The Paradox of Stuff: Own Less, Use More

stuff for sale

Most of us tend to think that more is better, especially when it comes to our “stuff.” If two pairs of shoes is good, ten must be great. If a library of thirty DVD’s is good, a hundred must be better. If having fifteen board games provides a lot of entertainment, a library of fifty must provide even more entertainment. And on and on it goes, with many of us accumulating far more stuff than we can or will ever use. The funny thing is that our belief that more is always better works against us when it comes to stuff.

When you have too much stuff, much of it often languishes, unused, in the closets and cabinets. Why is this? Isn’t more better? Isn’t it better to h

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Paradox of Stuff: Own Less, Use More

1. jay says:

Agree 100% How many times do you hear someone say they “need” a bigger place because of their things? Think of how much money, time, thought is wasted trying to organize all that stuff….
    Learn to enjoy empty spaces.

2. JD says:

Exactly, still reducing stuff.

3. Teresa says:

I fight the more memtality every day! I am slowing winning the battle, one day at a time!

4. Aleta says:

I have been of the same mind of owning 2 of everything in case one breaks. I’m getting better about that. Am also starting to put on Craigslist and garage sales items that I’ve had for many years that need to move on and to simplify my life. I feel that by owning less; you clean less, and less items to occupy your mind and space. I think that you think better when there is less clutter or things around.

5. Jen says:

I have decided to cut all unnecessary spending this month because I realized I was just buying so much stuff! I know that I have everything I need and plenty of what I want. I have very limited space and not a huge budget. I really don’t feel like I’m missing out by not buying random things that cross my mind that I “need.” If at the end of the month I still feel strongly that there is something that I’d really like to have, maybe it’s worth having. I also found that this extra spending cut is giving me the chance to look at how much I already own and donate what I can and throw away the rest. It’s been a great experience so fare and I highly recommend it!

6. Gailete says:

I have plenty of everything. The only thing I would like more of is shoes that fit and are comfortable. I’ve been wearing the same pair of sandals all summer (and most of the spring and fall) for 11 years now. They are pretty worn out looking and my sneakers are really uncomfortable. I would just once like to step my toes into even a fraction of the amount of shoes most woment own, but alas my foot size and knee replacements don’t leave me much options. For the rest, yep I can happily get rid of lots of stuff!

7. Diane says:

This is all true! I’ve been decluttering for years and I’m still not done, but I’m much more careful about what I buy now. I don’t want to own more things I’ll have to get rid of later… I know exactly what clothes I own and they are all things that fit & that I like & wear. I have limited shoes & purses, but I use them all. It’s worth the effort to own less & use more!