The $500 Mistake

$500 mistake

We all have different personalities and things that we find fun. For many years, I’ve known that I am not the sort of person who enjoys going out to crowded places and doing the “typical” Friday and Saturday night activities of movies, restaurants, and bars/clubs. I’m also not thrilled by crowded athletic events or concerts. Part of it is the high price tag associated with many of these activities and part of it is that I just don’t like crowds. But a few weeks ago I made an exception. Some old friends came into town and they are definitely the sort that like to have crowded fun. They want to do what everyone else is doing, or what’s “hot” in t

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Entertainment, Personal Finance, Relationships, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The $500 Mistake

1. getforfree says:

Some people think it’s fun to be in a noisy crowded place. It’s not fun for me, it’s hard work to put up with all that noise. So, unless I am getting paid or earning money or getting something I need (like groceries and household items) almost for free with coupons or something, why would I make myself annoyed with all those people?
    I love being by myself. It’s way more fun that getting tired from a noise and a crowd. That’s why I usually shop late night or very early morning (so I could be back before kids get up for school) when the stores are almost empty and no traffic.
    Sometimes I feel like I would do anything to avoid people and all their noise and them taking my space and wasting my time all the time.

2. jodi says:

wow. great article. sometimes i feel that way.- the resentment part. kinda felt it a bit last wk actually. not always though. you win some you lose some. you never know if you r going to have a really goo’d night out or not. sometimes it’s a tossup. but you usually do end up spending too much money.

3. Kharisma says:

Excellent advice!

4. Minny says:

I wonder if sometimes we think that we SHOULD enjoy these ‘good time’ things and that is why it’s so hard to say no thanks!

5. audrey samz says:

What a relief! I thought I was the only one that “doesn’t know how to have a good time”. Glad to hear I’m not alone in my desire to not hang out in crowded, loud, annoying, valueless venues. The money spent is just adding insult to injury. Maybe we can start our own club? :)

6. Gailete says:

We were given a gift card to a restaurant and so we decided to try it out. Opened the first door and we were assaulted by the noise coming out of the place and they weren’t playing Beethoven which we might have been able to handle, LOL. We turned around and walked away and ended up at one of our favorite eateries. The gift card was given to someone else.

My husband and I both hate noisy crowds. While I can handle more people around than he does, we don’t ever voluntarily put ourselves in that position ever, nor would we spend $500 on a weekends entertainment just cuz some friends wanted to do those things.

7. getforfree says:

We are not weird. It just that some people sometimes trying to make us feel guilty about not wanting to waste our time and hard-earned money on things that are not fun.