We Are All Going to Die

grave stone

A few years ago, I faced my mortality head on. An unexpected allergic reaction nearly killed me. Up to that point I, like most people, hadn’t spent a lot of time thinking about death. Sure, I’d done the unpleasant task of making a will and other estate arrangements, and I’d buried a few relatives. But my own death was still an abstract concept. I knew it would happen but I managed to convince myself that it was a long way in the future. And, like most people, a part of me secretly believed it would never happen at all. (Don’t laugh. Most people have a little piece of themselves that believes they will be the one to cheat death. Self-preservation at its finest, I gues

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Relationships and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to We Are All Going to Die

1. honour says:

Writer is dead on! Cancer survivors quickly learn about their mortality rating from their insurance company if they didn’t figure it out from hospital, surgery, ghastly follow-up treatment etc.

The car you drive, the clothes you wear, the jewellery and commercials on TV become bumpf. What really matters is relationships with family, friends, colleagues and pets. Get your bucket list on paper and figure out what experiences are important to you and your loved ones. Take pictures. The pleasure you get reviewing happy memories is priceless. I had the photo of DH1’s first experience of success on a two wheeler blown up poster size for us all to enjoy for years.

2. jay says:

Excellent follow up to the article on purging!
    We faced the worst case scenario recently as we had to clean a hoard after a sibling suddenly passed. It was plain awful -and expensive; however, it taught everyone involved the importance of looking at your life and choosing not to burden others with what you will leave behind. I’ve been trying to pare down for years, saying I didn’t want my [adult] kids to have to deal with “it”, but this sparked major cooperation from my spouse as well as the “kids”.
    Deal with it TODAY.

3. jim says:

Well stated! Couldn’t agree with you more. Ha! I tell my DD and SIL that their children are going to be able to say, “you should see my grandparents house – it looks like a museum”.

4. Tony says:

I’ve moved a lot in my adult life and live in Japan now where space is more limited. These facts have taught me to limit my possessions.

It is for the better. For the stuff you do not buy, you probably didnt really need it anyway.

For the stuff you do not keep, you have saved time as well as space. Do you really want to think back so much anyway? Once they are gone, you are better off stuff from your past you only waste time going through.

5. JoeP says:

I feel the same way, but am perplexed about items of personal importance. I have known several who have passed away, leaving boxes filled with old photos and other items. It is a shame not knowing who those people are/were, or the importance they were to the owner. Nobody wants that stuff, making it hard to throw away. Keeping it only compounds the mystery for the person who will clean up after me!

6. Gailete says:

Weirdly enough, it was my getting ill that created a business which has brought so much stuff into our house (somewhere in the vicinity of 20,000+ sewing patterns). I thought I was dying I was so sick 11 years ago and so listed a lot of my sewing books on half.com to sell so my hubby wouldn’t have to deal with them ‘later’. Well one sold right away and I found I was pushing myself out of bed each day to go see if anything sold. And since things were selling, we found some more books to sell and soon we had a business going that gives me something to do and a reason everyday, no matter how lousy I feel, to get out of bed and deal with business. Books got too heavy for my hands and so we switched to selling sewing patterns on line. Since sewing is my hobby which I rarely feel good enough to do myself, I can sew vicariously with my customers. As I hobbled out to put some packages out in the mail today there were three older people talking next door. Realizing that they were all in their 70’s and 80’s and me in my late 50’s, I knew that I felt about 100 years older than them. I feel like I stare death in the face daily as I deal with a chronic disease. But it was my facing death in the eye that got me into a totally different place than I had been before.

7. Karl says:

Good, unique insights. I need to get going on some of this. A kick in the rear.