Free Hobbies and Vitamin D: Day 39

vitamins

It appears that we have found the culprit to my fuzzy head. All my blood tests came back within the normal range except for my vitamin D test which came in well below what it was supposed to be (for those familiar, it came in at 11). This actually surprised me quite a bit because I spend so much time outside, I really didn’t think it was going to be the issue. Apparently I’ve been doing a good job (too good) at covering up and putting on sunscreen.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a quick fix (although it won’t be long-term either). I have been prescribed high dosage vitamin D pills which I have to take for 12 weeks. At the end of that time I will get my blood tested agai

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Health, Minimum Wage Challenge, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Free Hobbies and Vitamin D: Day 39

1. I was also diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency recently. Just wondering are you a vegetarian? My doc said it is common for vegetarians to have this?

2. ElisabethP says:

When it comes to vitamin D, there are some/many problems. First, it must be vitamin D3, (NOT D2).

Then the D-vitamin has some helpers, whom are very important. So, to have the best and a working combination, it is not enough with vitamin D3. You need some magnesium, zink (I also believe that zink and selenium cannot live without eachother), vitamin A, vitamin K2, some calcium and some other minerals and vitamins.

People with complaints of “fuzzy head” should be extremely thourogh with bloodworks, besides vitamin D3, also of thyroid function, vitamin B12 and some other things.

Second, you have to study, read all the information yourself. Do not trust the pharmacy companies, not even all MDs can be trusted. Sorry, says a physician/MD from a country where all citizens are vitamin D-deficient in winter.

3. creditcardfree says:

Vitamin in relatively inexpensive…so great news! I love that sea glass, it is beautiful.

4. CB in the City says:

How interesting. I live near a beach; that could be a retirement hobby. No fancy equipment for me, however!

5. Debbie M says:

I got diagnosed with a Vitamin D deficiency not long after I starting using sunscreen every day. It got caught in a regular annual physical, so I didn’t get to the foggy-head stage. After the high-dose prescription, I started just taking a regular supplement (though I was not told to). And this has worked and is keeping my Vitamin D levels in a decent range.

6. jeffrey says:

No, I’m not.

7. jeffrey says:

The best places to find seaglass is in areas where there were old dumps along the coast. Some beaches have far more than others. A simple google search should help you find the best beaches to find it in your area.

8. jeffrey says:

I’m hoping that is what will happen with me. Fingers crossed that it ends up being being a relatively simple and inexpensive fix.

9. jeffrey says:

Yes, this could have turned out to be much more costly. I’ll just be happy if I don’t have the foggy head all day.

It’s funny with the seaglass. Some people find it beautiful while others think it’s the most ridiculous thing in the world. I like it, but I do it more for the challenge of the hunt (and why I give it all away)

10. Wowitsawonderfullife says:

I have a vitamin D deficiency as well. I really noticed a difference after about 4 months of taking a supplement. I also take a B12 supplement.

11. jeffrey says:

I’m hoping that the fuzziness goes away before then, but I’m assuming that it will gradually start to fade as I get my number up.

12. Aleta says:

There is a Vit D3 Liquid supplement made by Sundown. It has 5,000 iu and in the beginning I took 2 doses a day. Ask your Dr if you shouldn’t be on a liquid rather than a tablet. Liquid goes immediately into your bloodstream whereas a tablet has to be broken and (we hope) digested.

I’ve read many articles that say by putting your hands out in the sun for 20 minutes a day solves a lot of these problems. We DO NEED sunlight. There are times of the day that are less harmful than others.

13. Wendy says:

When I was working at the reference lab 2 years ago, about half the Vit D tests gave low results- including mine. The prescription drugs got mine up to low normal within a few weeks, and now I take an OTC supplement. When you switch to the supplement, make sure it is D3. I use the gel caps, easier to swallow. Because I do not have a calcium deficiency and do have a history of kidney stones, I don’t take the supplements that have Calcium and Vit D. I also switched to a lower SPF sunscreen and tried to spend at least 15 minutes per day in the sun. I know lots of people advocate taking multiple supplements, but there are some that will make you sick if you get too much. Vitamin D is one that can cause problems at high levels.

14. Jo says:

Both orange and red glass are very rare and if you’re lucky enough to find those colors, yes, you will earn some decent money. I once watched a special on the science channel (is there any other?)regarding sea glass. The beach location was an inlet in the San Fran/Oakland bay area. The individual did not want to air to the host where precisely he was doing his “beach combing.” He got in there by kayaking and used, like you, very few and inexpensive tools. The wetsuit was a must. That water is downright frigid, being from San Diego myself.