Why Staying Home Isn’t Worthless

working at home

I’m fortunate to work from home. I also know many men and women who work from home, are stay-at-home parents, or who don’t work outside of the home for a variety of reasons. Maybe they are disabled in some way, have health issues, or maybe they simply prefer to stay home and take care of the house rather than working. (The concept of the “housewife/househusband” isn’t dead yet.) All of these people make great contributions to their families, homes, and neighborhoods, but they are often derided for their choice to stay home.

It’s often assumed that those of us who stay home aren’t doing “real” work, or we aren’t contributing to socie

This entry was posted in Housing, Personal Finance, Work and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Why Staying Home Isn’t Worthless

1. denise says:

I have worked at home for the past 26 years as a family childcare provider. It is amazing to me how many parents think that I don’t really work. The reality is I have worked more average hours per week than most people do. Parents new to the childcare will often be very casual about pick up times. Because I am at home what is such the big deal about picking their child a little late? After all I am not really working just watching their child. After 26 years it is time for a change. Friday is my very last day. While I am looking forward to some well deserved time off I still will be extremely busy, caring for my ill and aging mother, completing my masters in child development and working on major projects around the house. If a person is lazy they are lazy everywhere regardless if they have a job or not. Most people that we call lazy are in reality depressed, burnt out, uninspired and too afraid to make a change. If you are a productive action oriented person you tend to fill your time whether or not you are employed. My challenge is going to be not that to schedule to little activities, but to not schedule to many. Eventually I will have to return to employment. In the mean time I am going to enjoy my new alternative lifestyle .

2. J. Perry says:

I completely agree with you. I am also a stay at home mom and I get that a lot. That I don’t do anything all day long which is totally opposite! My oldest is special needs and my youngest is well above average needs! Lol! I just love your posts all of them! Keep up the great work! God bless! :)

3. Minny says:

Our first childminder was a professional and told us right off the do’s and dont’s. We paid a retainer during school holidays which I had off.

Then we had to move and had a before and after school childminder. We continued in the same way – started off telling her what we would do which was the same as the first. This gave her ammunition when the other child’s parents started carrying on like some of yours do. She told them they had a choice, do it right or find someone else.

4. wahjobs says:

I have worked at home as a primarily as call center rep for the past 10 years. I still do the majority of the household chores to make sure the house stays clean, the grocery shopping.

5. Gail says:

I used to hate it when I did daycare and the parents would arrive hours late but since they had government assistant for their daycare, I couldn’t charge them more and then they would come and hang around wanting to talk for an hour before leaving while I tried to make supper. Now I would never let them get away with that.

I’m a SAHW now and not by choice. Thankfully we don’t have enough ‘friends’ to hear rude comments about it. My hubby is self-employeed at home, but that is par for the course with his family so at least from one front we don’t hear backlash. It really is no one else’s concern how a couple or a person runs their life.

6. Mary says:

Thank you for your article. I’ve been feeling worthless lately, and it helped me to feel a little better about myself. I realized that I have done everything you list in the article as the less obvious contributions, including regular volunteer work, and yet I never give myself credit for any of it. My sister works and makes a high salary, so she is always “lording it over me.” That’s probably why I feel so bad about myself. Thanks for the advice.