Two Days of Hell: Day 14 & 15

frustrating day

Life likes to throw curves. Sometimes even knuckle-balls into the dirt. And on a rare occasion, the ball comes directly at you and hits you in the head. That is exactly what the last couple of days have felt like. Although I’m not somebody who usually gets stressed, I can confidently say that my blood pressure was probably a lot higher than it should have been the last 48 hours. No matter how well you plan for things, the unexpected often happens.

While the latest curve didn’t affect the minimum wage challenge directly (in fact, it probably helped it a bit), it’s definitely not something that I would do over again. I’d hoped to get out to see some places in the area

This entry was posted in Minimum Wage Challenge and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Two Days of Hell: Day 14 & 15

1. Mamasita says:

I’m glad the site is back up, I’ve been checking! :)

Enjoy the well-deserved beer!

2. Wendy says:

Although I do know that minimum wage folks don’t usually get sick pay, I think this situation is more akin to having to work overtime due to a computer outage. You should pay yourself overtime, or get time off to compensate you.

3. Liz says:

My husband works in the IT industry and has for over 20 years. There have been times in the past where he has had to go in to work outside his normal hours to fix a situation. He doesn’t get paid extra for it, it’s considered a part of his job (this is considered the norm in the industry). So, in your case, I would neither add any money or subtract it.

4. Pauline says:

If you make minimum wage, you are not the owner of the company so when facing that kind of IT problems you would probably make more for overtime. If it were a pet project on top of your day job would have to take the loss AND profits, which would defeat the purpose of the challenge, so this has to be your day job.

5. Joan.of.the.Arch says:

A minimum wager tethered to the job reminds me of the stories we were hearing a few years ago of certain big box retail employees being locked in the store after hours to complete stocking. cleanup and so on. Couldn’t leave could you?

In the opposite direction, here’s a nuance for your sister to torture you with. Occasionally min wagers arrive at work, perhaps put in a couple of hours (perhaps not) and then are told to “Go home: there’s not enough work today.” They will have spent transportation money, yet earned little to no money to compensate.

6. We are crazy busy at my work because of the flu epidemic but all overtime has been banned by the big wigs.

The computer crashing would probably be a financialy neutral issue for a minimum wage person. Others would have to scramble to complete your regular tasks while you scrambled to fix the problems. Other tasks would just pile up for you to deal with when you have the urgent situation fixed. That is how it goes at my work.

People will have to wait longer for service, paperwork and other tasks will pile up and all staff will feel the stress but there will be no overtime or extra staff called in to help and there will be no extra money in anyones pay.

7. nore says:

minimum wage positions at my job are hourly and would get paid over time – only persons on salary are exempt from being paid OT.
    Not sure how you and your sister worked out the possibility of OT, I think she nixed it but I do not think you have to subtract any money.

8. colleen says:

I enjoy your post with the exceptions of your sister. The mentions of the way she treats you is enough to make me not want to read. I do not like when people are mean to each other even if it is for so called fun or sibling rivalry I have a brother (3 yrs younger) and we never pick at each other this way. The world is hard enough with out your own family constantly picking at you.

9. jeffrey says:

It’s her job and it actually serves a positive purpose — it keeps me honest when doing them. While I ultimately disagree with most of her “new rules” it forces me to think and make sure I’m holding up my end of the challenge bargain.

10. Minny says:

I think I see where you are coming from on this Colleen, but It seems to me that both brother and sister have a good friendly relationship. The challenges his sister sets Jeffrey are right up his street and give him new insights into different areas of saving money.

11. Bobbi says:

I think you should deduct something, a quarter or dollar perhaps? for every cuss word spoken during the last 48 hours. That ought to take care of the challenge. ;) have fun.

12. mimipaula1 says:

Please, please, PLEASE! Let me send my just-younger sister to you for two weeks….she has a great sense of humor, is a hard worker, but, most of all, is the person I would call if I suddenly had to go to WAR! She would never ask a question or make a demand; I know she “has my back” in every situation. She wants me to succeed, ’cause she finds success in my success! One of my greatest blessings is this sister!

Then….send your sister to me! I think I can “help” her understand how the “family thing” works–yeah, it’s “One for All, All for One” in my mind!