10 No Spend Challenges Everyone Should Try

no spend challenge

If you’re looking for a way to get a new perspective on how you spend money, one of the best ways to do this is to do some type of “no spend” challenge. While there are a number of things that a no spend challenge can help improve, probably the main benefit is that it’ll force you to break spending habits that you may not have even known you had. By finding these spending habits, being aware of them, and then coming up with solutions to change them, you put yourself in a position to use your money more effectively and on the things that are really important to you. In this way, no spend challenges are a wonderful way to help you get some insight into your current per

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Credit Cards, Entertainment, Food / Groceries, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

98 Responses to 10 No Spend Challenges Everyone Should Try

1. Elaine says:

definitely more loan payments

2. Jamie Herda says:

I thought it would be easy! I was wrong. If you never left your house, it would be easy-LOL. I learned that pre-planning can save you money on incidental day to day items…they all add up!

3. Linda Walters says:

I have gotten to a point that if I cannot pay cash for something then I do not need it.

4. Brittany says:

I would gain more savings in a no spend challenge.

5. Daniel M says:

I wouldn’t gain anything because I’m broke and in debt and my spending is already as low as it can go and still survive (barely survive)

6. Emi says:

I have tried no spend challenges before and it is easy for us because we have an abundance of stuff at our house. Use what you got first!

7. Stephanie O says:

See how much we spend on eating out, that is unplanned.

8. Janet P. says:

I think I need to try a no Internet Shopping challenge. Looking over my Amazon bills for the past year is quite horrifying.

9. vickie couturier says:

oh i have done no spend challenges before an found Im quite good at it,but im thrifty anyway so it wasnt hard

10. Candice says:

I think I would learn how much unnecessary stuff I buy. I would try the No Impulse Purchases challenge.

11. Cassie Korando says:

I haven’t tried it before, but I believe I would save money from the little, unplanned purchases that add up throughout a day.

12. Jaimie W says:

It would let us gain the knowledge of what we really “need”, versus what we think we have to have.

13. Sara says:

I’ve tried the no fast food for a week or a month..its worked once or twice..but it is difficult

14. Diane says:

It’s very hard to have a no spend week. I’ve done no spend days sucessfully.

15. Jodi Boulier says:

I try to have No Spend Weeks! I swear every time I leave the house I spend a few hundred dollars. I live in the country and so when I go out I do all of my errands. Which is hard since I need to gas up, get groceries, stop for this part, that part etc. I also incorporated my summers to garage sale’s. I will make a list of things I may need and 90 percent of the time I will find them at the garage sales. I even bought a brand new refrigerator only 6 months old, stainless steel originally $3000 for $400 since they were moving and didn’t want to move it. I just ask people if they other stuff they are thinking about getting rid of. You can save so much, if you just put your mind to it.
    I have a bigger challenge this time around….with my husband in Afghanistan I will be trying to have lots of No Spend Day’s and lots of let’s put the money away days this year!

16. Annmarie W. says:

I would learn that so much of what we purchase is not really necessary

17. tls simms says:

I could gain a sense of accomplishment knowing I can control my spending and save money at the same time..I do not know how long I could do it but I will try in 2013! thanks

18. Therese says:

I’ve done no spend money on food at work, so I have to pack all my lunches, drinks and snacks. Really makes me aware of how easy it is for the money to add up.

19. Suzanne Shattuck says:

It’s funny that I ran across this. I have been using this technique for awhile now. My husband and I are both on disability so money is very short. This helps us see where and how we are spending.

20. petra says:

Depending on the no spend category, it might be hard at first. But eventually, I’d learn that there are a lot of things I can live without… and use the money I saved for an emergency fund, college costs, or investments.

21. patientsaver says:

I don’t find these challenges especially helpful. Most anyone can go a day without spending, and then go crazy on the very next day. I don’t think it really accomplishes much other than getting you to consolidate your spending into fewer days.

22. Pam says:

I do these often and they always serve as an excellent reminder of how often we spending money. Not to mention, it’s also a reminder of how much we spend unnecessarily.

23. San says:

It would stop any impulse buying and identify what my “wants” and “needs” are.

24. I’ll learn to make lists and take them with me! While I usually have a working list, I tend to leave it at home.

25. Gailete says:

Since I spend most of my time at home, most of these are moot points for me. I never touch coffe, but I do eat chcolate although I try to buy it on sale–still finding some good Christmas stuff on sale 50%.

Things like a limitied no food buying might have worked for me in the past, but my health makes it hard to cook some days so it is easier if I’m already worn out from running errands when I have to just to pick something up on the way home. It is hard to deal with food and cooking when you don’t feel good so you go for fast and cheap rather than homemade. I’ve been slowly trying to figure out ways to make fast food at home with out a lot of clean up mess to deal with. I’m seeing a lot of recipes on Pinterest for slow cooker recipes to freeze ahead of time and cook when needed. I know I need to study up and on my better days try to get at least one food product made up ahead of time and then frozen in meal size constiners.

It has been amazing to me how so much ‘saving’ money is focused on people that go out daily to work. No wonder the elderly and disabled have trouble because of already limited budgets, even if you are having a ‘no spend day’ and realize that you need your medications, you have to go buy them. Those of us at home need to find some other ways to have no spend days of some sort. It is hard to sit back and think of what else you can do since you are already skimping so much of the time.

