I stopped by Chick-Fil-A this week for dinner, only to discover that they’ve discontinued my favorite side dish, carrot and raisin salad. I was disappointed because I don’t eat fries and it was always nice to have one place that served something else. Ah, well. This is just the latest in a long string of discontinued items, businesses that have gone out of business, companies that have raised prices to prohibitive levels, and brands that have changed formulas resulting in less desirable products.

I used to get really upset when I’d walk into a store only to find that my favorite products were no longer being carried, or that they had undergone changes that made them worse.

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Thank You For Saving Me Money

1. Sharon says:

sometimes we save money because we don’t want to support a company (Chick-Fil-A) racial practices :)

2. Jenny says:

I’ve never had chick-fil-a, so I don’t know about their carrot salad, but here is a really easy-to-make one that I find pretty tasty. You only need carrots and raisins (of course) plus mayo and a can of crushed pineapple. Grate the carrots, then drain the pineapple and keep the juice. Mix some or all (depending on how large of a salad) of the juice with mayo to make a dressing then stir the dressing, pineapple, and the raisins into the carrots. Then leave to sit for a couple hours before eating. Yummy.

3. Christina says:

Relevant to saving money by preparing fast food items at home:
    Anyone want the recipe for McDonald’s special sauce for Canada Day or July Fourth cookouts? Here it is.
    Prep Time: 10 minutes
    Cook Time: 1 minute
    Total Time: 11 minutes

Ingredients:

1/4 cup salad dressing (like Miracle Whip®)
    1/4 cup mayonnaise
    3 tbsp French salad dressing
    1/2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
    1 1/2 tbsp dill pickle relish
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tsp dried, minced onion
    1 tsp white vinegar
    1 tsp ketchup
    1/8 tsp salt

Preparation:

Mix all ingredients, and stir well in a small container.
    Microwave on high for 25 seconds, and stir well again.
    Cover, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

4. jim says:

Sharon,
    You sound like a moron.

Chick-fil-a is one of the most decent NON-discriminatory businesses out there. WTH is this racial discrimination allegation? Kind of like the gay guy baiting the order taker. Only embarassed himself.

5. Christina says:

So my make-it-at-home recipe for a restaurant’s secret sauce doesn’t fit in with the make-it-at-home carrot and raisin salad content of the post, but a post telling the first poster she sounds like a moron gets approved?

6. jeffrey says:

I never saw that comment and since you have commented before, it would have gone through without being moderated. What I think happened is that we had our server go down a couple of days ago and lost about 6 hours worth of data — you must have posted during that time. Greatest apologies on that.

Edit: Oops, it was there. It simply didn’t get approved right away because i was in my car all morning and just sat down to the computer.

7. getforfree says:

Why wait until you are forced to find replacement? Whenever I like a certain product, like cleaner or salad, or cake, I always wonder how is it made and if I can make it myself. And if I can make it cheaper, why wait until they discontinue it?

8. Christina says:

Thanks, Jeffrey. A server issue is the only possible answer, given the content. I should have known!

9. Minny says:

Hey Jim, that is not cool.

10. Minny says:

Here is a great cook book!

The Takeaway Secret: How to Cook Your Favourite Fast-food at Home
    by Kenny McGovern.

It has great reviews on Amazon.

11. Gailete says:

My mom used to always make carrot salad and I loved it especially if she put chopped walnuts in it. By the way, last time I was at Old Country Buffett they had carrot salad.

It is frustrating to not be able to find something you really like. After living in this part of the country for almost 40 years, my mom, sister and I kept wondering why we couldn’t find canned plums for sale ANYWHERE! Then one day I found them at Amazon.com no less. I have to buy 8 cans at a crack and they aren’t cheap, but they are good for you and taste good. I guess I’m not saving money, but it is fun to find those old favorites again.

12. Jo says:

I’m 100% on board with this.