, you will find out your feeling is very wrong. There is a rapidly increasing number of people who are developing wheat allergies. My wife was incorrectly diagnosed her whole life, but the symptoms were pretty mild until after our second child. She rapidly lost 40+ lbs, and was thin already. She was very close to dying of malnutrition before she was correctly diagnosed with Celiac’s disease. She is mostly better now that she is on a gluten free diet, and thankfully her reactions to cross contamination are relatively mild. But she has ongoing problems as a result of how bad things got. Some people have extremely severe reactions to the slightest bit of gluten.

8. Minny says:

What Ben is saying is what a lot of those who neither know anyone with celiac or know nothing about it say. To them it seems just another fad, how wrong they are!

My breadmaker has a recipe for gluten free bread.

9. AmbeeJ says:

I have found a few good online options that not only save me money, but more importantly, offer a variety. I enjoy trying out new gluten free foods