26. domestic diva says:

I think we would gain a good perspective on where much of our money ends up.

27. Lillian says:

I hope that by not spending any money on coffee anymore, I will appreciate money just a little more!

28. Laura says:

We’ve tried no spend challenges and we can’t normally get beyond a week. It’s really the weekends that ruin it. If you didnt leave your house it’d work but otherwise it takes a lot of pre-planning.

29. misty farmer says:

I would love to try the no spending challange, would be hard!

30. Vonnie says:

With money being tight nowadays, we are in a no spend challenge already. :-)

31. shelley says:

I would pay more attention to what to what I spend my money on. I don’t really spend that much but I realize it adds up fast.

32. Cheryl Chervitz says:

It’s not that hard for me to have a no spend day. I don’t go out much, so its easy for me to not spend.

33. rebeka deleon says:

i would like to try this. i think my husband would have a harder time as he is the one always wanting to order or go out to eat. it would help us save some money which we never do

34. Joshua Brown says:

I am looking forward to trying some of these in order to save extra to pay off debt!

35. My hubby and I usually only buy things on a tuesday and a saturday or sunday. We normally do not go out to eat, in fact, it’s probably twice a year if that. All of our meals are usually home cooked, if not, we go to family homes if we are invited for dinner or just wanna get out of the house. We do not go to the movies, we watch movies at home. We never buy clothes unless they are a need, not a want. Any excess buying is if we have some money saved up and we know we can afford it without cinching ourselves too tight. We’ve become very savvy with our money although we don’t have any saved up since we are taking care of debt and slowly saving to get a house, so it’s been rough. It’s also hard when my husband is the only one working and I bring no money home at all. We only have one source of income and he can get laid off at any time, so we have learned to be careful and not spend where we don’t need to. Thanks for the advice and the giveaway!

36. Debbie M says:

I only buy organic chocolate these days, so your mileage may vary, but I’ve learned that, per ounce, chocolate chips are just about always cheaper than chocolate bars (especially if you buy the chips in bulk). Plus you might eat less at a sitting if you figure out the minimum amount of chocolate chips that satisfy you.

37. Kathleen M Smith says:

I lived in a very remote area for over a year and sometimes weather or other issues prevented me from going to town for 3 – 5 weeks. I learned that I had been spending a LOT of money on impulse buys, even though some of these were sale or clearance items that were good buys, the majority were not. I learned that buying in bulk and growing sprouts for fresh veggies was kind of cool.

38. Lori P says:

I’m looking forward to doing some of these things in order to put more money towards paying off debt.

39. Debbie M says:

The closest I’ve done was a no-sugar week, and I really had to plan ahead for that–I made sure there were no parties with friends or at work and I figured out something different to eat for breakfast.

Right now I’m tracking my spending, partly so I can make informed budgeting decisions. But side-effect is similar to having a no-spend challenge: I do slow down and pay more attention to my purchases. The first time I did this I would use an old checkbook register or a little notepad so I could record purchases as I made them so none would slip through the cracks. Now I use a spreadsheet. Refusing to buy something because I’m too lazy or too embarrassed to write it down is a good side-effect.

I like the idea of the no-impulse purchase challenge, but I automatically imagined myself putting things on the list like “cereal if it’s on sale” and “one dessert item,” so I could still have impulses, I mean, remain flexible.

40. Lisa R says:

believe me, when i was married to my first husband every day was a no spend challenge. He was an abusive control freak and never let me have any money and i learned to be frugal and he did it just to upset me because I was not a spender, it’s not like i ran up bills

41. Lisa R says:

I didn’t gain anything in that situation because he stole my money from a settlement I had and was stupid enough to put it in a joint account. I know when I was on my own with the 2 kids i handled money very well

42. Allan says:

I think it’s save some money doing this challenge.

43. KHBride says:

I’m a poor grad student, so it’s pretty easy to do the no spend thing. It does inspire creative activities

44. Samantha says:

I just need to get my husband on board. :D Having a clear sense of the word “need” makes doing one of these super easy for me. About the only one I would have trouble with is grocery shopping, but that’s because I have kids and really love fresh produce. 75% of my shopping is “walking the perimeter” as my husband calls it. Produce, check for deals on meat, grab milk, go home.

45. Rebecca Reinwalt says:

I can and have done all but 2 of these challenges. I have to go to the store at least 2 times a week to buy extra milk as my fiance’ drinks between 2-5 gallons of milk per week and he won’t let me stock up on it. Has to be fresh with an expiration date of at least 10 days away when I bring it home. The other one is the no cable challenge. It’s on in our bedroom every hour of the day that my fiance’ is home. I generally don’t have the tv on when he isn’t here, unless I am sick or laid up from pain. But he has certain programs on every night that he has to watch and then uses it as a night light.

46. Judith R. says:

I have no financial problems but, still, a no spend challenge is good for me because it means I save time that would otherwise have been spent shopping.

47. Sarah L says:

I know friends who could use many of these challenges. I’m retired, have no TV, always have a list before I go shopping (for anything) and I treat myself to fast food about once a month.
    Thanks for the contest.

48. Emma says:

Ah, I could really do with a “No spending money on food” challenge!

49. Deanna G. says:

I have tried it. I learned I don’t need everything I think I do & it gave me a chance to really think about how I want to spend my money.

50. Alexandra Roach says:

I am in a spend challenge because I am in grad school.