21 Reasons Dave Ramsey Sucks at Giving Credit Score Advice

Dave Ramsey credit cards

There are huge disadvantages of having no credit score. I actually know this better than most. After living over ten years in Japan, I came back to the US naively assuming that the credit history I had built over there would transfer back to the US. That wasn’t the case and I found myself having to deal with numerous situations without a credit score. From my personal experience of having to deal with all the negatives that come with having no credit score, as well as knowing a number of others who experienced a similar situation to me when they returned, I can say with conviction that Dave Ramsey gives horrible credit score advice.

For those unfamiliar, Dave Ramsey refers to a credit

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Credit Cards, Debt, Education, Housing, Insurance, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Travel, Work and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

75 Responses to 21 Reasons Dave Ramsey Sucks at Giving Credit Score Advice

1. Susan Jones says:

Tracy, I doubt that his house would be available to search, but it would be poor advice to put millions of dollars of cash into a home (a potentially depreciating asset depending on the market) when you could borrow that money pretty reasonably, using the cash for other investments. I know I wish I hadn’t paid cash for the homes I have purchased,but market conditions were what they were.

And Dave HAS had credit cards because I remember him saying that he was unaware that companies were cutting back available credit to customers until it happened to him.

2. Joshua says:

Sorry, but this article is off base. Using a credit card as your emergency fund is not the same as having a liquid emergency fund, nor would I recommend it to anyone. I’m not sure you fully understand Dave Ramsey’s system.

3. jeffrey says:

Yes, I do and I know that. I said that a credit card can sometimes be used as an emergency fund when it isn’t possible to access cash like in the case of the Hanshin Earthquake. I didn’t say that a credit card was my emergency fund.

4. sTeaLth says:

I really couldn’t disagree more with your article. While I respect what you think as your opinion, you’re wrong. Just because our culture is debt based doesn’t make it a good system. People like Dave Ramsey have proven, by using biblically based examples, that it is a flawed system. One example he uses is that he, being a millionaire, can go try to rent an apartment and be turned down. He would be able to write a check and buy the entire complex flat out, but he can’t rent one because he doesn’t have a credit (debt) score. He hasn’t proven that he can pay back debt. Regardless of how much money he has to his name, he can’t be trusted. That is a broken system.

Aside from that is what the Bible actually says on this issue. You may not know Jesus Christ yourself but the system is still proven time and time again in Christian’s lives all over the globe and all throughout time. No matter how much resistance they have, the truth is still the truth. It will continue to be the truth until only the truth remains. See below. :-) I hope you read all of this. Sorry it is so long.

Proverbs 22:7
    “The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is the slave of the lender.”

Proverbs 11:15
    “He who is surety for a stranger will suffer, but one who hates being surety is secure.”

Romans 13:8
    “Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law.”

5. sTeaLth says:

You said, “And the main fact is that you don’t need to go into debt to have a good credit score as Dave claims.” That contradicts basically all of your article. Not to mention it is totally opposite of the truth. Debt IS Credit. You can’t get or keep a good credit score without being in or getting new debt. It’s like talking about ice but ignoring water. They are literally the same thing. The link you actually referred to in a previous post on Dave’s website completely goes against this statement. I pasted below from the link you provided yourself.

—————————————————

How is your FICO score determined?

35% of your score is based on your debt history.
    30% is based on your debt level.
    15% is based on the length of time you’ve been in debt.
    10% is based on new debt.
    10% is based on type of debt.

6. Jeffrey Strain says:

I never said that the system wasn’t broken. I said in the current system, people need a credit score. Your example proves it.

7. Jeffrey Strain says:

I have never been in debt and have a good credit score. Just because you use a credit card doesn’t mean that you have to go in debt if you pay it off each month. You seem to not understand how credit cards work. There is no debt if you pay them off each month and you don’t accrue interest charges.

