The Advantage of Over-Analyzing Your Spending

analyze

I’ve reached a point in my financial life where I tend to analyze everything to death. It’s not just because of the money, either, although that’s a big part of it. My small house only has so much space, so I’m constantly thinking, “Do I really need/want this?” Not only that, I have several longer-term goals I’m trying to reach so I ask myself questions like, “If I buy this today, what’s the effect on my other goals? Is it worth it?” Plus, as I get older I find I’m actually happier with less stuff. It’s less to worry about, maintain, clean, and use.

So I over-analyze everything. I can stand in the store for a solid half

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to The Advantage of Over-Analyzing Your Spending

1. hon says:

My 1st reaction was to wonder your age. Clever marketing has led to your shopping as entertainment. Why consider buying stuff you didn’t plan and likely don’t need for the short term thrill of the ‘buy.’ Rather than over analyze or stressing, tell yourself you’ll return the following day or 48 hours later and see if you still feel the same level of desire.

Since we only wear 20% of our wardrobe 80% of the time, don’t buy without eliminating a similar item of similar size to keep the volume of stuff about the same. We’ve also made a decision we call ‘how much is enough.’ We’ve based it on space constraints and use. Do our teenagers need more than 24 T’s? How many ties does DH need since business attire has become so much more casual. I have promised to buy no shoes this entire summer.

2. baselle says:

The one downside of over-analyzing spending is that you can get trapped into not enjoying when you do spend. Its great to analyze, even beneficial to over-analyze to a point, but when you pull the trigger – pull it, enjoy it, and part of enjoying is to move on.

3. Jay says:

Its an interesting analysis. I have -in the past- been known to shop, put things into the cart, keep shopping, then go back around taking everything I put in the cart back out onto the shelves. Always felt good/smart, but am finally cured of the whole browsing to buy concept. I do find that staying away becomes easier, and easier, and the thought of walking around [shopping] without purpose now seems boring and a waste of time. Internet shopping can be “dangerous” because its so easy to hit that BUY button. However, now I find I’m doing the same thing virtually that I used to do in stores. Put things in the “cart” then delete, move to wish list, or best, simply close the window.
    Clearly scrutinizing everything you think about buying is excellent, and if and when you do spend money, you’ll have not regrets, but probably this process is but a step in the bigger idea of disconnecting from consumerism.
    Well said!

4. Edith says:

As with most things such, I think that imbalances much more effective than an extreme. While in extreme will definitely have some advantages, it will also come with many disadvantages compared to a more balanced approach. This is not always easy, but it is something that everybody should strive for in my opinion. Being able to find the balance in everything that you do whether it be finances, personal life, friendships, etc. is a big key to being happy. Just my two cents.

5. Minny says:

Agree with Edith about balance, also with Hon, Baselle and Jay. If I find myself cogitating like this over an item I ususally decide I don’t want it enough and leave it.

I also assume that if I go to the shops I will end up buying something. Result, I rarely go shopping.

6. Gail says:

While I never was a shop till you drop person, let me tell you having bad rheumatoid arthritis, knee replacements, and ongoing fatigue and pain can cure you very quickly of wandering aimlessly around in a store. I get what I need and get out of there hoping that I make it home before I collapse into a heap of misery. My son used to help me get my groceries and run my errands, but he got a part time job on his day off and so can’t help me any more—boy do I miss him!