Fuzzy Head: Day 37

Optometrist eye test

I’m pretty sure that my doctors think I’m nuts. Since my head has been “fuzzy” for a few weeks (and has progressed to the point where it was getting difficult for me to get anything done during the day), I decided that I better try to find out what was going on. The fist stop was at the optometrist:

Optometrist: “What seems to be the problem?”

Me: “My head is fuzzy.”

Optometrist: (giving me a funny look) “So, you’re not seeing well?”

Me: “No, I can see perfectly fine.”

Optometrist: “You can see fine?”

Me: “Yes.”

Optometrist: “So, why exactly are you here?”

Me: “I think I can see fine, but my head is fuzzy, so maybe I think I can see fine, but in reality I just think that I can, but I really can’t, and that is why my head is fuzzy.”

Optometrist: (with a look of complete confusion on her face) “I think that we should test your eyes and see if we find any issues…”

This is the first time I think I have ever been to see an optometrist in my adult life. I had no idea all the tests that they do. The results of the tests were that my right eye has 20/20 vision and me left eye has a slight astigmatism, but that overall I see fine and don’t need glasses unless I want them. My eyes were not causing the issue.

I next headed to my regular doctor and once again explained that the reason I was there was because I had a fuzzy head. After me trying to explain exactly what was going on, she said that she didn’t know what exactly was causing it, but had a few ideas of what it might be. Although she didn’t think it had anything to do with my heart, she wanted me to get an EKG just to make sure it was working properly. She thought that it was likely a thyroid issue, a vitamin deficiency issue or sleep apnea. She wanted me to get blood tests to see if it was the thyroid or vitamins, and if they both checked out, then do a sleep apnea test.

I took the EKG and the results came back a few hours later showing that everything looked normal with my heart, so that was ruled out. I took the blood test, but the result from those won’t be available until tomorrow.

I really don’t like going to the doctor unless I have to. While in theory I am all for preventative medicine, I’m not likely to go to the doctor unless there is something really wrong with me. The problem here was that the fuzziness was something that I could live with. I finally made the decision that spending the money was worth it because I realized how much it was affecting my productivity. It ended up being a financial decision in the sense that it wasn’t allowing me to be as productive or do all the things I wanted to do. Now, I realize that this isn’t the best reason to go to the doctor (I probably should have gone in earlier as soon as I noticed the fuzziness to be preventative), but it explains why I don’t mind spending the money in this case, especially if we can ultimately fine the culprit. The optometrist and doctor visit both came with a $25 copay, and I have a $10 copay for both the EKG and blood tests setting me back $70 on my minimum wage challenge.

Today’s Spending

Car: $0.00
Housing: $0.00
Travel: $0.00
Health: $555.00
Misc: $19.00

Total: $601.89

(Photo courtesy of Plutor)

This entry was posted in Health, Minimum Wage Challenge, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Fuzzy Head: Day 37

1. creditcardfree says:

Maybe this challenge is causing you to have physical problems that are due to stress. I hope whatever it is…you find a solution soon.

2. FrugalTexan75 says:

I’m not a doctor, but from what you’ve said about the “fuzziness,” I’m surprised they didn’t schedule a cat scan. I hope the doctor can help you get this figured out soon.

3. Brandi says:

I have pernicious anaemia – one of the symptoms is brain fog.. similar to what you are feeling. Hopefully the doctors figure out what is wrong!

4. Erica says:

When you say “fuzzy” do you mean that you feel like you’re head is in a cloud and it’s hard to pull information out? This was one of the signs that I had a food intolerance.

5. tryingtosaveadime says:

I used to get fuzziness as well and it was allergies…started taking a nasal spray and it went away.

6. Alexandria says:

I think it’s fairly standard to rule out the low cost/simple/less invasive blood tests/EKG type stuff before jumping to the more expensive procedures. Plus, with the concerns of thyroid, they probably would not want to do a Cat Scan anyway? (I know from experience – the radiation is of concern).

Regardless, I hope blood tests is all you need to figure it out!!

7. I really hope you are feeling better! Geez, that must have been a scare. Way to go on the spending (or lack thereof!)

8. jacob poorman says:

@OP You really do have a fuzzy head to write out a whole paragraph to justify spending $70 copay. Um yeah I hope your health is worth 1 days tips as a waiter or delivery driver. Try paying FULL PRICE, you will be glad you are writing on virtual paper so you don’t soak the real stuff with your tears.

9. My English Castle says:

I hope they find out what’s causing this, Jeffrey. Feel better soon!

10. jeffrey says:

You might want to read why I am writing about that here and while I only had to pay $70 in copays, I am paying $485 a month so I only have those copays. Always difficult choices when on a minimum wage budget.

11. jeffrey says:

I certainly hope not — I certainly haven’t felt that much stress up to this point. I’ve just had to spend more time thinking through decisions than i would normally.

12. jeffrey says:

The way I described it to the doctor is when you first get up from an afternoon nap and you’re not fully away and everything seems “cloudy and fuzzy” Except that is how my head is most of the day…

13. jeffrey says:

It really hasn’t been scary as much as frustrating. It’s like trying to wake up fully and you can’t, but it’s only my head. My body feels fine and nothing hurts, it’s just difficult to focus.

14. CB in the City says:

Do you ever feel faint? You might need a tilt table test. I don’t know if those are expensive, but it seems pretty low-tech to me.

15. jeffrey says:

Nope, I don’t feel faint at all. Just fuzzy. It’s definitely not like when you get up quickly and get a head rush.

16. mimipaula1 says:

I have felt the same way when I have had a sinus infection. Hope the tests you took prove all is well with your health!