10 Ways Getting Out of Debt is Like Running a Marathon

debt reduction is like running a marathon

Getting out of debt is an exhausting process that often requires a well thought out plan which needs to be accomplished step-by-step over a long period of time. When you’re buried under piles of dept, sometimes it feels as though you’re drowning in a pit you can’t climb your way out of. Fortunately, there are always ways to get yourself out of debt. Just as the process is similar to dieting, in many ways it can also be compared to running a marathon. You have to know your limits, pace yourself, and keep you mind on the finish line in order to achieve your goal.

Motivation

Motivation is one of the most important aspects of running a marathon and getting out of debt. You ne

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Debt, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to 10 Ways Getting Out of Debt is Like Running a Marathon

1. Roy says:

The marathon takes a lot of dedication, persistence, consistency and endurance. Getting out of debt is much the same, so the comparison is a good one. The personal reward in terms of satisfaction can be great with either.

2. Michael says:

As someone who’s recently taken up running, this hits home on so many levels. I’m not specifically going for a marathon, I was just trying to lose some weight and get a bit healthier.

In that sense, my original goal wasn’t defined, it was just ‘do something different’. For me, getting out of debt was similar. At first, just struggling to change some habits, even before I’d committed myself to getting out of $35k of debt, was very hard. Stopping that impulse purchase, waiting a few days to rethink about buying something, etc – all of those took some getting used to.

Likewise, with running, my first goal was simply ‘get moving’. In December, I start running on a treadmill. I could do about 6 minutes, and was slow, and out of breath. It hurt. I was in pain, but I’d done something. Last month I ran 7 miles in just over an hour. If someone had told me in December “go run 7 miles”, I’d have thought they were crazy. If my goal at the start was “run a 10k” (in any amount of time) and then I’d started and hurt after 6 minutes, I’d have given up.

For me, my initial goal was just getting the basics – running a bit, or with money, cutting out stupid stuff, setting up a small recurring savings ($25/check). Once I’d showed myself I could do those, I moved on to larger things. At some point with the money, I saw a bit of momentum, and started to increase my activity there until I could see some real possibility of paying off the debt (it took ~3 years). With the running, I’m at a point where I can now run 5ks and have done a 10k – I may realistically plan for a half marathon next year.

But all those things listed above are key. I hurt my foot last night running – I’ve gotta take a few days off. It’s a small setback, but knowing how to deal with it, and that it’s not a catastrophe, are key. Same with money – one emergency or one bad decision shouldn’t set you back to 0 – just roll with it and keep moving in the right direction.

3. Minny says:

The family and friends part is very important – with dieting as with debt. If your friends go out buying for a hobby every weekend – just as if your friends are always eating if you are dieting – then being with them is going to draw you back to the old way of life, either spending and increasing your debt or eating and increasing your weight.

Hard choices to make.

4. Rick says:

Great article. I’ve sprinted out of debt on many occasions but always ended up back in debt. I’ve finally figured out that getting out of debt slowly while saving money in an emergency fund is the way to go. I’m still in debt, but I feel confident that once I’m out of debt, I’ll stay that way.

5. Barton Goth says:

Great Article!!! As a closet runner and a bankruptcy trustee, I enjoyed the read. You have done a nice job of summarizing what is required to stop the endless interest and move forward!

6. Mike Della says:

Love the meme! That’s right. With debt, even if you’re making small payments towards your debt it’s still something. The snowball effect works for many people, but I like paying down the smallest payment first and then building from there. This works well for those who have limited income and want to see some progress but likely can’t pay off the big payments at once.

7. VikingFan100 says:

There is still other options for everyone…a lot of good comments on debt.

8. Kara says:

If you really have that much debt (which you shouldn’t ever get into in the first place), it’s time to take drastic measures. Cut your living costs to almost nothing:

1) Buy food in bulk.. dry food.. frozen food.. whatever is cheap. It might not taste good, but it’s cheap and is a temporary solution until you pay off your debt.

2) Cut all cable TV, internet, gym memberships, whatever else is a monthly expense that you don’t need.

3) Cut transit costs. Drive a cheap car (or better yet, none at all). Use 4AutoInsuranceQuote for insurance ($25/month). Use GasBuddy for gas (save $100/month). If you have access to public transportation, sell your car and use it.

4) Don’t get haircuts, manicures, your nails done, or whatever luxuries you indulge in until your debt is paid off.

5) Try to spend $0 each day. If you don’t need it, don’t buy it.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.