Blowing the Wealth Bell Curve

wealthy

I’ve been doing online surveys and focus groups for years as a way to earn a little extra cash in my lazy moments. I get a lot of surveys about the economy, credit cards, and financial services. Most of them are all the same, boring questions. Recently, though, I got a survey about “wealth” that made me howl with laughter.

After determining that I was “wealthy” enough to participate in this survey by asking about my income and the source(s) of it, the questions turned to my purchasing habits in regards to luxury brands. Do I purchase luxury brands? If so, which ones? How much do I spend on luxury brands? We went on with this through luxury cars, clothes, watche

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Frugal, Personal Finance, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Blowing the Wealth Bell Curve

1. honour says:

The truly wealthy I meet and work with as ‘celebrity’ speakers seem to live on other peoples’ money. They are feted, given the best accommodations, clothes, auto leases, goods, services, swag bags gratis [pronounced grateeeessss] for non verbalized promotion. Many collect these from others and offer them for cash re-sale. Of course nothing is declared for tax so the value is nearly doubled. What bothers me most is that they complain and bad mouth the sponsors as the product never seems to be high end enough for their egos.

2. baselle says:

I don’t whether I’m wicked or what, but surveys like that bring out the fiction writer in me. I’ll giggle through my sleeve and invent a persona who is crazy or stereotypical to what the marketer is thinking of. Let ‘em believe what they want. Matter of fact, its better if the marketer doesn’t know about us. :D

3. Happy 4th of July to you!
    Excellent summary of what does count and what are in fact stupid, meaningless questions. We are wealthy by using our brains, thinking things over and going to Outlets to buy top quality for a fraction. We have our own taste and often when sitting in the living room we discussed what item each of us could name that we’d bought because of advertising (any advertising) and the answer was: 0.
    Guess that is the reason if one can live frugal and use common sense instead of spending impulsive because others do too, we come to our wealth and we appreciate it even more.
    Keep up these great topics.
    Mariette

4. Anders Jorgensen says:

Hello Jennifer

Interesting post. It seems like most people have some prebuilt ideas of how a wealthy person is and what kind of personality there by. Of course with wealth you assume the more expensive lifestyles like private jets and so forth. Whatever we do as human beings it all comes back to what we think. I do agree with Mariette here that the wealth is in our mind and by our thoughts + our actions towards the goal.
    Regards,

Anders Jorgensen

5. Greg says:

I wonder how much of this goes on in surveys — especially online surveys. I know some people don’t care what they answer when doing them. They just want to fill it out as quickly as possible to get whatever rewards goes with it. it seems it would make them pretty inaccurate if enough people were doing this.

6. Minny says:

I’ve read ‘The Millionaire Next Door’ and so should the researchers of this survey. Private jets, what a laugh!

7. Gailete says:

Just curious as to how much they were paying ‘wealthy’ folks to take that survey? Surely it wasn’t one of those $1 ones. You would think if they were really wanting to waste a wealthy person’s time they would make it worth their while.

8. Jennifer says:

That’s funny. Come to think of it, I think the points worked out to about $3. Not a huge amount and yes, you’d think they’d pay more. (Maybe they figure wealthy people don’t need the money!)