Clicking Clutch and Ghost Redwoods: Day 21

muir woods bridge

If you haven’t noticed yet, I love the outdoors. One of the things that I wanted to make sure while attempting this minimum wage challenge was that I still got outdoors on a regular basis. With January 21 being a free entrance day to all national parks (and after the failed attempt to go out on a date on the 20th — she never responded again, so I guess I really was stood up) I decided to head to one of my favorite hiking areas in San Francisco Bay Area — Muir Woods National Monument.

Truth be told, I usually don’t go to national parks on the free entrance days. They tend to be a little too crowded for me with everyone taking advantage of the free entrance deal. Since

This entry was posted in Cars, Minimum Wage Challenge, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Clicking Clutch and Ghost Redwoods: Day 21

1. OP says:

FYI,

My JEEP COMPASS 2009 developed a clicking clutch… and it took the JEEP mechanics 6 visits to try and figure out what was wrong. they decided it was best they just rip it out and put a new one in because they had absolutely no clue.
    they still don’t know. it was a huge waste of time. So not knowing what it was, I guess they were not able to assure me that it was not a security risk…just food for thought. good luck!

2. Melanie says:

I am personally fascinated by the ghost redwoods that you talk about. I have never heard of them before. Thank you for making this educational as well as fun to read. :)

3. creditcardfree says:

You are doing awesome on the challenge so far!

4. Lee says:

Sounds like the clutch release (aka throw out) bearing is going out. This is a sealed bearing that requires the trans to be pulled to replace. It’s not something that usually completely fails and leaves you stranded but rather gives you plenty of warning by getting louder as the bearing continues to dry out from lack of lube. So you’ve got some time to explore your repair options. Let us know what your meachanic finds.

5. Alexandria says:

No matter how meager the means, car maintenance has always been my first priority. I’d have it looked at. Maybe because I could not afford to let problems get worse. With a much higher income, I am more willing to let things go a wee little bit more. Like I might wait a bit on something like that. But, on minimum wage, I think the car was the only big/maintenance type thing I owned, and boy did I need it to get me to work – so I didn’t wait at all with that kind of thing. Though I understand you run the risk of “I don’t hear anything?” when you go in too soon. Fair enough.

6. mjrube94 says:

Is there a local technical high school or trade school where mechanics are trained? If so, you may be able to bring your car there for service. The students would work on it, but would be under the supervision of the faculty.

7. DayByDay says:

That is so interesting about the ghost redwoods. I’ve been meaning to visit Muir Woods again. It’s been many, many years since I’ve been there, and I don’t remember those.

8. mimipaula1 says:

You’re doing a great job on this challenge, Jeffrey; thanks for allowing us to enjoy your written accounts of this experience!