Housesitting In Arizona: Minimum Wage Challenge

house sitting

It appears that the first week of the minimum wage challenge will begin on the right foot. I just got word from the parents of a friend that they would like me to house sit for them for a week beginning on December 30th. This isn’t a house sitting / pet sitting gig I would normally take (it’s a little short as I usually like to have a minimum of 10 days, and a plane flight away which would eat up most of the money I would make in normal circumstances), but it made sense to take it with the challenge beginning.

This will be an ideal situation to begin the challenge because it’s a win-win for everyone involved. In exchange for me house sitting for them, they’ll buy me

This entry was posted in Housing, Making Money, Minimum Wage Challenge, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Travel and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Housesitting In Arizona: Minimum Wage Challenge

1. Alexandria says:

Last I lived on an income below minimum wage, house sitting and pet sitting was a key source of income for me. Makes sense to me! 1 – Free Lodging 2 – extra/easy income

2. Trish says:

I’m not sure that I understand how this works. Do you currently rent your home? How is this extra income going to reduce your lodging expenses? You still pay the same rent whether you house sit or not, right? Or do you have some other type of living situation? I have read all of your posts about this, but it has been awhile, so forgive me if you have already explained.

3. Trish says:

After a bit of reading, I understand now.

4. Fe2o3ez says:

I understand why they flew you in. We used to do the same with my mother-in-law. We have 2 cats and 2 dogs, and given the expense of boarding, plus someone feed/watching the cats, plus the health impact it can have on the dogs, it is an easy win for us. We would stock on food for her, and she would be good to go. Before we moved, we even flew her up there to housesit and watch our son, so we could travel here to search for a new house. The numbers work out for the homeowner, especially when multiple pets are involved.

5. jeffrey says:

I have decided to be purposely homeless. at least for the first few months, and see how it goes.

6. creditcardfree says:

Sounds like a great idea and I like the idea of it being a side gig for just about anyone!

7. kathryn says:

My husband and housesit a lot while we travel around Australia.
    We don’t charge them anything, and don’t expect anything in return except housing. Before we bought our own campervan to travel around in, while in Australia, homeowners provided us with their car. Our shortest stay was 9 days and the longest 5 months.
    BTW we retired at 46 & 50, and live summers in Canada and Australia. We average about $1000 in expenses, for the 2 of us.

8. Jason says:

I find it hard to get new clients. I have been housesitting/petsitting for a handful of people for the last two years, but I can’t seem to grow my clientele. I even recently purchased insurance and bonding to make myself more attractive to potential clients, but no new business yet. Also, I seem to only attract “low-ballers” who expect a lot of work for little pay. I also do dog walking on the side, and that’s been marginally successful. I deal with a chronic pain problem (at age 39), so working a standard job with standard hours is tough, which is why I have been trying to build my housesitting/petsitting business.

I’d love to hear feedback from anyone?