Things You Own that You May Not Really Need

no need

Technological progress has a tendency to make things obsolete over time. People, on the other hand, tend to resist when it comes to giving up their things. I’m as guilty as the next guy; I like my stuff and I still have a lot of things I no longer use. I have my reasons, but if I’m brutally honest with myself, I know I could do without them.

So, since we’re all here in the interest of saving money, I’m going to offer a list of things that the average person could probably do without buying these days, and might want to consider selling if he or she already has them. I’m sure some readers will disagree with some of my choices, and that’s as it should be. P

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Things You Own that You May Not Really Need

1. Samantha says:

the only thing on that list I own is a land line phone, but I would love to get rid of it, but as yet haven’t found a way to connect to the internet where I live without it. But i do keep searching for a solution

2. jay says:

i would add recipe books, manuals for your “stuff” (still have the manual but not the stuff?), misc cables (e.g., ethernet), radios, and for many, if you have a decent computer screen, TVs.
    I also highly recommend digitizing all records, saving as PDFs/whatever. In most cases, a PDF is perfectly acceptable as documentation.
    *Love* decluttering and simplifying!

3. Traciatim says:

Backup Media? Really?

a 50 Disc DVD spindle is $20 for 235GB of backup space . . . to get that in 64GB SD cards would be about $175 bucks. Under proper storage conditions DVD’s are arguably more reliable as backups too.

4. Hey its a nice try to compile this list. I found most of them unproductive and which is required to be dumped immediately!

5. Dana says:

Some nice additions, Jay. Thanks for the extra tips.

6. Dana says:

I agree that SD cards are more expensive. In regard to reliability, I’m glad you said “arguably”. DVDs themselves scratch and break fairly easily. More importantly, they rely on the device that’s first to fail on most systems, because it’s got too many small moving parts. SD cards and USB devices make one static, mechanical connection and the rest is electronic.

In terms of backup storage, network and cloud backups are really the wave of the future. I’ve dumped more than 100 backup DVDs and haven’t missed them a bit.

7. Dana says:

I should probably add that I’d much rather watch movies or television on my big HDTV than on any computer I’ve ever owned. Still, that’s a matter of want, not need.

8. Minny says:

But, I prefer a watch, as I don’t like storing calendar information on my computer, a wall calendar is very useful for me. I prefer to have CDs and DVDs to browse through.

I only have a small pay as you go mobile phone. I do not see why I should pay a small fortune for a smartphone, then have to pay a monthly fee to use it.

Your advice is great for people who are ‘into’ gadgets, if you’re not into gadgets it won’t work.

9. Yowza says:

I’m in your camp Minny. Immersed in technology at work, at home I like not having to turn something ‘on’ just to eyeball my itinerary. And there is a pleasure in viewing graphics etc. on music CDs. And a huge ‘Amen!’ to your smartphone observation.

10. Gail says:

Not only do I have no intention of pitching my encyclopedias and dictionaries, I also have different foreign language dictionaries and atlases which I have found to be tremendous help when reading so I know where I am in the book or what a word meant. I read upstairs and the high speed computer is downstairs. Why should I go up and down stairs every time I want to look up something? Real books for me are much faster than looking something up on line. I also have a land line as we have no reason to fork out for a mobile. I love my cookbooks; I love just about all my books. We do save some vital info on flash drives. A wall calendar is terrific as we write our appointments down, etc and then at the end of the year it is stored with our tax paperwork as it has a record or all our doctor appointments.

What may be clutter to some is essential and well used and loved stuff to others.

11. Heather says:

I also am keeping the watch. I do have a smartphone, but when I rely on it to simply tell me the time, it’s far too easy to get distracted by notifications of texts or voicemails or the like. That and I don’t always have a pocket the phone will fit into. I’m okay paying a bit for a new watch battery every year or two.