12 Ways To Save Money When Going To A Bar

bar drinks

Going out on a regular basis with friends to the local bar can get expensive quite fast (see the beer calculator to just see how much). While there are some expenses that can’t be avoided when hitting the bar, there are quite a few things that you can do which will reduce the overall cost of the night out at a bar. Here are a few ideas that can help keep your bar visit costs to a minimum while still having a great time:

Designated Driver

When people think about ways to save money when going to a bar, they mainly focus on the money that will be spent at the bar. This is a huge mistake. The first thought should be about transportation to and from the bar. If you go with a group of frie

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Food / Groceries, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to 12 Ways To Save Money When Going To A Bar

1. michael says:

I think the first point is very important and one that people often forget. Having a safe way to get home in advance can save you a ton of money. I don’t know how many times I have ended up taking a taxi home because I didn’t think I was going to drink as much as I ended up drinking.

I have never received a DUI, but my friend has and it ended up costing him thousands of dollars. Taking time to get transportation set before you go just makes a lot of sense.

2. ms06880 says:

How about volunteering to be the designated driver? If you’re in it for the socializing aspect rather than getting sloshed, sticking to soda/seltzer/non-alcoholic beer is definitely less expensive.

3. spjlc says:

I’ve never understood the attraction of people wanting to go out to bars. I guess that I tend to be introverted in this way. I would much rather spend an evening with my close friends drinking beer at somebody’s house that I would spending that time in a crowded, loud bar. The whole bar scene just has never made a whole lot of sense to me. I guess the good news is that this saves me a lot of money since I don’t go there to buy overpriced drinks.

4. david says:

This is exactly my way of thinking. When I go out, I usually go out for the company, not to get wasted. I can usually spend the entire evening without spending any money when I volunteer to be a designated driver, because those who I drink with will usually chip in and pay for whatever I do drink and eat as a “thank you.” There’s no reason to let them know that I would have done it anyway.

5. Jonathan says:

That’s funny, you do a lot of the things I do when my friends want to spend a Saturday night at a bar. Drinking beer at home is so much cheaper, I’m into the micro-brewers anyway and most of the bars in my area don’t carry the brands that I like. Why pay $9.00 for a single beer when you can buy a six pack for virtually the same price?

6. leslie says:

I enjoy going out for a drink from time to time as a social event. Sometimes with my friends and sometimes just alone to meet new people. I don’t tend to drink a lot and can make whatever I have in front of me last at least an hour. When you look at it from that perspective, it can be pretty inexpensive entertainment.

7. Pingback: Best Money Tips: How to Get a Good Night’s Sleep | PFS

8. Bob says:

Great column. The last suggestion being the best naturally. How about keeping track of your drinks? A friend always keeps a napkin in front of him and marks every drink. Most bartenders and waiters are honest but I’ve been overcharged now and then.