12 Ways To Save Money Getting A Haircut

I think that most people have either a love-hate or hate-hate relationship with their hair. It’s certainly one of personal hygiene habit that most people take extremely seriously (and there are a lot of hair myths that cost us all a fortune and hair can teach us a lot about personal finance). A hairstyle is one of those things that we can control that gives a first impression about ourselves. The problem, of course, is getting that perfect cut (or even one that is acceptable) is expensive and can be downright wallet emptying to keep it that way on a regular basis. That being said, there are a number of ways to save money when getting a haircut. Here are some options:

Cut Your Own Hair

The best way to save money on the cost of haircuts is to not pay for them at all. If you are willing to have a simple hairstyle, don’t have hair that is difficult to cut and are willing to put scissors and sheers into your own hands, you can save a small fortune cutting your own hair. The tools that you need can be purchased at most drug stores and will be paid for after a few self cuts. While this option isn’t for everyone, it should be the first choice for anyone that really wants to save money in this area.

Trim In Between Cuts

If you’re trying to save money on trips to the barber or salon, think about cutting your hair in between visits. A good haircut needs to be maintained every three months, but if you’re paying $50 per cut, that’s $200 a year. Trimming your own hair – or having a friend do it for you – during those off months will help you push out a cut for another month or so, saving you some money in the long run. After all, most people go to the hairdresser every few months for a trim to cut off the dead ends. So why not do that yourself?

Air Dry Your Hair

Blow drying your hair is incredibly convenient if you need dry, styled hair quickly. However, blow drying your hair is also really bad. The heat damages your hair and causes split ends, which means that you’ll need to visit the hairdresser more often, especially if you want to keep your hair healthy. In order to save some money on frequent trips to the hairdresser, air dry your hair to keep it nice and healthy.

Grow Out Your Hair

If you have a short or medium length haircut, consider growing your hair out for a little bit. Shorter hair needs to be trimmed more frequently than longer hair. Hairdressers suggest that short hair needs to be trimmed every 3 to 5 weeks while longer hair can be trimmed every 6 to 12 weeks. Plus, with longer hair, it’s easier to throw it up in a bun or ponytail – or to trim it yourself!

Shave It Off

If men are looking to save money on haircuts, one of the easiest options is to shave their hair off. This is usually an easy haircut to do at the barbershop or at home. Of course, this type of haircut won’t look good on everyone, so you’ll have to decide if it’s really for you. If it is, consider buying a pair of clippers and doing your own haircuts. You’ll be saving a lot of money shaving your own head or doing your own buzzcuts!

Ask for New Stylists

If your normal salon or barbershop has a new stylist or hairdresser, consider asking for them to cut your hair. New stylists are usually cheaper than professional stylists since they’re just starting out in the field. Sometimes – and of course, this all depends on where you get your hair cut – they can be up to 50% cheaper! You might not have your hair cut exactly the way your normal hairdresser might cut it, but you’ll be saving some money.

Grand Openings

When you’re driving around town, keep your eyes open for hair salons that are just opening. Grand openings are a great way to get a haircut at a large discount. The new salon is often looking to find new customers. To attract new clients, they will often offer deep discounts over their regular prices to get people in the door.

Use Coupons

You might not think that there are coupons out there for salons or hairdressers, but there definitely are. Many new salons will hand out coupons or discounts in order to attract new customers. Local barbershops or salons will also give coupons or discounts to returning customers. Businesses love enticing new customers and in this day and age, coupons and discounts are their best bet of attracting your business.

Donate Hair

If your hair is long enough, why not donate it? There are plenty of charities out there, such as Locks of Love, that take donated hair and offer it to people who have lost their hair due to illness. By donating your hair, not only will you be supporting a good cause, but you’ll be getting a free haircut. A lot of salons or charities support these types of events, so it’s worth considering donating your hair to charity.

Become a Hair Model

Whether you have long or short hair, becoming a hair model is a great way to save some money on your haircuts. Salons or beauty schools love hair models because they can practice new styles. It should be noted that you might have to deal with some really crazy styles, but you’ll be getting some good discounts on all your haircuts!

Visit Beauty Schools

Most beauty schools often send out advertisements for people looking for cheap haircuts. Cuts at beauty schools are similar to becoming a hair model. Beauty schools are full of hairdressers learning how to cut and style hair, so they always need someone to practice on. Most of the cuts you receive there are around 75% cheaper than normal hairdressers or salons. It’s definitely worth checking out.

Alternate Salons

If you get your hair colored and cut, consider going to one salon for one treatment and another for a different. Sometimes, a higher end salon might do a wonderful color job, but their cuts leave something to be desired. If you have a fairly simple cut, there’s no need for you to pay $50 when you could be paying $20. This also gives you the excuse to shop around and see which hairdressers or barbershops you like the best.

(Photo courtesy of Rochelle, just rochelle)

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to 12 Ways To Save Money Getting A Haircut

1. wodejia says:

This is a great blog. I actually cut my son’t hair myself. He hated to go to barber since he was a little boy, he could not stay too long in the chair to have his hair cut. So I had to cut his hair initially. Now I am interested in designing his hair sometime, but not always up to his taste.

