Things Most People Regret Buying

regrets

As you go through life, you’re going to make a lot of purchases. Some of these purchases you’ll be proud of, while others you’ll regret and wonder what ever possessed you to make them. The key to not regretting the purchases you make is to avoid making those you’ll regret in the first place. While you probably aren’t going to be able to avoid all poor purchases during yur lifetime, one way to limit them is to know what purchases others have regretted making in the past and learn from them. Below you’ll find eleven common things that people purchase which many of them ultimately end up regretting buying in the long run.

Timeshares

Most people are happy wi

This entry was posted in Debt, Personal Finance, Shopping, Timeshares and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Things Most People Regret Buying

1. Robert says:

As far as buying/saving on eBay goes:

If you see an item that you want listed in auction format, send the seller a message asking if they will accept $x to end the auction early and sell the item to you. If that doesn’t work, use a sniping service such as Bidball.com to bid for you. It’ll bid in the last few seconds, helping to save $ and avoid shill bidding.

If there is a particular item that you want that is relatively rare on eBay or goes fast when one is listed, use ebuyersedge.com to set up a saved eBay search for it. You’d get an e-mail whenever a match is listed. You can use the price, category, exclude word, etc. filters to narrow down the results that you get in the e-mails. Excellent for “Buy It Now”s priced right.

If the item that you’re looking for is difficult to spell, try a misspelling search site like Typojoe.com to find some deals with items that have main keywords misspelled in the title. Other interested buyers may never see them.

2. Jay says:

We are in the process of decluttering, and are finding *stuff* in every category you’ve mentioned! What a waste.
    Thanks for the article.

3. Rachel says:

A gym membership can be the best money you ever spend, if you use it. I’m in the gym five to six days a week, really enjoy working out and consider the gym my sanctuary from all of life’s B.S.

I’ll make drastic cuts elsewhere in life before I get rid of my gym membership.

4. Kathy says:

I buy lots of things on eBay when it’s something specific I need. It is one of many places I comparison shop.

5. Brian says:

@Rachel – I agree with you, but I am just too cheap to splurge for a membership. I have been running for 3 years outdoors and feel that it not only saves me money but also time. I would also be very hesitant to sign any type of long term gym contract as lots of people stop exercising after a month or so.

6. Alexandria says:

I have a gym membership, but no contract (never had a contract for a gymn membership? Of course, I am anti-contract). But, that said, the article clearly stated it was a waste of money “if you never use it.” I think we can all agree with that sentiment.

Where I live, the #1 regret would be buying a home. Lots of regrets there…

7. Karl B says:

You are right. Many of these things are bad purchase ideas, but I have found some good Ebay deals from time to time.

8. Lisa says:

Your comments on timeshare are WRONG. It is NOT true that most people who own a timeshare wish they had never bought it. Where did you get this information from? While timeshare is not a financial investment and it is not for everyone, timeshare enjoys a 84% satisfaction rate.

We don’t sell timeshares, but we believe in telling the truth. Your article does nothing but perpetuate falsehoods.

9. Jeffrey says:

Please link me the study that sites the 84% satisfaction. My guess that it would have been taken by current timeshare owners that are up to date on all their payments and have utilized their timeshare in the past year (and probably conducted by a timeshare company rather than a independent group). That is a very skewed pool to get the information from. People don’t become dissatisfied with timeshares until they can’t use them for some reason and want to sell — and can’t. I would love to see the study that proves me wrong, but I highly doubt that it was taken from a true sampling of timeshare owners. The fact that timeshare reseller scams exist (and are a top BBB problem) shows that there are a lot of owners stuck with timeshares they don’t want and can’t get out of.

10. mitch says:

Agreed – Timeshares are THE WORST, and (MOST) everyone knows that!
    My husband had on from his “ex” and had to “PAY” to TRANSFER THE DEED BACK TO company, once she decided she no longer wanted it, of course!

11. Suzanne says:

Do you have concrete research on this??
    I am on a very tight budget, but saw several catergories that I have bought things from and have no regret.

12. Homebody says:

I use my treadmill every day. I live in a rainy part of California and like watching TV while exercising every morning.

13. Gail says:

“Do you have concrete research on this??
    I am on a very tight budget, but saw several catergories that I have bought things from and have no regret”

I think the point is many of these items can bring regret, not that they always do.

14. Minny says:

Oh, I am so there with you!

15. Pingback: The Top Items for Buyer’s Remorse | Daily Savings From All You Magazine