You Didn’t Have to Buy That to Have Fun

golf cart hot rod

We’ve got a several neighbors who have recently splashed out for new golf carts. Why? So they can ride around the neighborhood and just see what’s going on. Note that these purchases were made solely for neighborhood joyriding. We don’t live in a golf community. These people don’t play golf. These people are not mobility-challenged in any way. We don’t live in an area where you can commute to the store in a golf cart. And our neighborhood isn’t that big. (I know from my marathon training days that it’s a two mile loop, or basically one mile across.) It’s a classic case of one person bought a golf cart (the “cool” person in the neig

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to You Didn’t Have to Buy That to Have Fun

1. diana says:

I think people buy stuff just because they don’t know any better. They buy into the commercials telling them that buying things will make them happy.

2. Ev says:

Well, I agree splurging money on a golf car isn’t the best idea financially or practically as you mentioned in your story; although, seeing that we don’t know much about the 3rd party who bought that golf car (if they are financially sound or poor), it’s probably best not to argue whether they made a good or bad choice. After all, if they are financially sound and they decided to make that purchase to bring greater joy to themselves, it is a sound investment regardless of how others think.

3. gregory says:

I find that the best times are spent with family and friends, and the cost has little to do with it.

4. John says:

I reckon people buy things because they think it will make them feel better about themselves, but it rarely does

5. Gailete says:

I would love to have a golf cart to get around and use to go get the mail, etc. but then I am mobility challenged. My in laws live next door, in our rural area the equivalent of about half a block away, too far for me to walk. But to buy one to go snoop on the neighbors defies all common sense. If people want to blow money, why not ‘blow’ it by helping give children in 3rd world countries needed surgeries like for cleft palate? There are plenty of people that could use what that money could buy and you would have joy in the giving.

6. gina says:

I agree. Since I know nothing about other people’s financial situation, I try not to judge when they buy things since it really isn’t any of my concern. if they can afford it, then there is no issue with them buying it.