Save Time and Money Next Christmas

Christmas ornaments storage

So we’re in the thick of the holiday season right now. You’re busy and harried, so it’s too early to think about next Christmas, right? Wrong. Some common advice to prepare for next year is to hit the after-Christmas sales to get gifts for next year, to buy craft kits for next Christmas, or to stock up on decorations and other supplies for future holidays. That’s all helpful stuff and is great if you can do it, but it requires you to spend money. Problem is, you might not have any money left over after you buy gifts and food for this Christmas.

However, you can get a jump on next Christmas without spending any money. One surefire way to save time and money next Chris

This entry was posted in Frugal, Holidays, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Save Time and Money Next Christmas

1. jay says:

Totally agree; excellent advice!
    Photographs help, too. If you like how you did the decorations this year, why not memorialize for future reference.
    I am also a big believer in paring down, so that you have less to store, less to forget, less to break and have to replace: Holiday music on a memory card; use Furoshiki instead of paper for wrapping (clean before putting away), cloth ribbons can be kept on cardboard tubes; use natural, easily available products for decorating (pines/firs/seasonal flowers). Make a note of what works, when and where you got them, etc., as well as WHERE you stored things! Set a calendar reminder to pull out your notes, photos, so you get an early [enough] start. We’ve gone as far as to label boxes by number, with #1 being the first to pull out and use. I’ve also organized recipes, and menus. Holidays tend to be about traditions, so doing the same year after year works.

Contrary to many, I also DON’T believe in purchasing gifts “early”. People’s tastes change, especially kids, and what was a great idea in February -not so great by December.

2. Nice tips. “Toss stuff” can be hard for the bf. I’m fine with getting rid of things we don’t need/use. The bf is much more sentimental about “things”.

3. Jo says:

Great points all around. I am terrible with where I packed Christmas things. I know they’re in storage tubs and stack rather haphazardly in the garage. No labeling on the outside of the tubs to tell me what is in which….*sigh*

I AM, however, good about tossing out useless stuff. My goal will be to go through storage tubs, toss and/or keep the items, label all tubs accordingly and then make a list of what I will need. This will insure no duplicating items or leaving out important ones for next season.

Per Jay’s comment above, I am mixed on buying through the year. I agree that people’s desire for certain gift ideas change, and with how quickly technology changes, it’s better to wait for certain things. I prefer to wait on newly released tech things so the “kinks” are worked out first.

Anyhoo…..a good lesson here. Thanks! :-)

4. Marie at FamilyMoneyValues says:

Lots of work when you are in a hurry to start making those New Year resolutions come true – but well worth it. I’ve been doing most of the stuff (I never wash ornaments as we don’t use a live tree).

5. Diane says:

Photographs are a good idea! I take photos of the inside & outside decorations, so I can remember where things fit! Saves time trying to figure it out each year…

6. Diane says:

Great advice! It’s definitely helpful to get rid of things that are broken or lights that don’t work when you’re packing – saves space & time next year.

I use plastic bins and pack things together by room as much as possible, then label the outside of the bins. I also try to label the light strings as to where they go as I take them down. For some reason I failed to do that last year, thinking I’d remember?? and had to do more sorting this year. Bad move!

I also take photos inside & out to remember the placement of things.

I confess to keeping a couple of boxes of things I no longer use (don’t have room in this house) but still want to keep. Some I may use again, or give to my sons when they move out. I just keep them in separate boxes labeled “Christmas Save” and don’t go through them each year.

7. Marcia says:

I agree that buying specific gifts early isn’t a good idea. BUT consider buying fancy glass ornaments or easily generic gifts for either sex at after Christmas sales and storing them away for the gift swaps, last minute office gifts and things of that nature that always seem to crop up at Christmas. It can really help your budget and your nerves to know you have something to fall back on if things come up at the last minute…and we all know they will!

8. Pingback: Plan Now For Next Year’s Decorations | Lifehacker Australia

9. Kathy says:

Another idea I’ll add to these fantastic suggestions is to print a second set of holiday card address labels and pack them away with your leftover stationary from this year (I finally gave up trying to hand address mine a couple of years ago). A few people’s addresses may change, but not many. That way, you don’t have to fool around with printing them next year. You’ll be ready to go as soon as your cards are ready!

10. Gloria Katona says:

Another idea for those ornaments you no longer need/use/like. I wrap ribbon around my wrapped gift boxes and tie an ornament on the top — it makes for a pretty presentation and if the recipient likes it, it will be reused….if not, well, you were going to toss it anyway!