Hotel Tipping: Day 140

The vacation guide gig started and today we left Las Vegas to drive to Utah where we will be spending most of this trip. On our way out, I suggested we make a stop at Valley of Fire state park (Nevada) which is someplace I think that anyone visiting the Las Vegas area should take a day to visit.

mountain sheep

valley of fire white sands trail

valley of fire arch

We also passed through Zion National Park on our way to our destination in Kanab, Utah. We didn’t have a whole lot of time with the previous stop at Valley of Fire, but one of my favorite short hikes there made sense since it was on our route and was only a couple of miles round trip. We decided to do the Canyon Overlook trail:

Canyon Overlook trail Zion national park

Zion national park Canyon Overlook

Some proof that I was actually there.

I also took a very sho

This entry was posted in Minimum Wage Challenge, Personal Finance, Travel and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Hotel Tipping: Day 140

1. david says:

The problem I have with tipping is that if you tip everyone every time, you nickel and dime your budget to death whenever you take a vacation. I might leave a small tip on the last day of a hotel stay, but not everyday unless I make a special request.

2. Samantha says:

A friend of mine, who is a bartender, once told me that “TIPS” stands for To Insure Proper Service, and it’s true, particularly in a bar. I generally leave $5 per drink tip for the first round if I’m in a new bar, and I get awesome service all night. I so rarely go to bars, usually only when I’m on vacation.

I’ve worked enough service jobs, and enough minimum wage jobs that forbade accepting tips, that I am generous tipper. If I can afford to go out and do *whatever* I can afford to tip.

3. Melissa says:

We love Valley of Fire and it is always worth a vist. That is great that you saw sheep!

4. CB in the City says:

I am a generous tipper, too. My son worked for years as a server and the tips made all the difference to him in his income. He did excellent work and deserved good tips! I rarely am served or helped by anyone who I think is undeserving of a tip.

5. Jenny says:

For longer hotel stays, you could refuse maid service for the days that you are staying over (do you really need the room cleaned after only sleeping it anyways?). Then no one will have to clean your room, and you won’t need to leave a tip. Maybe have housekeeping come in once in the middle of the week if you want fresh sheets and towels, and leave a tip on that day and then when you checkout.

This will save you money, but still allow you to tip for services provided.

6. Tony says:

Nice thing about Japan is that tipping is extremely rare. In fact, I do not recall ever having to tip anyone here. That is one part of the culture here that a definitely like better.

If only there was a way the US could do away with the custom and raise the wages of workers to compensate. It is much better that way.