17 Bills in Your Wallet Worth More than Face Value

If you carry cash on a regular basis, there’s a good chance that at some point during the year you have bills in your wallet that are worth more than their stated face value. While most of these are probably worth only a few dollars more, some can be worth much, much more. It’s estimated that some of the new $100 bills coming out will be worth as much as $15,000 each for those lucky enough to find the bills with serial numbers that collectors covet.

A lot of people don’t realize that there are people who collect bills. For these collectors, it’s often the serial number on the bill which makes the bill valuable to them. What’s interesting is that collectors have

This entry was posted in Making Money, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

142 Responses to 17 Bills in Your Wallet Worth More than Face Value

1. kevin says:

How about 50 year old uncirculated consecutive dollars? I have 35 1963 B “Barr” bills starting at B21493304H and 50 1963 A “Fowler” bills starting at B70825850F? Any value to these, other then face? Thanks.

2. Jeffrey Strain says:

Probably not enough to make it worth your while to try to sell…

3. moe says:

1935 dollar bill B02111111I is that worth anything?

4. Jeffrey Strain says:

Due to age and number it’s worth a bit more, but probably not a huge amount. Definitely would be worth a lot of all were 1s

5. moe says:

how much is chris chelios autograph worth on a hundred dollar bill worth on a hudred dollar bill?

6. moe says:

How much is chris chelios autograph worth on a hundred dollar bill?

7. kari says:

Is a 1976, 2 dollar bill with 00000975* worth anything?

8. Jeffrey Strain says:

Yes, this would be worth more than face value and well worth putting on auction

9. Denisse says:

I have a 20 dollar bill with the serial number 08077777. Would this be worth more than the face value?

10. Jeffrey Strain says:

It might be to the right person.

11. Chantaal says:

I found 4 consecutive $100 bills, 2009 39525514-17 and found it strange 4 bills would be together after 5 years.

12. Robert Rickard says:

0n Dec 1st I found a almost perfect 2003A $2 bil with the full date K08091995A……that is the day Jerry Garcia past away. There has to be a Dead head who wants that and I am sure there is a dead head who collects cash. So crazy I found it and great timing…. It is the grateful deads 50th anniversary show Jan 2,2015. Also a lot of famous people like the Dead. I named it “GratefulDead President.” So???????? Want to start a high price and if anything go down. Was offered $500.00 yesterday. So right off the bat a good price. ANY THOUGHTS…

13. Luke Kohan says:

I have 15 consecutive $20 star notes – starting from 06734454, all the way to 06734468. Condition is fresh and crisp but there is a small, blurred ink mark on the bottom edge on each note. Just wondering if there is a premium for these notes at all. Thanks

14. justin says:

I have a $20.00
    series 2004
    EJ00004245*
    how do I know what its worth?

15. Jeffrey Strain says:

There are always collectors looking for star notes, so there is someone out there who would likely be willing to pay more than face value for each. You might be able to get a slight premium for all of them together, but you would greatly limit the size of the pool of people who could afford them, so it would likely be much more difficult to sell them (although you would get more when you did).

16. Jeffrey Strain says:

The best way to figure out the worth is to look at star notes that have sold on ebay (be sure to look for SOLD notes and not listed auctions that haven’t sold). You have the added bonus of this one being a low number note. Looking at what others are willing to pay for similar notes will give you an idea of its value. You can also go to a local coin and currency dealer to get an idea of the value.

17. justin says:

18. Austin says:

I have a dollar bill H66777760c is that worth anything?

19. Jeffrey Strain says:

It’s likely worth a bit more than face to some collectors. It would have been worth a lot more if the serial number had been H66777766c

20. chris b says:

I have a bill that has H89888832B is that worth anytime

21. Jeffrey Strain says:

While there might be someone who will pay a bit more than it’s face value, it’s likely not enough to take the time to try and sell it.

22. Tatyana says:

I have a $1 with the # f66688839k. Would that be worth anything?

23. Jeffrey Strain says:

No, probably not, and if someone were willing pay a bit more than it’s face value, it wouldn’t be enough to make it worthwhile trying to sell it. Now, if it were f66668888k, it would be another story.

24. lo says:

I have a Bill that has A star I guess it’s a replacement Bill I need to make sure what it is

25. Jeffrey Strain says:

From your description, it sounds like a star note.

26. kat says:

I have a bill with a serial of 14455991. Could that have any value?

27. Jeffrey Strain says:

It likely would have some value over its face value if you could find the right collector…I’m not sure it would be enough to make it worthwhile trying to find that buyer, but you might want to give it a try on eBay or Craigslist…

28. NikkiMach says:

Hi I have two bills of interest. I have a $5 thats serial # 74007500 and then a $1 thats a star bill. any idea on value of either?

29. Jeffrey Strain says:

Both have value over their face value to the right collector. What that amount is is difficult to say. You’ll need to go to a coin dealer to get a more accurate value, and you can also look up what similar bills have sold for on eBay. The $5 bill would have been worth a lot more with a 75007500 serial number.

30. jordan says:

Hello…I have 1$ with the D 25711157 E
    is it worth something….hope to b licky lol

31. Jeffrey Strain says:

Unfortunately, likely not worth enough to take the time to sell it. It would have been if it were D 57111157 E

32. y_p_w says:

Condition is very important. A wrinkled $1 bill with a star on it may not be that valuable to a collector.

33. kimberly says:

I have a 2$ 1953 with 11010001 and 18181020. Is it worth something? Tks.

34. Jeffrey Strain says:

The 11010001 likely has some value to collectors.

35. Jim says:

I have a 2$ 1953 with B instead of R ,in the red sigil.

“”THESAUR AMEB” instead ” THESAUR AMER””.

It is posible to be an error?

36. Jeffrey Strain says:

I don’t know right off hand…you could find out by taking it to a coin/currency dealer

37. Benjamin Miller says:

Recently i came across three bills I thought might have some value. The First is a one dollar bill with the serial number B 27888275 F. The second is a one dollar bill with a serial number L 14011666 H. The third is a twenty dollar bill with a serial number MD 13278496 B. I thought the last one might have some value because it doesn’t have any repeats in the serial number. Thanks.

38. Jeffrey Strain says:

Those might have some value to others, but I’m not sure it it would be enough to make them worth the time and effort to sell.

39. rajeev says:

Sir i have 2006 series $20 bookend IC 50464634c
    C3 is it valuable?

40. Jeffrey Strain says:

I doesn’t appear to have much value over its face value…

41. Jenn says:

I have a Lucky Dollar – Serial #K 88888666 G. I find it unique for a few reasons… ;-) Wondering if it’s worth trying to sell.

42. Jeffrey Strain says:

Definitely worth a try and you should be able to get above face value. Would likely be of interest to a number of collectors.