Ten Mistakes People Make Trying to Invest in Art

Lowry The Ferry South Shields

By entrepreneur-turned-art-dealer and gallery owner, Bill Clark of Clark Art Gallery, in Cheshire and London

At a time where bank deposits, property and most conventional investments are producing poor returns there is a temptation to try less familiar investment commodities like precious metals, coins, antiques or art. But not everything that glitters is gold. Always apply this ten-point test before investing your savings in items with aesthetic value.

Is it a fake?

There are plenty of people out there with enough skill to fake works of art by well-known or famous artists. The fakes might not fool an expert but can easily appear convincing to an untutored eye. If that sounds like you, al

This entry was posted in Investing, Making Money, Personal Finance, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Ten Mistakes People Make Trying to Invest in Art

1. Dan says:

The issues I see when buyers go after new works is that they tend to buy on impulse and not do their homework. There is alot of good advice in this post and always remember, if you are at a function where they are selling art and you are drinking alcahol, keep your credit card in your wallet. :)

2. Theresa says:

Very True on Art Prices and the whole fact about “limited edition prints” with signatures.

I own 1 Signature piece and it’s signed and numbered 92/1000

I got lucky and picked it up a yard sale ( cause I liked the picture) and it had NO frame. $20

and I could of sold it to the Picture Gallery for $400 when I went to get it framed.

So Many robert batemen prints now can be bought at gift stores across the country ….$80 framed.

3. Victoria says:

Agree Dan! Too many people buy artwork without checking it out first. If you’re going to part with big sums of cash, make sure you do lots of research.

4. Gail says:

“Invest” in art because you like it, not because you think it will grow in value. My ex had the gloomiest picture hanging on our wall for years because it was a signed limited edition print (so in his mind would be worth a fortune someday–currently he collects plates and bobble head dolls!). I don’t know if it was worth anything, all I know is I hated it! Throughout the years he would buy ‘collectibles’ such as plates with pictures on them such as Lady Diana. I guess what I’m saying is don’t get suckered into buying stuff that brand new the sellers are claiming the item is a collectible. I seriously doubt if it is or ever will be. If you need art on your walls and can’t afford ‘real’ art. Then take the time to make your own art or pick up pieces you like at yard sales until you can afford what you really want. The yard sale pieces at times can be worth something, but don’t expect it to be. I picked up a lovely small oil painting in a lovely frame for $10 once. I don’t care if it is worth something or not. Hubby and I like it and it fits with our decor. Our kids can check to see if it is worth anything when we are dead.

5. jrpowell says:

I tend to agree with Gail. I don’t invest per say. Rather, I tend to purchase what I like. Art that fits the feeling that I want of the room or hallway.

6. Kenneth@DTS says:

We must accept that there are always people who aim to deceive and con us. I highly agree on increasing the assurance. Sellers should understand our concern and should be prepared in providing us with documents and files that proves an art’s authenticity.