10 Laundry Gadgets That Save Money

When it comes to doing laundry, there are a lot of little things that you can do to save money. There are ways to save money while using both the washer and the dryer, and there are also a number of gadgets that you can purchase that can help to reduce the costs of doing laundry. Below are some of those gadgets that are worth considering to help you save even more money when you do laundry:

Woolzies

For those looking to reduce laundry expenditures, Woolzies are a great product to try out. They’re dryer balls that reduce the amount of time you need to dry your laundry and eliminate the need for fabric softeners and dryer sheets. They’re also made from New Zealand wool, reducing th

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to 10 Laundry Gadgets That Save Money

1. greta says:

I love my clothes line! There is something about the smell of clothes that have been dried in the sun. it saves me a lot because I hardly ever use my dryer these days and it is an activity that I have grown to love. it gets me outside and gives me a bit of exercise as well.

2. dave says:

I think the biggest money saving laundry gadgets are an actual washer and dryer. I lived in an apartment for years where I didn’t have these and I had to go to the local laundromat to do my laundry. The cost of doing it adds up quickly and having your own washer and dryer pays for itself quickly.

3. Donna says:

A big wad of aluminum foil in the dryer works like a dryer ball, plus it prevents static cling. Best of all, it’s cheap if you recycle some clean foil.

4. I use dryer balls and stain remover, and have actually been looking for a wash bag for delicates. Otherwise, some of these gadgets seem a bit unnecessary. A hanger organizer? Sock rings? These items would end up cluttering drawers before being put to good use. And all that’s required for drip-drying sweaters and other delicate garments is a hanger and a door frame. Done and done!

5. creditcardfree says:

This article reads more like an advertisement for these products to purchase than ways to save money.

6. Edith says:

This doesn’t sound very safe — heating up aluminum foil in the dryer. Can someone explain to me the science behind this as why it works and if it really is safe?

7. gwen453 says:

I stopped drying sweaters with a hanger on the door know when I realized that doing so stretched out the collars of the garment and they didn’t last as long. How do you keep that from happening?

8. Samantha says:

Not a gadget, but ….

Don’t use detergent and bleach in the same load, ever. One negates a lot of the power of the other (don’t remember which negates which). First thing my Grammy was taught when she worked in a laundry in the 40′s.

Use half as much detergent as the smallest gradation on the measuring cup. Seriously. Excepting serious stains which you should spot treat before washing anyway, it will get your clothes just as clean. I regularly aim for 1/4 to 1/3 the detergent, and occasionally even run a load with no detergent at all. It’s amazing how much residual soap is in your clothes and machine. My clothes, and most notably my towels and bedding, feel less stiff and crunchy using less detergent. There’s a LOT of filler in detergents. If you use powder, it’s like 80+% salt.

The active ingredient in Oxi-Clean is sodium carbonate. Sodium carbonate is available for much cheaper if you just buy a box of Washing Soda. Washing Soda is not baking soda, baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. Heating baking soda will convert it to washing soda, but I haven’t yet tried it.

9. jay says:

Agree

10. Debbie M says:

You’re supposed to dry them flat. I hang mine on my drying rack so that it’s folded over a bar, but that can also let it stretch out longways. I could lay one flat across the top four bars and it would be mostly flat. There are also sweater drying racks you can buy–I think some are made to go across the bath tub. Just laying a sweater out on your bed probably isn’t good–you might be asking for mildew–it’s better to get air circulating on both sides.

11. Pingback: The Simple Dollar Weekly Roundup: Grilling Edition - The Simple Dollar

12. Amazonite says:

I believe your assumption about OxiClean is incorrect. The active ingredient is sodium percarbonate, which is not the same thing as washing soda or sodium carbonate. Sodium percarbonate includes hydrogen peroxide (oxygen bleach), which is what gives it the cleaning/bleaching powder. From their website:

OxiClean®
    Sodium Percarbonate: According to research by Laundry Alternative, OxiClean® consists of 50 to 60 percent sodium percarbonate. Sodium percarbonate must be added to water to be activated. When activated, it breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate in solution. The bubbling action, or the release of oxygen molecules, loosens stain molecules from fibers so they can be rinsed away.

13. The static is eliminated when it touches the metal, like when you get a shock after walking across a carpet and you touch metal. As for safety I has been using foil balls a long time with no problem. Remember, you usually are putting metal in your dryer when you put in zippers and such. This actually works really well and is very cheap!

14. Gailete says:

When our last washer/dryer (apartment type machine) bit the bullet my husband bought a washer/dryer in one unit that fills from the front and dries by dehumidifying clothes. It takes a long time (up to 4+ hours) to run a cycle but I learn really quick that our water usage dropped $20 a quarter as that was our only change. We are now on a well so water usage isn’t as critical other than the electric to pump it. Within a week of that machine coming into the house I stopped using fabric softener of any kind. The clothes, because of the way they dry, don’t get static cling. I dry all my delicates on the dryer rack to preserve the clothes and elastic in them and get the next load in. The machine takes about 1/3 of recommended detergent. I use the top of the machine as one place to dry a sweater flat (and that is how you are supposed to dry sweaters–flat as not only can the collar stretch out, the whole length of the sweater can grow longer and longer if you hang it). The one thing I have to remember is after running any load that I hang up to dry, I have to run a load that I will dry in the dryer as that dries out the inside of the machine as well and keeps things from smelling. The cost of the machine was high but I think we have more than made up for the cost of the machine so far with less detergent, less water, and NO fabric softener to set off my allergies!

15. shannon says:

I use a tennis ball in the dryer and it works great.

16. Angie unduplicated says:

My experience is that two inexpensive stain removers work superbly. The first is beautician-strength 20 volume clear peroxide, which will take bloodstains out even if you’ve already washed the item in hot water and dried it in the dryer. The second: el-cheapo generic denture tablets. I dissolve two in hot water, in an old hair dye bottle. They may take repeat applications. Hairspray will take out Bic or other cheap ink.
    I love aluminum balls. Use more than one, for a full dryer load. The sock holders show promise for little anklets which get lost under the agitator.

17. gwen453 says:

Are the tennis balls to reduce static or to help dry?

18. Joanne says:

To stop my socks getting lost I wash and dry them in a wash bag

19. Tony says:

In Japan where I live, and I think a lot of other countries, clothes dryers are rarely used. It is just assumed you hang your clothes up.

It seemed odd to me at first but now using a dryer seems strange to me. It is in fact easier to just hang your clothes up and come back when they are dry than to play around with a dryer. And of course clothes last much longer. You do not realize how hard dryers are on clothes until you stop using them.

20. Robin says:

I would be concerned that the sun would fade the clothes, and unevenly! Plus pollen is an issue for some.