Aging is Expensive Even When You Aren’t Old

aging is expensive

We all know that we’ll likely face increased costs as we age. Most of those will come from healthcare costs as we fight diseases ranging from cancer to arthritis to dementia. While we’re aware of those increasing expenses, we assume that life won’t get more expensive until we’re “much older.” However, I’m finding that life is already starting to get more expensive as I age, and I’m not “old” yet.

It’s the little, subtle things that are starting to weigh down my bank balance. Subtle changes in my body are starting to require that more money be spent to keep me operating effectively and looking halfway decent. No longer can I j

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Health, Personal Finance, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Aging is Expensive Even When You Aren’t Old

1. jay says:

Shoes!

2. So very true. My experience is exactly the same in every area.

3. Jennifer says:

Oh, you are so right. I don’t know how I forgot about the shoes! Nothing fits right anymore. The only running shoes I can tolerate anymore are Brooks and they’re pricey. Gone are my days of just going to Kohls and getting what was on sale!

4. Janbeach says:

Shoes…yep…& various inserts for what is hurting that day. In addition to my “Good Feet” inserts, now I need a cushion pad for the front of my feet.

Great article!!

5. minny says:

I have always had dry skin and evensome expensive stuff won’t cut it. I’ve discovered a product that does. I’ve just ordered six months worth and paid over $100!

I find basic unscented soap is the best for me, but I balance that with a product my doctor prescribes – fortunately being over 60 means the prescription is free so that saves. I cannot use the liquid handwash or shower products because they make my skin very sore.

Shoes, Jennifer you are so right there. And all of those tests, they are worth having. My colonoscopy discovered nasty polyps so colonoscopies are now a regular feature in my life.

I do find cheap shampoo is okay if balanced by decent conditioner, but I do have five weekly haircuts. I keep mine short, wash it every day and it always looks passable.

6. cindyoh says:

I see vanity items here, ha-ha. Learn to do your own haircuts, not difficult if you keep it simple and learn a few new tricks as you age. Check out organic coconut oil for a hair conditioner. This stuff lasts forever, smells great and is also edible. My doc is impressed with my cholesterol/triglyceride levels, and the only change I made was fixing an egg in organic coconut oil daily (yes, eggs ARE good for you, no matter what uncle sam says). Quit washing your hair so often, which dries the daylights out of it; I’ve let my hair grow a bit and only wash it once a week, made a huge difference, and I refuse to cover my greys. Absolutely quit blow drying. You don’t have to blow a lot of money on vanity items; you need to change the way you think sometimes. I understand the better food, but that should translate as more veggies and fruit; you can grow some of that. Read up on the oil thing – the right ones are good for you inside and out. You need to educate yourselves and be not afraid to stop following the crowd (media) so much. I don’t think we fool people most of the time when it comes to trying to hide our age. I refuse to purchase the expensive face junk and use a dab of petroleum jelly on my face in spots, even in summer; it’s truly been good for dryness (yeah, I know, the petroleum thing, but I’m amazed how well it helps over a more expensive moisturizer I used to use, God knows what’s really in that stuff that ain’t good for you over the long run). Maybe you guys should run with a different crowd (?)

7. Gail says:

Nope some of those things aren’t vanity things. It has been at least 10 years since I could blow dry me hair if I wanted to. I can’t hold my arms up and over my head which means I certainly can’t cut my hair either. My medication makes my hair fall out so I have to take more medication to keep it in my head and that is a cost to pay–an no it isn’t vanity for a woman to not want to go bald just because she is routinely on chemotherapy type drugs! You said it with shoes. I have a pair of sandals that I have managed to get 10 years out of but they are starting to really fall apart. I can’t find shoes that I can AFFORD that are comfortable and it isn’t vanity to want comfortable shoes. I am in constant chronic pain daily. Why should I wear shoes that hurt to top it off? Since my knees were replaces I can’t wear anything with heels, and the last pair of sneaker I bought were men’s and even then they hurt my feet.

Lots of things start taking more time and attention as we age. Because of how exhausting a 10 minute shower is to me, I have to go sometime 3-5 days if not more between them. Let’s just say I would prefer showers to be a bit more close together. I don’t think it is vanity to be clean, have clean hair, non-scaly skin. When everything else is falling apart it gives a very significant emotional lift to feel like you look presentable in public.