Some People Aren’t Cut Out For DIY

duct tape car repair

One of the best ways to save money is to Do It Yourself. Whether it’s home or car maintenance, repairs, cleaning, or crafting usable items out of trash, the more you can do yourself, the more money you can save. It is almost always cheaper to buy materials and do the labor yourself than to pay for specialized labor or to buy a commercial product. Sometimes you have no choice, such as when the task outstrips your ability, but generally the more you can do on your own the better off you are.

The good news is that DIY is much more accessible than it used to be. With all the online resources, books, and classes available these days, most people can learn to do just about anything. Note t

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Some People Aren’t Cut Out For DIY

1. Alexandria says:

Eh, I think it kind of evens out in the end, at times.

I personally come from a family of meager means and so my dad just did everything himself out of necessity. I did not inherent this DIY attitude. I watched my family do home renovations that were not done right and were costly to fix. My dad tried to talk me into doing my own oil changes, but it seemed to me cheaper in the end just to go to jiffy lube. (Paying for filters, oil, and disposal, and ruining clothes in the process – for what? I wasn’t even saving anything doing it myself!). Obviously if I were low income I may be making some of these same choices (when it comes to that or do without), but at higher income levels I think it makes more sense just to get it done right. There is an element where it makes just more sense to focus on making more money, and then hiring out your needs (higher quality work – might not need to spend so much time fixing things if you get a professional in the first place).

As far as cars and handyman type stuff we have always had awesome people who could reasonably help us.

On the home improvement front we shopped carefully to avoid having to do a lot of work on our house. We bought new construction, and we will likely sell it before it needs any significant work. We look forward to owning a condo again in the future – no exterior maintenance or yard to worry about. For that, our non-DIY tendencies could save us money in the long run. A condo is extraordinarily less expensive than a house.

I don’t personally feel we have expended a lot of money over the years though we tend to hire stuff out. But, admittedly we are very frugal and I am sure there are many other areas where we are more DIY. My spouse is very tech savvy – I am fincially savvy – so we don’t hire computer help, financial help, tax help, and on and on. I think everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I have a complete willingness to do the DIY route if it makes any financial sense, and if it does not compact quality too much. There are certainly types who don’t think about any of this and just hire anything and everything out – and that is definitely tough to keep up financially.

2. Wowitsawonderfullife says:

If you think that the car mirror in the picture summarizes the situation you need to look at the web site called “there I fixed it”. Google it

3. jay says:

I think you can parse DIY projects: there’s the oil change, then there’s the roof repair. Both potentially DIY, but big difference in complexity and impact.

4. Gail says:

I personally feel that just about any one is capable of doing things for themselves yet they mentally choose not to. Those episodes of being clumsy, rushing, etc. are all cries of ‘I don’t want to do this and if I do a bad job maybe they will stop asking me to do it’. Really, I mean, some personal hygiene tasks use the same fine motor skills as the DIY project they just messed up. A woman who has all her clothes perfectly coordinated by color that can’t get the concept of coordinating fabric for a quilt, is just showing in a passive way that she really doesn’t want to quilt even those all the rest of her friends are currently into quilting. This is just my opinion of course, but in all the years I have lived I’ve seen a lot of people bungle their whole life, not because they truly are bunglers, but fouling up a project is easier than telling a spouse or friend that ‘I know we can’t afford it, but I really don’t want to bother doing this myself.’ Otherwise how could these same people get and keep jobs that require many skills?

5. Marcia says:

We all have different talents and abilities. My hubby isn’t really a handyman and after 35 years of marriage I’ve quit insisting that he be one. But we have two plumbing heating guys in our church who have saved our bacon with our pellet stove and furnace more than once and yeah we have to pay them but at least we can usually work something out with them. We have DIY guys in our church who usually are willing to give us advice or even help out. And I have discovered to my amazement that some people think I’m incredibly talented because I have taught myself to do home canning and make jam and jelly and I also do my own baking. Don’t think I’ll be on Food Network any time soon but I can follow a recipe. You may not be able to do it yourself every time but you may be able to do more than you think and the more independent you can be the better off you are.

6. Roberto says:

Several years ago I started doing my own repairs. The problem was that I did not know what I was doing. But thank goodness for the internet. Through YouTube I started learning to do my own. A bit frustrated at first but I was persistent and stubborn to the point that it became much easier for me and was actually getting good at it. Eventually I opened my own car repair shop in Boca Raton.