17 Bills in Your Wallet Worth More than Face Value

If you carry cash on a regular basis, there’s a good chance that at some point during the year you have bills in your wallet that are worth more than their stated face value. While most of these are probably worth only a few dollars more, some can be worth much, much more. It’s estimated that some of the new $100 bills coming out will be worth as much as $15,000 each for those lucky enough to find the bills with serial numbers that collectors covet.

A lot of people don’t realize that there are people who collect bills. For these collectors, it’s often the serial number on the bill which makes the bill valuable to them. What’s interesting is that collectors have

This entry was posted in Making Money, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

98 Responses to 17 Bills in Your Wallet Worth More than Face Value

1. Michael says:

I have a 1969 A hundred dollar bill star note in vf condition. Serial number C00343577*. Do you have any idea how much it might be worth? Or where I can find info on it. Is it a low count star note

2. I don’t know what the worth would be — your best bet is to take it to a coin and currency dealer or check similar finished auctions on eBay. It wouldn’t be considered a low count bill.

3. Amber says:

Hello, Can two different one hundred dollar bills frim 1996 have the same serial number?

4. No, they can’t.

5. Mel says:

Love the info was wondering if you could tell me if one dollar bills with serial numbers L16290479K L16290480K and L16290484K are worth more than face value thank you for your time

6. Jeffrey Strain says:

Consecutive number bills are fairly common and you can get them at most banks, so those wouldn’t be worth more just because of that….

7. Mel says:

8. Avi Kay says:

Actually they can in a way, while 2 cannot be exactly identical the actual numbers can be if they were both printed at different mints (they would have different letters). If you have this, i suspect there may be some value there. Good luck.

9. cody says:

I have a $1 with the serial number B4221934A so anyone born April, 22, 1934 would want it. But idk how I could find anyone.

10. Jesse says:

“Star” 00575757…..any takers?

11. Quinn says:

Hi, i have a one dollar bill, the serial code is H66363666A is it collectible or anything? I know its a bookend and it has repeaters and has 666, but besides that.

12. There is a collector somewhere out there who would want it and pay more than face value (depending on condition), but it’s probably not a high value collectible bill. It would be worth a lot more to collectors if it has been H66633666A

13. melissa says:

I have 2 $100 in consecutive order that are both star notes are they worth more than face value?

14. Jeffrey Strain says:

There are always people who like to collect star notes, so you likely could get more than face value for them, especially if they are in good condition.

15. Linda Czajkowski says:

Hello,

My 2006 $20 Star Note has a smaller star then my other $20 Star Notes but it’s a regular looking star on the left-hand-side. However, the star on the right-hand-side is solid. I have searched and called a couple places but no one can give me any information on the solid star or why the stars are smaller than my other star notes.
    I’m not as concerned about the size as I am about the SOLID STAR. Does anyone know if this is rare and if it holds a different value?

Linda

16. Sandy says:

Hi, yesterday I went to the gas station to buy something and purposely took a $20 bill just to get change so I can see if I get a valuable $1 bill. I think I got something but not sure so can you tell me if this is worth anything?

Its a $1 bill dated: 2009

Serial number is: K02838382F

17. Jeffrey Strain says:

It’s not likely worth more than its face value. If the serial number had been something like K03838380F it would have had some value. Good luck and keep looking.

18. Sandy says:

Awwweee, damn. I really thought I had something. Thank you. I will keep looking.

19. Gloria says:

I have a clean $1 bill with mismatched serial numbers. Is it valuable? From 1969. One starts w 67 the other w 68.

20. Jeffrey Strain says:

Yes, that would be valuable to collectors

21. Steve says:

I saw a 2009 star note beginning with 000, priced at $2.25. Should I have bought it?

22. Jeffrey Strain says:

It would have depended on the condition and the other numbers, but star notes are always in demand from collectors…

23. Madison says:

I have a 2006 star note $1 with serial # 11778877. Is it worth more than face value?

24. Jeffrey Strain says:

Yes, collectors would be interested in that note.

25. William says:

I have tried selling these notes on Ebay and the only person who makes money is Ebay. If you sell a $100 note for $115 your just breaking even. Ebay takes 10% and then the other is for insurance. And do not think about sending it without insurance. 2 out of every 3 sales I had tried to claim they did not receive the package and have Ebay refund there payment from me.

The only way to sell them is face to face with a collector.

Also the profit is only in the small denomination notes, these “collectors” do not appear to have any money, and can only afford 1’s,5’s,10’s, and once in a while a $20 note.

