Am I A Sucker? Day 9

dog gone sucker

I don’t usually give money to people. I’m far too familiar with the many scams that are out there, and I know that my money will go a lot further and help a lot more people by purchasing food for the food bank rather than give it to individuals begging on the street (I have had a habit of putting $5 toward the food bank fund every time I was asked for money in the past — I would like to continue that, but may have to reduce it to $1 with the current minimum wage challenge restrictions). So I wasn’t really expecting to hand $10 to a total stranger today, but that’s exactly what I did.

Since this is my last day visiting my mom before heading off to my second hous

This entry was posted in Minimum Wage Challenge, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Am I A Sucker? Day 9

1. Alexandria says:

My general rule of thumb is to never give money to strangers, BUT the exception is I do rely on my gut. I have been moved to give money to people before, and a random act of kindness really has little to do with “true need” at times (I am sure I have given far more in a situation like this, whereas maybe *never* if someone asked me). That said, not sure I would do the same if living on minimum wage, but you aren’t really in that head space. I’d do the same – with my current income I would not blink at doing the same, and it would hard for me not to just because I was “pretending” to live on minimum wage. If you were really and truly living on minimum wage, I think you would just feel and think a little different about it – I know I would.

2. mjrube94 says:

I agree with what you did. I did something similar with a guy while waiting for the train to work. The train pulled up and he ran to the machine in a panic to buy a ticket but didn’t have time. I offered him one of mine so he could catch the train. He tried to refuse, because he had no cash to reimburse me (he was planning to charge the trip on his credit card). I said the same thing – no problem, just pay it forward. I have to say, the positive feeling I had all day was worth much more than the $8 for the ticket.

3. colleen says:

As a person on a real minimum wage income, I would not do the same for a movie, now if it was for something more important I would help. I try my best to help people, I also do couponing and make boxes of groceries for my neighbors. What I am getting at is for this challenge feel authentic I think you will have to really live like one of us and keep your compassionate side with out giving away your shirt.

4. Wendy says:

There is a movement right now called 26 Acts of Kindness. It encourages people to do 26 good deeds in memory of the victims at Sandy Hook. I’m glad you told her to pay it forward. Statistics that I have seen show that poor people give a larger percentage of their income to charity. I also believe you were investing in Karma. Well done.

5. sara l says:

I always listen to my gut and in this case, I think (and hope) I would have done exactly what you did. As you pointed out, there seemed to be something important about this event for her and you helped her a great deal, I’m sure.

The author and teacher Jack Kornfield says something like: If you have the impulse to give something (money, time, goods), do it. Don’t talk yourself out of it or second guess yourself.

I don’t always do that I’m afraid, but I’m trying.

6. Fe2o3ez says:

You did well. There are some that will say that maybe you shouldnt have helped her because she was going to see a movie, which is a luxury item. However, I wager to say that those people have never looked into the eyes of a child and had to tell them that “No, we cant make the movie today because Daddy/Mommy doesnt have the monet right now.” Children dont know the difference. To them it is the same as saying there will be no bread for dinner. If they have been promised something that they look forward to, they will be disappointed, and no parent enjoys the disappointed look of their child. Congrats on your selfless act!

7. CB in the City says:

You are doing so well financially on your challenge, I think you had the means to give away $10, which is something you clearly felt compelled to do.

I give to strangers, too. I like to think that if I were in a pinch, someone would help me, too.

8. Debbie M says:

Right move. What if you lose the bet by $10 or less? I’m pretty sure this would not be the thing you would regret.

9. mimipaula1 says:

Jeffrey, I appreciate your willingness to share what you had with the young mother and her child.

10. JD says:

I don’t as a habit give money to people but I do and probably more often than my husband would like. It never is a lot but if I can spare it then I do.

11. Amish Author Sicily Yoder says:

I would have given her the money if my gut feeling was to do so. I paid for a lady and her daughter’s food at Chik-Fil-A one time; they were traveling, as it was along the interstate. She insisted on giving me a check back for the food.
    Once, when I was a traveling merchandiser, I handed a man on the roadside my whole packed lunch- cooler and all. Again, I went with my gut instinct.
    Jeff, you are doing an awesome job with the challenge.

12. Gailete says:

You may have blessed this woman far more than you know especially since you don’t really know her circumstances. I bet she will treasure the memory of a stranger helping her out.