Replacement Society: Save Money By Keeping Things Longer

appliances

The sounds coming from our eighteen year old refrigerator have recently changed. There’s more moaning and banging now instead of the smooth hum that has always been there. I’ve taken this as the cue to begin the search for a replacement, after attempting to solve the problem myself. The search has been depressing in more ways than one. I’ve had trouble finding anything that I like and, even worse, anything that seems remotely reliable. My search took me to the local appliance place. I was hoping for more advice and knowledge than I’d gotten at the big box stores.

Anyway, when we got there we got a very friendly salesman who, for once, wasn’t super pushy. In mak

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Replacement Society: Save Money By Keeping Things Longer

1. jay says:

Fighting the good fight against planned obsolescence!

Saving for those big ticket items is getting more and more difficult, though: how long do you have, how much will “it” cost, etc.

2. Diane says:

I agree! I keep most things until they break & need repairs that are not worth making, within reason. It is true that appliances do not last as long as they used to! Computers we’ve installed new hard drives, but eventually they need replacement.

I do upgrade my cell phone every 2 years, which is not that much with a contract, depending on the phone of course. If you run into problems & need a phone replaced under contract, it gets difficult as they get older, because they give you refurbished phones in your model that don’t really work. I’m having that problem now with my phone. When the contract renews in January I’ll get a new model.

It is easier to keep an older car if you don’t have to use it every day & there’s another car in the household. When I was a single parent driving an older car many miles a week to work & kids’ schools/activities that was tough, as it was the only car we had. My 2006 van was in the shop this week for repairs & I was able to use by boyfriend’s car when needed, as we both work from home~ makes life much easier. I’ll keep this car until the repairs start costing too much.

3. Karen says:

There are some benefits though of upgrading. When my 10 year old fridge crapped out and we got a new one, our electricity bill went down $20 a month. That’s $240 a year so it will pay itself back in ten years, if it lasts that long.

Karen

4. clayton says:

I have had my truck for ten years. At 400 a month car payment, that’s 48,000 dollars saved. It really does add up.

another trick to upgrading. When I bought my house we asked to have the fridge, washer, and dryer included instead of asking for money to cover needed repairs, which were easy for a DIY project. We got really nice appliances and it was much cheaper than than buying new ones.

5. Kevin Mzansi says:

Must say I prefer to stay in the dark ages if it saves me a bunch of money!

6. Richard says:

We had a car lease (Ill never lease again) that expired and returned the vehicle. Bought a 2001 Honda which came with a new set of snow tires for really cheap. Ive saved the old lease payment amounts in the bank sinced and have saved over $5000.00 in what would have been car payments…..and the bonus, other than two oil changes and gas, we have spent nothing extra on the honda….