Valentine’s Day: The Battle Between Frugality and Disappointment

Valentine's Day hearts

This time of year there are lots of tips about how to save money on Valentine’s Day. Advice abounds about ways to show your love for free and alternative gift ideas such as coupons for kid-free days and taking over your partner’s chores for a weekend. While all of these are very valid ways to show your love and save money on Valentine’s Day, they assume that your partner will be okay with a completely frugal holiday.

Unfortunately, many people have partners who adore Valentine’s Day and who will be disappointed if they don’t get at least some of the traditional trappings. Usually these partners are the women, but I do know some men who really enjoy Valentine

This entry was posted in Frugal, Holidays, Personal Finance, Relationships, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to Valentine’s Day: The Battle Between Frugality and Disappointment

1. Sara says:

I think I’m still waiting on the best vday gift ever received… but Im giving a really good one this year of NHL tickets next week, so its kind of a gift for the both of us!

2. MomofTwoPreciousGirls says:

This will be sappy, but seriously, the best gifts I have ever given AND received are my daughters. Ages 5 and 3 (&3/4 as she will tell you).

Nothing my husband and I have done can beat that!

3. CB in the City says:

Worst Valentine’s gift I ever received? A dozen red roses, given with the air of, “Well this is stupid, but it’s what you want, right?”

Best one: a dozen red roses from a secret admirer with a mushy note about my beautiful eyes!

4. tls simms says:

my hubby took me to new orleans for valentine’s (before hurricane katrina) ..thanks

5. Joan says:

Best gift I ever received: A HUGE nutcracker statue at Christmas from my best friend.

Best give I ever gave: Hmm. Probably the sneaky one I gave the same friend – she’d gotten professional pictures done of her son, but didn’t have the money to order many, so I went back and added a BUNCH of big items to her order and surprised her with them!

6. The best gift I’ve received was an hour long massage! I would never buy one for myself so it was an awesome treat. The best gift I’ve given was a group effort by my sisters- we surprised my parents for their 25th anniversary with a limo that picked them up and took them out to a nice restaurant (we obviously covered the tab!)

7. Jennifer says:

Although I’m one of those people who LOVES Valentine’s Day and doing something special, beyond all that is purchased or eaten, my favorite gifts are the heartfelt notes that come with it – the time that was spent sharing true feelings and loving sentiments!

8. Selene M. says:

Best gift was getting my engagement ring lost diamond replaced by hubby. Best gift given was the surprise 50th anniversary party for my in-laws.

9. Wendy says:

The best Valentina’s day gift ever. It was a scavenger hunt. My husband left a Valentine’s coffee cup on the kitchen counter. Next to it was a clue. Each clue tole me a reason he loved me and led to a place in the house. As I found the next clue, it was accompanied by a couple of chocolates. The scavenger hunt was clever and sweet and FUN!

10. runinboise says:

Gosh, I don’t know what was the best I have given or received. I am taking my friend out for lunch for his b-day this week, but I don’t think that will be his best gift ever. lol

11. JD says:

Best gift ever was a lot of roses and nice dinner out.

12. Megan Blumenthal says:

The best gift I ever got was a scrapbook my friend made me of all our memories together. I loved the thought and effort she put in it!

13. min says:

best gift received: diamond ring
    best gift given: time

14. Therese says:

Great ideas!

15. Emi says:

Bests gift was my twin daughters. Worst gift – long stemmed roses and chocolate for a first date (too cliche)

16. Gary Black says:

Love is first in all things. Then, the gifts will just enhance everything.

17. Angela E says:

Best gift I’ve received – massage gift card from my boyfriend. The best gift I’ve given – This really kickass homemade wooden chess board and chess pieces to my boyfriend. He LOVES it and it looks wonderful on shelves.

18. Annmarie W. says:

My hubby to be gave me a pinball machine…the same Christmas I gave him a fussball table! Instant gameroom!

19. cathy henatyszen says:

Best gift I ever received was a garnet ring on my 16th birthday

best given… well, I try really hard to give great personalized gifts… the hand tooled leather wallets I used to make were really great

20. Amy Peschel says:

My children. I don’t know what the gift would be that I gave.