I worked at a Bank, and had access to a lot more than the average person, put allot of time in it and got nothing in the end. Same result as the person above with his old coins. Fun to talk about but unless you find something super rare not worth the time.

26. Catherine says:

I have a few questions about my 1935A Silver Certificate Dollar Bill and hope someone can answer them for me. Alright for one the serial number on the bill is B12314635C, does that mean anything? Also the plating number is on both the front and back, right? Are they supposed to be the same number? Because if so someone messed up on the one I own, I say this because on the front it shows in the lower right hand corner the letter G followed by the numbers 4012, then on the back again on the lower right hand side it has the numbers 2640, is this right or do I have a unique $1 Silver Certificate Bill? If someone could please get back to me and let me know I’d would appreciate it very much, Thank You For Your Time, Catherine

27. There is nothing unique about the serial number I can see. I’m not a coin/currency expert, so I can’t answer your other question. The best way to find that out is to take it to a local coin dealer.

28. Ari says:

Hello,
    I went through some of my bills and saw I have 4 consecutive new hundreds with one of them being numbered 43218484 so it combines the ladder and repeater as well as having three others in consecutive order. But I don’t know if that’s really of interest? And I have another hundred with 11113051 as the code. Unfortunately not all five 1’s are next to each other. Any thoughts?

29. Jeffrey Strain says:

Larger bills like that really need to be unique for collectors so my guess is it would be difficult to get more than face value for them.

30. Sandy says:

Hi, I have a $20 bill with the serial number 27372738. Do you think its worth more than face value?

31. Jeffrey Strain says:

It might be worth slightly more to a collector, but not enough for the time and costs you would need to sell it.

32. Francisco says:

Hi I have a few 2009 series a $100 that look weird. I have a LG 01501414 A , a LC 01535841 star note, and a LB 66607604 note. Think I should hold Em? Thanks man in advance

33. Jeffrey Strain says:

Higher denomination notes are more difficult to sell unless they have a truly unique serial number. It would likely be difficult to sell the LG 01501414 A and the LB 66607604 notes for a profit. There are always demand for star notes, so the LC 01535841 star note would probably be of interest to a collector, but since it’s an typical serial number , it isn’t going to make you rich.

34. CallMeSir says:

I found a dollar bill that’s serial number is: 94666490
    If it wasn’t for that last zero I know it would be worth something.

Do you think it is still worth something? Thank you for your sharing your opinion.

35. Jeffrey Strain says:

It might be worth a little bit, but probably not enough to be worth the time of trying to find a buyer. You’re correct about that last zero.

36. jenn says:

I have a one dollar bill with the first four numbers of the serial the exact same does this mean anything and is it worth anything? ps the first four numbers are 6666

37. Jeffrey Strain says:

No. Even if you could get a little bit more than face value, it wouldn’t be worth the time and effort it would take to sell it.

38. jenn says:

I also recently came across a 1893 Columbus exposition half dollar I did some research on the history of it, pretty cool.. what does it go for now adays its in good condition not mint condition, anything there?

39. Jeffrey Strain says:

I’m not a coin/note dealer, so I can’t give you advice on anything other than the notes with collectible serial numbers. Apologies.

40. Tyler says:

I came across a $1 bill a few weeks ago. The serial number is 34035791. Yes, nothing special but it’s what is on the back that really caught my eye. Printed on the back perfectly lined up with the front but in reverse is the mint mark, seal, and serial number 34035792. What could this be worth?

41. Jeffrey Strain says:

Error bills are always in high demand from collectors, so it will have some value. Your would need to go to a coin and bill dealer to get an accurate valuation of it.

42. Tyler says:

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely have to do that and see if there are any in my area

43. Red says:

I just came across an interesting bill. Its a $100 dollar with a STAR. The bill is dated 2009 and the serial number is as follows: LC00919282 followed by a Small star.

Is there any good value in it? it is crisp, as if out of the printing press…

Any input or feedback or collectors interested in it.

Many thanks!

Red.

44. Jeffrey Strain says:

$100 star notes without any other significance associated with the serial number usually sell for about $20 – $25 over face value. Had the bill been LC00919822 instead of LC00919282, it might have brought more of a premium with the birth year in it.

45. jose says:

I have a 100 dollar bill with a serial number in the back? Is that worth anything? It looks like it could be an error print

46. Jeffrey Strain says:

If you think it might be an error printing, you would need to take it to a coin and bill dealer to ascertain its value. If it is an error, then it has some value.

47. Tyler says:

Sold the bill yesterday for $80. Pretty satisfied with that. Here’s to hoping I can find another one like it someday.