8. sTeaLth says:

The only thing my example proves is what Dave continually talks about throughout all of his classes. It takes a little more work to live debt free but it is completely possible. You are making it sound like it’s totally impossible for someone to live today without having debt. Millions do it every day. It takes disciple. Which sadly, most Americans don’t have a clue how to practice. Debt is a crutch that our culture has created and sadly it can only hold so much weight. Eventually it will give out and you will be crushed by everything you piled on top of yourself. That isn’t to say that some people manage it better than others. Overall, it completely sets you up for failure. To say you have to “work harder” to do things is a VERY poor argument when it comes to explaining why someone would need credit. Simply put: Work a job, save up to pay for things, and do some research on living arrangements (you can get a home loan or even rent an apartment with a 0 on your credit score).

Also, to say that those Bible versus support your article is completely false. I really hope you are just talking and don’t believe that.

9. sTeaLth says:

Debt doesn’t necessarily mean doesn’t roll over to the next month. Debt means you are promising something you haven’t given yet. Regardless of if it is paid off by the end of the month or not. It’s debt.

In regards to you paying off your credit card in full every month before the balance is due… that does NOT build credit. In fact it can hurt your credit. I found an article to prove this point from a few years ago. Here is a little of it:

“Paying your credit card balance in full but using most of your credit limit every month can actually hurt your credit score. In that sense, your spending habits aren’t “fine.” You don’t get extra points for paying in full, even though it’s financially smart to do so. The score relies on information in your credit report, which doesn’t indicate that you’ve paid off the balance. What it does show are your monthly balances as reported by creditors.

Despite your habit of paying in full, the monthly reported balance on your credit report may not be zero. The amount on your report will reflect the account balance at the time the lender supplied it to the credit bureaus. If your statement balance gets reported, then your credit report will show that you’ve used 90 percent of your available credit. The higher the reported balance is in relation to the limit, the worse the impact on your score.”

I have been teaching this stuff for several years and I know what I am talking about. See the full article below.

10. Jeffrey Strain says:

“In regards to you paying off your credit card in full every month before the balance is due… that does NOT build credit.”

That is simply not true. If it were, I would have no credit because it’s the only thing I have that could build credit after I returned back from Japan. I have a credit score. And a good one at that.

If you read the article, it says it may hurt your credit score if you are charging 90% of the limit each month — again, a simple way to avoid this is to get a higher credit limit (it doesn’t matter because it’s being paid off in full each month) so that you aren’t so close to your limit.

Again, this actually proves that having a credit card and paying it off in full each month does affect your credit score which contradicts your statement that it doesn’t build credit.

11. Erik says:

LMAO!!!!! Your an idiot but Thanks for the laugh, FYI dave works and has interviews thousands of millionaires and wealthy people who do not have any credit score and live life without issues. You like a credit score well good for you YAY!!!! But really who the hell cares what you think or what I think, your opinion just make me laugh.

12. The problem, of course, is that Dave is talking to millionaires and I’m talking to the average person. Once you are a millionaire, you don’t need a credit score if you don’t want (although it’s still in your financial favor to do so) because you have the money to self finance…until you get there, you do for the reasons I explain above.

13. Deandre says:

What a refreshing post. I’m tired of all the Dave Ramsey parrots out there that can’t actually think for themselves. If you’re a multi millionaire, you might not need a credit score, but the average person does unless they want to pay more for everything.

14. Willis says:

I’ll start with part of a quote guys; author quotes Dave Ramsey: “In other words, stay in debt for as long as you can.”
    Author: This is patently false as I currently have no debt whatsoever and yet have a good credit score. Others do too.”

And yet to use a credit card is to go into debt BECAUSE you are borrowing money! I rate this article 1 star for a simple but crucial logic error, you cannot borrow money and be debt free!

15. I don’t think you understand how credit cards work. You are only in debt if you don’t have the money to pay off the credit card each month. If you pay off your credit card each month in full, as I do, you never have to pay any interest charges.

16. Well, Seth, I have put over 500 families through FPU, taught it for Fortune 500 companies, have sat in the radio studio with Dave twice, had dinner with him, been to his Christmas party, and was asked to be the first certified FPU corporate trainer in the state of Texas. For six years I was the only ELP he endorsed South of San Antonio and Houston. I’ve been in the financial industry since 1996 and spent a decade as a stock broker managing millions of dollars for my clients. And I can tell you that it’s my professional opinion that 13 of the points don’t have anything to do with going in to debt.