21. Lee Broom says:

My best gift was my husband loving me and marrying me! I don’t have a worst gift.

22. Melissa says:

best gift I ever received was the gift of a breast reduction. best gift was a pair of earrings, given anonymously to someone who would love them.

23. laurie damrose says:

My hubby and children are the best gifts I ever gave and receieved

24. Diane says:

Best gift was an iPad.

Worst gift was a pair of men’s gloves.

25. Angel Jacklyn says:

THE BEST GIFT I EVER RECEIVED WAS A PROMISE RING & BOUQUET ON V-DAY. THE BEST I HAVE EVER GIVEN WAS A HEART-SHAPED GLASS BOTTLE WITH A LOVE POEM SCROLL INSIDE! =)

26. Angel Jacklyn says:

TWEETED THE 52 WEEKS SAVINGS CHALLENGE-> https://twitter.com/kytah00/status/298551938042183683

27. Cheryl Chervitz says:

The best gifts were always the handmade ones from my kids. Not sure that I have given anything great that I remember, not really big on Valentines.

28. Valerie says:

I think one of the best gifts I received and given is a home cooked meal. My hubby put lots of thought into what to cook, cooked it, presented it beautifully, it was delicious, and I didn’t have to worry about it costing too much, I didn’t have to go anywhere (I’m a home body) and I didn’t have to clean up afterwards. loved it and I love giving the same gift to family and friends.

29. Patricia Oliver says:

I was given a beautiful cedar chest many years ago. I gave my daughters & my son vehicles for gifts.

30. domestic diva says:

A beautiful love letter.

31. Lori P says:

My husband wrote me a letter with a poem in it.

32. jenni webb says:

Travel is the best I’ve given and received!

33. HaydenRossi says:

Don’t know about best, but most recent–I LOVE the earrings that my hubby recently got me during surgery recovery. Not only are they beautiful, they were unexpected. Big time brownie points right there. :-)

34. sandra says:

the best gift received was a heartfelt note. the best given was a scavenger hunt

35. shelley says:

I made an oil pastel of the chapel my hubby and I were married in and he loved it.

My fave was a fleur de lis diamond necklace.

36. Terri says:

I received a laptop and I gave season tickets to a playhouse theater

37. received? love
    Given? My kids

38. CarolH says:

Best gift: Tickets to see/hear The Canadian Tenors (now The Tenors) in Florida.

39. Judith R. says:

The best gifts I have ever received are books that I never would have thought to read if I hadn’t received them as gifts. The most expensive (best?) gifts I have ever given are gifts to my children. I tend to give them on their birthdays whatever they had been saving up to buy.

40. steve weber says:

I received an ipad.. I gave an awesome SLR lens for a camera.

41. Allie L. says:

Laptop. I’m not sure what the best gift is that I’ve ever given…maybe $50 Sephora gift card to my mom.

42. Jo says:

We celebrate Valentines Day a few days befoe or later too less crowded and cheaper

43. Emma says:

I’m a fan of not celebrating and doing plenty of things throughout the year! Nice post :)

44. Caroline says:

I too don’t like ‘Hallmark holidays’, but still enjoy Valentines if it is heartfelt. I think that’s the key – if it is sincere and considerate of the receiver, then it is a good thing.
    The best? Well, that would be when my husband proposed to me, on bended knee, ring and all. A bit cliche, yes, but it took a lot for that shy young man to do that.

45. Lisa R says:

flowers and candy…my husband goes crazy on me for xmas though

greatest gift i ever gave was to my son and he loved it….a fajati maker….he said it was the best thing ever according to him…..LOL

46. Gabe A. says:

A night of intimacy. Giving my complete an undivided attention to someone that needed to talk/vent.

47. Alicia K says:

a polly pocket toy when i was little

48. kelly nicholson says:

What is the best gift you have ever received and what is the best gift you have ever given?

i once got breafast in bed..it was a mess

49. Trillina Palemi says:

that i have received .. a bag
    that i have gived the elettronic cigarette for my mum :))

50. Krista Grandstaff says:

The best gift has been the cards my kids make each year…and the best I have every given… a set of drums for my husband because I knew he really missed playing :)