17 Bills in Your Wallet Worth More than Face Value

If you carry cash on a regular basis, there’s a good chance that at some point during the year you have bills in your wallet that are worth more than their stated face value. While most of these are probably worth only a few dollars more, some can be worth much, much more. It’s estimated that some of the new $100 bills coming out will be worth as much as $15,000 each for those lucky enough to find the bills with serial numbers that collectors covet.

A lot of people don’t realize that there are people who collect bills. For these collectors, it’s often the serial number on the bill which makes the bill valuable to them. What’s interesting is that collectors have

This entry was posted in Making Money, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to 17 Bills in Your Wallet Worth More than Face Value

1. Of course I checked what’s in my wallet right away – one of my $1 has a serial number with an ‘M’ after it. What does that mean?

2. jeffrey says:

The first letter of the serial number indicates at which federal reserve bank the note was printed — I’m not sure what the letter at the end of the serial number means. I assume that it indicates the run of the bills, but I could very well be wrong.

3. Marina says:

So do you just sell these on ebay then when you find them?

4. jeffrey says:

Yes, especially if it is a serial number that I think might be worth a lot. If it’s one that might only be worth a few dollars over face value, I sometimes opt to place it on CraigsList instead.

5. Ha this is actually really cool! I never knew!

6. baselle says:

Check out the Coined for Money blog. “Man”, the coin collector who posts, will often give you an on-the-fly assessment of what you have.

7. Tony says:

When I was a child, I collected some coins I thought would rise in value and eventually forgot about them at my parent’s house.

A few months ago and a good 30 years later, when I was getting rid of my stuff there, I came across the coins.

I did some quick checking online and found out that they would only be only worth slightly more than their face value, if anything at all more.

Eventually, I just dumped them into a machine at the bank. Got about $18. Of course, that means almost nothing to me now but was a huge investment for me at the time.

Should have just put them all in the bank when I was a kid!

8. Pingback: Writing Wrap Up + Thanks For All The Love (& Bump Pics!) - Budget Blonde

9. Gailete says:

How very interesting. Thanks for this post.

10. GARRETT says:

I work in a bank and recieved an interesting strap of the new 100 dollar bills. it is 44556601-44556700. I was wondering if any would be valuable and which ones may be the most valuable? 44556666?

11. jeffrey says:

There would be a number of them that would be of interest. I think that 44556677 would be especially sought after. I would claim as many as you can afford since there is no way that you can really lose money — if nobody is interested, you still have $100.

12. GARRETT says:

Is there any particular place that is best when trying to sell them. and do u happen to know what a good value for 44556677 would be?

13. jeffrey says:

I’m certainly not an expert in this so can’t give you an estimated value. You might want to check with a coin/currency dealer in your area. Personally, I would place it on eBay with a a markup you’re satisfied with and see where it goes from there.

14. Cara says:

Interesting article. What about misprints ? We have a bill with a folded corner and the printing went on top of the fold so when you unfold it there is a blank area on the bill ? How do I know what something like this is worth and where do I sell it if it is worth something ?

15. jeffrey says:

Misprints will make the bill more valuable than its face value — how much will depend on the misprint. The best way to gauge the possible value is to look for similar items that have sold on eBay or take it to a local coin/currency dealer to get an estimate.

16. Marissa says:

Wow! This is great and interesting information. What a great post! Thanks for sharing!

17. James says:

I have, 21 one dollar bills in consecutive order, is that common?

18. jeffrey says:

Yes — you can get consecutive bills at most banks simply by request. Unfortunately, these would not be valuable unless they had some other aspect listed in the article, but if this is the case, it would increase the value of the bills.

19. Nathan says:

I have (3) Double number ($100) bills in order. 14211223,14211224,14211225. The new bills. Worth anything? If so, how much?

20. jeffrey says:

I wouldn’t think they would be worth anything above their face value

21. Evette says:

I have started collecting bills. One dollar bill has the serial number 69686766. How much would it be worth?

22. jeffrey says:

I’m not an expert in this field so I can’t give you a price, but due to the unique sequencing if the bill it seems that a collector would be willing to pay more than face value for it.

23. Carol says:

are people interested in bills with like two consecutive $5.00 both with a star
    and are people interested in bills that have 5 or more of the same #

24. jeffrey says:

All “star” bills are highly collectible — two in a row would make them even more so.

5 of the same number bill would be collectible depending on their distribution on the bill. All 5 in a row — yes. Five scattered throughout the serial number with other numbers in between, probably not.