Yes if you have Dave’s cash you can afford to completely blow off your score. One client of mine had to pay $1400 more a year bc his credit score was 719 not 720. He paid almost $120 a month extra bc he missed the mark by one (1) point. At a cook out this weekend a friend said he had to call SEVEN electric companies before finding one that didn’t want to base their rates on his score. It’s called Risk Based Retail and it’s gaining momentum.

At no point has Jeffery said to be crazy or reckless with spending or debt. He said he lives debt free. Soon your credit score is going to encompass your education level, and all other aspects of your life. And it’s going to influence 85% of the transactions you make, even if you use cash. So, if you decide to have no score, you’ll end up paying more for the things that you buy.

I help people get debt free AND increase their scores at the same time. One client recently was able to eliminate $112,000 in debt in less than 6 months. One client, as we eliminated $18,000 in debt we boosted his score 150 points… In less than 90 days.

And, well Seth, up until now, Jeffery had never heard of you either.

17. jamie says:

If you have the cash, then it makes NO SENSE to pay off your credit card balance each month. That is backwards thinking…and societies corrupted indoctrination…JUST pay with cash…no brainer.Dave Ramsey is logical and speaks the truth, and has tremendous advice who has helped millions. He teaches how we are to manage money the way scripture says. Try it sometime… It’s life changing, along with peace, freedom, and great joy. Dave teaches to build wealth,not credit(credit equates to debt, which go hand in hand.) Broke people ask, how much a month and how much down. Wealthy building people ask, how much. Go figure…Dave knows what works. He just makes sense.

18. Jeffrey Strain says:

You’re saying it makes no sense to save an extra 3% – 5% with each purchase, plus get extra protections while giving you a higher credit score? I’m not sure why that makes no sense..,

19. jamie says:

There isn’t a wealthly debt- free person out there that will say that’s how they became wealthy, by saving 3-5% from credit cards. I understand how confusing that is for some, especially when we’re conditioned to think like the majority.I used to think the same way. You can’t build wealth when debt is involved. It’s an oxymoron.

20. Jeffrey Strain says:

There are plenty of people who are wealthier than they would have been had they paid cash. Do you throw away coupons for products that you normally buy that save you a small percentage on the food you buy? Not using a credit card is doing the exact same thing as long as you pay it off each month. Pay cash if you don’t like saving money, but don’t say it’s financially savvy to do so.

21. jamie says:

I am sure there are people who will pay off a credit card balance each month, but if that’s the case, why not WAIT a month to save the cash to buy the product, then there wouldn’t be that opportunity to pay off a balance. Statistics show that consumers will spend 17% more “on average” when using a credit card verses cash. So, saving the 3-5% is just one way to keep a person using plastic. Also, wealthy people can still be frugal when it comes to using coupons.(not against using them.)Again, if a person wants to be taught how to manage money well, then hang with those who know and then pass the blessings to others. Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still. Jeffrie, I wish you well.Proverbs 22-7 Dave Ramsey ROCKS!!

22. Allied says:

Thank you for a wonderful article. People who blindly follow Dave Ramsey aren’t thinking for themselves. There is no such thing as no credit score, you can have a low score, bit not 0.

I too pay my cards in full each month. Recently moving cross country was a breeze. Used the cards, got 3% back in rewards, and paid the cards off before due. I’ve been in travel emergencies where a credit card saved the day.
    Much of what Dave teaches is good, but the idea that you should ALWAYS shun credit cards is absurd.

And though I have no debt I’m proud of our 780 credit score! It shows employers, insurance companies, etc that I’m a good risk. I’ve taught my children how to do the same and life is good (even with me being on disability). Smart money management is all you need.

23. jamie says:

SMART? Smart management does NOT mean debt…DEBT IS DUMB, CASH IS KING. You can’t build wealth with debt…There IS such a thing as a “zero” credit score. Anything above that means, “I love debt score.” Dave makes millions and doesn’t have a credit score. How do you explain that? Dave doesn’t just speak to those who make millions of dollars, because I am one of them and now debt-free. He also speaks to the average person. Those who faithfully listen to him would truly know that. I am a faithful listener of Dave Ramsey but before Dave in my life, I used to have a credit score(with a fantastic credit history) and blindly thought that it was NEEDED, but now my score is zero.Thanks to God through what Dave teaches. Using cash speaks volumes. You can’t build wealth with debt.(makes no sense.)I,along with thousands of others, don’t want to be a “slave” to the lender. ***A debit card can be used for your travel emergencies. Using a credit card is what is considered blindly thinking. Wish the best.

