Gender Tax: 10 Things Women Pay More for than Men

women pay more

Recently, there have been a number of stories in the news about how women pay more for certain items than men. If you’ve ever gone into a store, you might have noticed that similar products for men and women do sometimes have a drastic price difference. Unfortunately, this is an all too common occurrence. Here are a few items that tend to be priced higher for women than men:

Dry cleaning

Have you ever gone to drop off some dry cleaning and noticed that a dress is maybe $5 more expensive to clean than a man’s suit? Or that a woman’s blouse is a bit pricier to clean than a man’s dress shirt? There are often a lot of excuses given for why a certain item costs more to c

This entry was posted in Cars, Credit Cards, Food / Groceries, Insurance, Personal Finance, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Gender Tax: 10 Things Women Pay More for than Men

1. ms says:

Out of curiosity, when you assembled this list did you come across a complementary list of things men pay more for than women?

2. When we got our life and disability insurance policies, we discovered that men pay more for life insurance and women pay more for disability.

Paying more for cars and car repairs REALLY bugs me!

3. getforfree says:

I am a woman and I don’t use most of the services listed above.

I don’t use dry cleaning or make up. I use deodorant and shampoo, but I don’t think it costs more than those made specifically for men. I think regular shampoo costs less than the one that is specifically for men. Our whole family (we have a man, a woman, boys and girls) can use the same shampoo and the same bar of soap.

I have never had bought a new car, and never used repair shops, my husband maintains and fixes our cars.

I don’t have a health insurance.

I buy my clothes on clearance, most are 80% off or better. There is more woman’s clothes in any store than men’s, so you get better clearance choices. Also women can wear more different types of clothes, like pants or skirts, dresses. I have both boys and girls, and I would say, it’s easier to find more selection and better discounts on girls clothes than boys. A boy can wear a pair of pants for 1 year or so and then it will get too small. A girl can wear the same skirt for about 3 years because it doesn’t really get small, just too short, and the skirts can be various length’s as oppose to pants. Girls dresses usually last 2 years before they get too small. Tights last long too because they stretch.

The things that costs more for women are the things that men don’t need, like feminine pads and tampons. Haircuts, if used a salon, but we cut our own hair. Women tend to have longer hair, so they might use more shampoo. Women might use more shaving cream to shave their legs, but I only do that in the summer, so no shaving cream is needed for me in the winter time at all. Also, men tend to be taller and bigger than women, and boys bigger than girls same age, so they might need more food.

The men and women are just different and have different needs, but I don’t think being one cost more than the other.

4. getforfree says:

Maybe just let you husband deal with the cars, so he could get charged less for the same service.

5. Jeff says:

How often do women actually pay traffic citations when they’re pulled over? How often does a woman pay anything at all when she goes on a date with a man? Never? I work with a single lady who admits she flirted with a Chrysler dealership sales manager to get a brand new Jeep Liberty at invoice price, a crazy discount!

My Right Guard deodorant, Gillete shaving products, Head and Shoulders Shampoo, AND Dove+MenCare products ALL cost more than whatever my wife uses.
    I find this entire article to be misinformed and slightly offensive.

6. Debbie M says:

Men pay more for car insurance.

Women pay more for hair cuts.

Men generally get more pockets, even in coats and blazers.

Men probably pay more for high heels and other things that generally only come in women’s sizes.

And as getforfree says, it’s harder to find used clothing for males, and for kids, pants have to be replaced more often than skirts and dresses, both because there is less leeway in length and because the knees go out.

7. getforfree says:

I got out of the ticket once, but I don’t think it’s because I am a woman. I didn’t flirt with him. I am not super pretty and don’t usually wear make up or fashionable clothes. I shop clearance and don’t have a fancy hairdo, I have long hair and keep it in a ponytail.

I apologized to the police officer and I was so upset, I just started crying.

I think, sometimes it doesn’t matter whether you are male of female, black or white. I was just lucky.

8. Tony says:

Women expect not to have to pay in many situations where men do. I remember in my younger days when I used to work in a club. When I worked in the coat check, so many women expected me just to let them check them for free, which is something I only did for good friends. Some would get quite angry when I refused. On the other hand, men always expected to pay.

This is just one example, but I know there are others.

9. J says:

I think it’s disgraceful and all you apologists are obviously misogynists who basically just need to leave the world now. It’s men who got us into this mess and women who are getting us out!!!

Women were kept from the workplace for years and as a result they are paying the price to have to compete in a masculine domain. It’s obvious that men should be taxed more to make up for the damage they have done.

10. J says:

This makes my blood boil. You should have reported him for harassment. No matter what you did there should be no reason EVER that a male police officer should be intimidating a defenceless woman so much that it makes her cry.

He should have a fine to pay and contribute to a womens’ group to prove he is truly sorry.

11. Alan says:

Of all of these the one that grates me the most is the healthcare thing.

Women pay more for health care insurance because they typically live longer than men, a disparity I’ve never seen any feminist care about.

If women were dying earlier than men it would be a major feminist issue and we’d be wearing ribbons and holding awareness events, calling it patriarchal discrimination and talking about men’s privilege.

But when it’s men dying early we just blame them for not seeing doctors enough, and publish articles about how women pay more for healthcare?