10 Calls to Make to Save Money

rotary phone

Many people often pay their bills while grumbling about how much they have to pay. It’s true that many services are very overpriced, but what most people don’t realize is that some of these services can easily be lowered. Sometimes all you have to do is make a phone call to the customer service department of the company. Here are some phone calls that you should make that have the potential of saving you a lot of money:

Lowering Your Cable Bill

It’s possible to save 50% or more on your cable bill with a phone call. Cable companies are increasingly worried about meeting their sales goals, mostly because many people are choosing to cancel their cable subscriptions in favor

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Credit Cards, Debt, Frugal, Insurance, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping, X Files and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to 10 Calls to Make to Save Money

1. Edith says:

I’ve never understood why more people don’t do this. It’s one of the easiest ways to save money, but there seems to be a huge reluctance from a lot of people to make a simple phone call. Does any one know why you were so reluctant to do this?

All it is is a phone call. Sure, there are times when you won’t get the discount, but all it has taken is about 10 min. of your time. I think people would be really surprised if they took the time to make all the calls and how much money they would save.

2. "Tom" says:

Brilliant tips. I got to learn a lot from these tips. Thanks a lot for sharing them and needless to say, I have already bookmarked it for future reading.

3. Noel says:

I wonder, if I pay my credit card in full every month, should I still care about APR?

4. Jeffrey says:

Nope — no reason to worry. What you should do is search for a credit card that gives you the best bonuses for how you shop.

5. My mantra is “Never accept a NO from someone who can’t give you a YES.

In other words if you ask the sales associate for a discount and they say they can’t do that or it’s not available, ask to speak to management and tell them how often and for how long you have shopped with their business, make the discount/sale request to them. 80% of the time you will get the discount even on a missed sale. Always be nice, that always works in your favor.

My second mantra “You don’t ask, you don’t get.”
    Speaks for itself.

6. Gail says:

We save 100% of our cable bill. We just don’t have one. We have a set of cheap rabbit ears on the TV and converter box that you need these days and we pick up on a good day about 6 channels which is plenty. We have videos and DVDs to play as well and if and when we want to watch something we never are without something to watch. My son does have cable and tapes shows for us that he thinks we might like and comes over to watch them with us. It is a nice social visit and we can fast forward through commercials. I always read a book while watching TV too so not having it on just means I read faster.

Before the rabbits ears, we went something like 4-5 years without being able to get any regular programming at all. It didn’t kill us and we always had something to do.

7. Karen says:

If you are able to do that every month consistently, consider Discover or a card which offers you purchase rewards. Use that card for everything you would normally use your debit card for — groceries, gasoline, convenience stores — pay it in full each month and you’ll reap big bonuses at year end.