24. Jeffhinsac says:

@jamie

Sounds like you needed Dave’s system and I’m glad it helped you.

But that doesn’t mean your not wrong about credit cards or paying for a car with financing in full before the interest starts..

Most purchases made in the world you sign a contract and transfer funds, if you pay with “cash” by writing a check it takes about a week to 10 days for the person to actually have that money in hand. Up until then it can reverse (bounce) and even if you cashed it you were using a system of promises and honor.

Credit cards extend that to 20-31 days before it’s actually debt and financing can be interest free for 6-18 months. There is no difference and unless you pay in physical cash it’s all a promise to pay.. When I worked in purchasing for a company things were done with purchase orders, payment due on delivery or 30 days after. Dave’s office does the same, it’s how the world works.

Now I must say some can’t live in that world (you) and millionaires don’t have too, but that doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t be debt free and still use finance mechanisms.

Good luck to you but if your true to living debt free (pay all you owe and never take a loan again) you still have credit and it can be good , there is no need to have bad credit just because u don’t use it for the credit cards or car loans, do it for your family so if u go belly up you can make payments to the hospital instead of it going strait to collections. Do it for your self so when u get fired your next job offer doesn’t skip you over based on low or no score, do it for insurance which is based on your score and has nothing to do with debt..

Here is a shocker to most, having a credit card and burning it then never using can build credit if it’s one that doesnt require activity, or if it does put your netflix on the card then have it auto pay from your bank account .. Credit will build since that $8 is less than 10% of the card no matter how little the limit and then
    Burn it and your bank account still gets debited $8 a month..

Better yet set up autopay and call it “netflix” instead of capital one and it will even show in your statement the same as it does today credit card free, then have your credit address changed to your sister or cousin and they can just toss it.. Without statements or a card to remind you then you can pretend it’s not there.

I know I went overboard but I thought the comments were hilarious, I was in dept once, more than I could pay in a lifetime, I changed my ways and live dept free thanks to Dave ! Just kidding about thanks to Dave, never heard of him or mr stain until today,, lol but I’m living debt free, no balance on cards, score too low to get a premium job (recruiters have told me) but it’s going up every month,

25. PCR says:

I’m a bit confused on the logic of Zero Credit. I say ‘confused’ because if a person only wants to pay in cash and has the cash available for a purchase, how hard is it to charge it on a credit card and pay it off with the cash?
    So you’re going to buy a couch? You’re going to spend $250 for the couch? You know you have the ‘cash’ in your bank account. Wouldn’t you like to be rewarded for spending $250 on a couch? Then why not use the credit card to your advantage. You set the credit limit, say $500, and you get cash back on the card for every purchase. So how hard is it to charge the $250 for the couch then pay off the credit card 3 days later? Now let’s say that credit card rewards you with 5% cash back on purchases. You charge $250, pay off the $250 a few days later and at the end of the credit billing cycle, you’re getting back $12.5. Did you pay interest? No.. but they paid you to use the card.
    I’ve spent over $20K on my to reward credit cards since January. I make weekly payments on these cards because I have the cash for the purchase. Since I make the payments on the credit charged, I’ve paid ZERO interest but have received back $325 back in cash. All of this was done because I bought items with my cash. Yes, it’s one little step more to paying for the item but it’s so rewarding to see my statement read: Zero Interest paid, Zero Fees & $12.5 back in cash.
    If you know the rules to credit cards, you’re responsible and pay off what you purchase, you can be rewarded in return. Credit cards are NOT the enemy, viewing credit as cash is and treating credit as a checking/saving account is wrong. Just because you have a $5000 balance does NOT mean you have $5000 in cash.
    Make credit pay you, not you paying them in interest.
    I’ve been using my credit cards like this and my credit score is in the 800s. They haven’t punished me for using credit responsibly.