10 Financial Reasons to Trash Trawl

trash trawling

I should probably point out right away that the subject of this article isn’t for the faint of heart. I’m sure that the idea of sorting through garbage probably conjures up some awfully nasty visions for some readers. Dumpster diving, sometimes referred to as trash trawling, is becoming more commonplace and even something of a movement. I’ve seen the term “fashionable” used occasionally, but I don’t think I’m prepared to make that connection. Nevertheless, we’re here to discuss saving money and that being the case, trash trawling deserves at least a passing glance.

I also want to note that nothing in this article is intended as a statement abo

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Frugal, Making Money, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to 10 Financial Reasons to Trash Trawl

1. Kathie says:

Comprehensive yet concise treatment of the subject. I can confirm that I’ve found everything the writer mentions except the discarded pets (thankfully). After housewares (pots, dishes, kitchen utensils), office and school supplies are the most common items I find. Dumped desks, dressers, knapsacks, and briefcases contain pens, pencils, highlighters, paper clips, binders, batteries (some with power left; the others I recycle), empty CD/DVD jewel cases, and pennies.

2. deana says:

When I was right out of college, I was able to furnish my entire apartment with stuff that I got from people who had left it on the side of the road. It’s amazing what people will throw away, much of it still perfectly good to use.

3. benny says:

I do this in a more subtle way. I gets free stuff off of Craigslist and Freecycle — basically stuff that would go into the trash, but the people put it up on the Internet so it doesn’t have to. This way I get the free stuff, but I don’t have to go into trash bins to get it.

4. jenny says:

That is in dumpster diving. I think most people would be willing to get free stuff off of Craigslist and Freecycle, but most people would not be willing to go into the garbage to get something.

5. Jane says:

I was on my way to the Goodwill one day and saw a pile of perfectly folded blankets sitting next to the trash. I pulled over and loaded them into my car.

Dropped them off before I started shopping.

Nice to know I got there before the garbagemen.

I used to do the same thing when I rented an apt. People would move out and put the nicest things next to the trash. I’d take it to the thrift store.

I just can’t STAND to see perfectly good merchandise get treated this way.

6. timeout says:

What is the difference between trash trawling and dumpster diving?

7. sjlrc says:

I really don’t see the big deal but many people have with reclaiming perfectly usable stuff from the trash. Do they think that it’s beneath them or something along those lines? We waste so much as a nation and throw so much away that is still perfectly usable but I think we should be applauding all those people who are willing to give things that would end up in the landfill new life. Just my two cents…

8. michael says:

I think that trash trawling and dumpster diving are just two different terms for the exact same thing.

9. greenday says:

If you go to visit other countries, you will see that they recycle and use almost everything. Rarely will you see anything that has value not be claimed by somebody that will use it again. I think that we do a poor job of using things that still have life in America. I hope this is something that is changing.