I Have A Date: Day 16

coffee date

Apparently I have a lot of friends and acquaintances who believe that, much like my sister, I should be dating someone. I’m not sure exactly how I feel about this, but after I mentioned that my sister thinks that I should go out on dates as part of the minimum wage challenge, I received far more emails and messages from friends saying that they had the “perfect person” to set me up with. This concerns me a great deal because I tend to be the type of person who doesn’t believe in “perfect” matches, but that relationships, like most things in life, take a lot of hard work and compromise. While I realize that is not something that I need to worry about in th

This entry was posted in Minimum Wage Challenge, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to I Have A Date: Day 16

1. Hmmm tough choice, but I’d go with the coffee shop and the second date (assuming there is one) I’d go on the hike.

2. Alexandria says:

Agreed with DC. The coffee shop is much more safe if you don’t “click.” If you click at all, I think the hike would be a great second date.

3. VickiF says:

I like the hike idea. Personally I would be a bit stressed out having to sit in a coffee shop forced to make conversation. The hike would be “doing something” and conversation would come more natural to me in that setting. That’s just me I guess.

4. Pauline says:

I don’t agree with you guys, I’d rather hike. At least if it gets awkward you can hike a bit faster and stop talking for a while, while still being busy. In a coffee shop you just sit and stare at the person and wonder what to say, the outdoors provide countless opportunities for small talk.

5. secretarysaving says:

Jeffrey – Do you have a hook up at the coffee shop? Could you get a b1g1 free drink or a drink card buy 5 drinks get one free? (that would be beneficial if you have more dates with other people). Take initiative to pay before hand.

Me personally being a girly girl I would not want to go on a hike just yet. Maybe say lets go to the park. Then show up with goodies for a sunset picnic, or a bag of bread to feed ducks at a pond. Then, volunteer at a walk/race together. Don’t let on about the challenge, total killer. Good luck and tell sis GAME ON!

6. Alexandria says:

As a female, I’d be more wary to go off alone with someone I just met. I think there is some of that element too. I just wanted to clarify my thinking a little bit. I actually dislike coffee and drinking, and I would also rather go on a hike, any day. But it is a first date. & it’s hard to call – because sounds like some of the females would prefer the hike – others would not or would be more cautious. Maybe you should just ask her what *she* would prefer. & keep the hike short – yes – for sure.

7. Denise A. says:

For a first date I would go for the coffee shop, it will give you both quick out if there is no chemistry and/or common values. As for other ideas have you ever heard of Letterboxing? You can check it out on Letterbox.org. Another idea is for you to participate in a volunteer activity, I live in Southern California and there is always beach/river clean-ups, not to mention the food bank or organizations that help out military families. Picnics are good, you can even include wine, 2 buck chuck is always available at Trader Joe’s. Honestly I wouldn’t really care about how much a guy spends on a date, it would be a treat to participate in an activity that someone else thought of and executed.

8. Whoever says:

Coffee shop for sure. It isn’t like after getting to know each other you couldn’t head out on a hike half way through your coffee.

9. Amy says:

Definitely a coffee date. A hike is too much of a time investment if you want an “out” if you two just don’t connect. Plus, what girl wants to get all sweaty and icky when trying to make a good first impression? ;)

10. Petunia 100 says:

There is no way I would go on a hike alone with someone I didn’t even know. Definately the coffee shop, a nice, safe, public place.