16 Things You Don’t Want To Skimp On

healthy vegetables

While I’m all for being frugal, there are some things that you just don’t want to skimp on. Some things are so important to your health or safety that it simply isn’t wise or cost-effective to look for the cheapest options, or to skip the item altogether in the name of “saving money.”

While everyone has some minor things that they refuse to skimp on (I know people who won’t buy anything other than Tide laundry detergent or Charmin toilet paper, for example), these are simply matters of preference. The things you really don’t want to skimp on will affect your well-being in more ways than simply getting chaffed by store brand T.P. Here are sixteen imp

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Food / Groceries, Frugal, Health, Insurance, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to 16 Things You Don’t Want To Skimp On

1. Jay says:

Agreed. And yes, quality counts! For example, good shoes, if taken care of, will last years and can be repaired multiple times. As you say, too, there are situations where one has to ask, what is good enough? $300, $500, $1000 mattress….? Hybrid, Electric, or traditional car? Sometimes it can get complicated.
    Regarding auto and home insurance, tried and true economy measures are possible: a high deductible (set aside the deductible as part of your “Emergency fund”) and grouping both with the same carrier. There are also multiple ways to get discounts, including loyalty and [ahem] Good Driver discounts, smoke detectors, and a home alarm system. Also, document (in “the cloud”) belongings you would want to claim in case of disaster.

Nice, thoughtful article.

2. Bill says:

Unless someone else (parents, grandparents, scholarships, etc.) is going to be paying a large part of the tab, a public university is a much better choice than any private college. There are no advantages, career-wise, of a private university over a public for that first degree. There are small advantages for getting that professional or graduate degree at a prestigious private university, but they are seldom worth the extra $50,000 to $100,000 it takes to get the degree. Once you have that first job, the advantages are reduced even further.

3. Cynthia Ford says:

I agree with most of these suggestions except maybe the pet food and education. I have a $40,000 piece of paper, I mean degree and so far I don’t feel it has benefited me enough to really say the expense was worth it. A well thought out career plan is important and doing some research to see what jobs are going to be in demand when you are going to graduate can make your college time either a productive investment or a waste of time and debt. As for pets, my parent’s always fed their dogs cheap dog food and weren’t the best at checkups and such and their dogs were not only healthy, but lived happily to very old ages. I think lack of exercise and overfeeding are two of the biggest contributors to poor pet health. That of course is just my opinion.

4. Minny says:

You are either in bed or on your feet – so good mattress and good shoes. Worth getting the best you can afford.

I recently stayed somewhere with a very comfortable mattress, I learned it was a latex mattress. When my wonderful memory foam mattress needs replacing that’s what I’ll get.

5. Minny says:

I agree with the pet food comment Cynthia.

6. Seth says:

I have to agree with Bill on education. I see so many borrowers with massive student debt that they could have avoided!