I Don’t Buy Gifts for Special Occasions: Day 6

happy birthday card

My sister messaged me asking what I was going to get my niece for her birthday. She graciously included a list of really expensive gifts that my niece wanted and told me how I would be a terrible uncle if I didn’t get her one.

Sister: You don’t want to be a terrible uncle, do you?

Me: You know I don’t buy presents.

Sister: Well, you should. You will break her little heart if you don’t get here something.

Me: Then I must have broken it all the previous years I didn’t buy her presents.

Sister: Yes, you did. You need to make up for it now with an extra big gift. Don’t be an awful uncle!

Me: heh, nice try sis…

Sister: It’s not fair. You aren̵

This entry was posted in Minimum Wage Challenge, Travel and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to I Don’t Buy Gifts for Special Occasions: Day 6

1. Alexandria says:

Awesome!

We don’t buy a lot of gifts. These are all very normal things that people do on a budget. & I am not sure if my parents have ever particularly bought my kids gifts – they don’t notice. (This decision made because my in-laws go totally insane with the gifts – we call them gift hogs. The point seems so futile to everyone else. Though again, my parents have gotten them very special things when the opportunity has arose). Meh. I doubt your nieces notice or care. We also don’t buy gifts for any of our nieces or nephews. Up to age 10, it has never been an issue in the least. Heck, we really don’t buy presents for our own kids. They’ve never asked us why we get them a couple of small things, no one else gives them anything, and why Grandma gives them 100 gifts every Christmas. To them, it is just the way it is.

2. Marie at FamilyMoneyValues says:

We enjoy giving our nieces and nephews and our grand-nieces and nephews gifts – when they are kids, but we stop at a certain age.

3. Melanie Pierce says:

I hardly EVER buy my kids birthday gifts and have NEVER given them a Christmas present. I am a firm believer in gifting something when it is needed/wanted/discovered through-out the year, as opposed to saving it for some “magical” date. My kids are so used to this that they virtually never ask for something “for their birthday”. Good call, Jeffrey!

4. Denise Arneson says:

I promise to pay it forward even if I don’t get a gift. Remember used and cheap is good. It really is the thought that counts.

5. Fe2o3ez says:

Two things:

1. I dont blame you. I have 22 nieces and nephews, and a few grand-niece/nephews (whatever they are called – boy that makes me feel old) so I would go broke gifting them.

2. What did you set for a weekly budget? How much do you feel you “banked” this week?

6. Wendy says:

Apparently your sister doesn’t see all the news stories at the holidays about the Christmas charities to get gifts for those kids whose parents are too poor. As a child, I had 2 aunts that gave me gifts on my birthdays. The other 3 aunts/uncles had their own kids. I loved them all, but I remember the ones who spent time with me. Your time is the most important gift. You are giving them memories.

7. jeffrey says:

I have banked at least $100+ — I figured housing would be $400+ a month and it was $0. Food I was hoping I could keep to $5 a day, so there is another $25+ Probably a bit more since I really had no other expenses and I knew I would be traveling and have car/gas expenses as well. Of course, I’m sure that there will be weeks when I go above those amounts as well, but it’s nice to have that banked when those times come.

8. Ellen says:

Hello.. Read your blog and was glad to hear you had a great trip to Red Rock State Park. I suggest you consider a State Park pass for a family which is only $75 for the year and allows the entire family to go to the State Parks for 364 days a year. Gifts are important if they are those that create “memories” with them…. Or get the pass for yourself and take all your nieces and nephews and friends different days….that’s what I do for my grandchildren and they remember everything they learn at the park.
    ellen

9. Debra says:

I love reading your series. The wonderful pictures of places you are seeing is a great added bonus!

10. Rita says:

There’s nothing wrong with gift giving, Wanting to express your love and thoughtfulness is a wonderful thing..if thats what you truely feel, No MATTER WHAT AGE!!!!!