Lost Week: Day 42 – 48

foggy

It’s been a rough week where I have had minimal productivity. I realized after the low vitamin D diagnosis that I had been doing some things on my own to fight the effects which weren’t particularly healthy including eating a lot of junk food and gaining some weight. Upon understanding a bit more about what was going on, I decided that I needed to make changes. Unfortunately, I may have rushed into making the changes a bit too quickly.

The problem with the vitamin D deficiency is that taking the high dose pills doesn’t rectify the deficiency right away. From others that I have talked with who have had it, it appears that it takes a few weeks to several months before the fu

This entry was posted in Health, Minimum Wage Challenge, Personal Finance, Work and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Lost Week: Day 42 – 48

1. Tiff W says:

Gosh I hope you are feeling better soon! One thing you could have the doctor check: (you won’t like this) is your testosterone levels. My husband and a friend’s husband both were diagnosed with low testosterone and low vitamin D – My husband is taking both now and back to normal, but he was pretty down (physically and emotionally) for awhile until he started taking them.

2. loretta says:

have you tries taking 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar 3 times a day? I have recently started doing this and it helps so much.

3. jeffrey says:

I don’t think testerone is part of the issue since my body feels fine physically. At this point it’s all in the head, but if I do feel that my body is beginning to wear down, I’ll certainly keep that in mind.

4. jeffrey says:

No, I haven’t — and at this point, I’m willing to try almost anything. I’ll see if there is any in the house where I am house sitting and if not, I’ll buy some the next time I drive by a store.

5. Samantha says:

Your body makes vitamin D on its own when you get a little sunshine. I would spend as much time as is practical outside. If the weather is temperate enough, take your laptop outside to work.

A little caffeine to get past the fuzzy is something many people around the world do every single day, don’t beat yourself up over it. I would try to stick to more natural things, like tea, coffee or chocolate, and avoid syrupy concoctions that have caffeine.

6. Debbie M says:

Sounds like you could really use one of those treadmill desks. Sadly, they are not portable enough for your nomad lifestyle and not inexpensive enough to afford on minimum wage.

But maybe you could try moving your work station higher up, like on a kitchen counter, so you can at least stand and maybe sway side to side or lift your heels behind you while you work. Or if you work on a laptop and can find a chair with wheels, maybe you can walk/scoot yourself up and down a hall (or around the kitchen if that’s the only room with no carpeting) while you work.

(One thing about working at home: you don’t have to look professional (except on Skype); you just need professional results.)

Good luck!

7. I hope you get to feeling better soon, as it sounds like a horrible problem to have. Good job on the money challenge though, even though I am sure it’s little consolation when you are feeling that crappy.

I am currently taking 8 week classes to where I can have at the most 4 classes going on at the same time. It’s sort of like the 3.5 week ones you talk about with intensity and not doing anything except eat, sleep and study. It always helps me to watch my diet, exercise and get the heck out of the area for awhile. Sorry you are so foggy.

8. Teresa says:

There are those seasonal disorder sunlight lamps. Hope you find something that works!

9. Marsha says:

I have been wondering about you. Have you been back to the doctor? I’m just wondering if this might be something more serious or maybe I’m just a worrier. Quite likely.
    I certainly hope you feel better soon. I didn’t know having a Vitamin D deficiency could do this to a person. I’m just a little surprised in light of you being outdoors so much hiking and whatnot.

10. Minny says:

I’ve just looked vit D deficiency up and it seems 90% is made from sunlight exposure for a surprisingly short time per day – during the summer here in the UK, better if you live further south.

Apart from that this is what is said.

excellent food sources (greater than 5mcg per portion) of vitamin D include 2 teaspoons cod liver oil, 70g sardines, 100g tinned salmon, pilchards or tuna, 110g of cooked mackerel or herring and 130g cooked kipper

This might be worth looking at for your healthy snacks – not sure how popular kippers are with you and a pilchard is a larger sardine sort of fish. Herrings are small and bony cold water fish, kippers are smoked versions – not popular these days! Sorry if you already know all this.

I take cod liver oil capsules for arthritis, but take them as you start a decent meal as they can ‘repeat’!

11. Minny says:

Not made myself clear there. In the UK in winter there is not sufficient UVB in the winter, if you live further south then there will be UVB in the sunlight in the winter.

12. Crystal says:

I went through a Vit B deficiency a few years ago. My hair and eyebrows started falling out I was so low. I was so tired I could barely walk across the room or concentrate. It does take about a month to get to feeling more human. Sorry. I feel for you! Hang in there. It does get better.

13. Nikki says:

I’ve missed seeing your posts – I hope you’re doing better!