Well Stocked Fridge: Day 1

stocked fridge

I would be lying if I said I didn’t wake up with a bit of a hangover (I figured I should let 2012 go out big even if I was celebrating alone while house sitting). I have been pleasantly surprised at the way that things have developed for the first day of this minimum wage challenge which should help me a bit more in saving the first week.

One of the extra benefits of house sitting is that the people often (but not always) say that I’m welcome to eat anything I want while there. That was the case this time, and even better, the fridge is full of perishables and leftovers (see photo above). The owners made a specific request that I eat as many of them as possible. This is a fantas

This entry was posted in Minimum Wage Challenge, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Well Stocked Fridge: Day 1

1. Mary Ann says:

You are off to a great start!!

2. Big Joe says:

It didn’t cost you “nothing,” unless the family you’re house-sitting for is also covering the cost of the gas you’re using in the car for the week.

We often take gas into account when we do “staycations” because we’re usually using more gas than during a normal week. So if we take a daytrip that’s 60 miles away (120 miles roundtrip), we have to think about the extra 3 or 4 gallons of gas that we’re using (and at $3 to $4 a gallon, that adds up quickly).

3. creditcardfree says:

Seems like a great day and a great start to the new year! Do you refill gas for those you house sit for, or is that considered part of the payment for the job as well?

4. Sounds like you are rocking it so far Jeffrey! Keep up the good work and enjoy those leftovers.

5. Gailete says:

While your challenge results are great, I’m even more impressed with the castle up in the air. To think these guys did this with no electric tools, no trucks or cranes, etc. is simply amazing! They didn’t have any fast food places to go for lunch or a cool drink in the middle of their working day. They didn’t go home in the evening and plop down in front of cable TV to relax after a hard day. They lived such a different life than we do and we could learn much from the people that did these things.

6. Marie at FamilyMoneyValues says:

Good for you for getting out – there is a lot to see in that area! Do it.

7. jeffrey says:

Good point…I will be addressing this in a post this week

8. jeffrey says:

Good question. I feel that with the generosity of letting me use the car, the proper thing is to always leave the tank full.

9. jeffrey says:

Yes, very true. Definitely quite an accomplishment that was well worth taking the time to see.

10. I wonder if those people read this blog and realize their fridge is on the internet, LoL! Sounds like week one is a breeze financially. Any plans for week 2 yet?

11. Wow, could you ask for a better start to your 2013 challenge??

12. I am attempting a No Spend month during January that I actually started just after Christmas because the fridge was full of leftovers and I was avoiding the Boxing Day sales (Boxing Day is what we call December 26th in Canada).

I thought that my no spend month was going to be all about not shopping and, my big vice, fast food takeout. I can see in your blog that I have not planned any fun in my month and I will be missing a lot if I am at home, with the lights turned low and wearing a toque so I can keep the furnace turned down.

13. JD says:

You were very close to the city where we live. Glad you had a chance to visit the “castle” and enjoyed it.

14. JMK says:

Canuck here too!
    I personally hate cold weather and winter in general. Not ideal when living in this part of the world. My son is giddy with all the snowboarding he’s doing during the school bread, I’m decidedly less thrilled. We gave him a ski pass for Christmas, and he bought his own gear last year during end of season sales. We live close to the hill and if he won’t make it home for a meal he packs one. Other than the gas to drive there, his entire winter of boarding is free from this point onward.

Every year I tell myself to get out and enjoy winter somehow, and not just hide indoors and pray for spring. I should go for a walk in the snow at the very least. Tourists pay to come here just to see what I’m so happy avoiding. The winter is still young and I may actually go for a walk in the snowy woods near our home at some point, but for now I’m jamming logs on the fire and curling up with the pile of books I’ve been meaning to read. Maybe if I tell myself I’m not avoiding winter, but doing a severe spending reduction I’ll feel less guilty?