2. Gail says:

There are some things I’ve learned not to be too frugal about. Haircuts are one of them! That being said my lady only charges me $20 for wash, cut and blow dry. I think my hubby would give up eating for a few days just to allow me to get my hair done every 6 weeks but that is another story. I lived through the years of cutting it myself or having my mom cut it for me. I’ve gone to the cheap cutters and when I came home, I combed it and asked hubby how I looked and his thought was I needed a haircut she had done such a bad job. The savings is; you get what you pay for.

I live in chronic pain, but my haircut gives me a little while of feeling good and feeling like I give the outward appearance of looking good as well. The hardest part for me is winters can get rough here and at times I can’t get out for weeks on end so haircuts go by the wayside. After several months it is so good to go and feel like I look good again.

Hubby chops his own hair and I give it a decent cut about once a year, so we save that way. I buy cheap shampoo and was given two expensive bottles to review, so that is a savings as well.

3. Pam says:

I think these are some great ideas. I have been cutting my own hair for a few years now. The savings makes me feel good. There are lots of how to videos on learning how to cut your hair. I watched and learned, and now I save.

4. Jonathan says:

I’ve been cutting my own hair since junior high! I can’t believe some of my friends pay $30-$40 for a hair cut.

I’m not so sure I’d be able to cut my own hair if I was a lady though.

5. Pingback: Weekly Frugal Living News: Cut costs on haircuts and give kids gifts of financial wisdom

6. Chris says:

Under shave it off…
    “Of course, this type of haircut won’t look good on anyone, so you’ll have to decide if it’s really for you. ”

I think you might want to change “anyone” to “everyone” or “just anyone” to make your point clear. Unless of course you mean it never looks good, which is a distinct possibility. Thanks for the article though!

7. Cheryl says:

I need to try this. Earlier in the week I took my two boys to get haircuts at their usual barber. Cost me $40 for both including tip. They had their hair spiked with gel so I did not see the final results until they had gotten their showers. There were steps cut into their hair, it was not even on both sides and I received comments from my family that their haircuts were horrible. My sister told me not to practice on them, don’t be cheap, take them to the barber and let them have a decent haircut. When I told her that their hair was cut by a barber, she said well, it was no big deal, hair grows back. So how I am checking YouTube videos and looking to buy a haircutting kit at Sally’s. I have been considering it, but after seeing what I paid for, I can save hundreds each year, and certainly not do any worse than the pros.

8. cheryl says:

Well I did it! This last weekend I gave both of my boys a haircut. Last time I took them to the barber I was not happy with the results. See post above. So earlier this week I looked at the boys and said, “This week you are getting haircuts”. I wanted to wait until they were out of school before I tried doing it myself with the clipper set I bought at Sally’s, and they were due for one. My youngest went first. I was a little nervous as I put the 1/2″ attachment on the clippers and turned them on. My boyfriend (who cuts my hair) coached me on technique and supervised, giving me tips along the way. Well it was not hard. I wanted the younger one to have it shorter for the summer, so it was pretty much same length all over. Afterwards I took the attachment off and trimmed the sideburns and neckline. Scissors around the ears. It looked great. Then the older one, he wanted to keep it longer on top, so I clippered the sides, and then did scissor over comb cutting on top. My boyfriend did most of that. I did the sideburns and the neckline like my younger. OK, both were done. Brushed each off and then into the showers to rinse off the loose hair. After their hair dried I followed up to inspect my work. A few stray hairs needed attention, but I was extremely pleased with the result. My older son’s hair looked great, better than what he got at the barber shop. My younger one looked in the mirror and smiled big when I told him he looked handsome :) I did it, no mess ups and I saved $40 for the two haircuts, plus time and travel. This paid for the clipper set, first time out. The results were great and I figure at roughly 10 haircuts each a year, I will save $400 a year plus time and fuel costs. Afterwards my mother saw the boys and complimented how nice their haircuts looked. This is after the last time she and my sister told me the boys haircuts looked terrible and thought I had hacked it. She was surprised when I told her I (with a little help) did them, she said I should continue to cut their hair myself, she went on about how much I can save. Needless to say I will not be taking them back to the barber anytime soon when I can get better results at home receiving compliements on my work versus being criticized for how bad the barber cut their hair. Funny my mom told my sister I cut the boys hair and when she saw the boys, not a word. Hmmm, wonder why?

9. Buzzcutguy says:

I’ve been cutting my own hair for a while now and let me tell you, I saved a ton of money. The amount you invest up-front for the equipment is covered basically within a few months. But even if you don’t want to cut your own hair all the time and would rather have a professional do it, you can save money by extending a haircut’s life with just a few quick touch-ups.

10. Levit says:

I choose cordless hair clippers to cut my own hair instead of going to a barber. That will save time and money.

11. Steven says:

Before I started a family, I actually worked as a Journeyman hairdresser, so I have always cut my hair! I don’t work as a hairdresser anymore, so I do it in the garage or on the deck, depending on the season!

12. Dave says:

I have been cutting my own hair since around 2001 as my favorite barber moved to california. No one else could cut my hair like he did so thats when I made the decision to buy my own clippers and cut my own hair. After a few mis steps I have gotten pretty good at it and saved a lot of money.

13. smith brander says:

using a hair clippers is the best way for save money. We spend too much money for our hair style. Oster 76 classic is my favourite and it is suitable for all hair types.