Getting off the Technology Carousel

Carousel

People often wonder why I don’t embrace technology more than I do. I use computers for my work and I have to keep those up to date. But I don’t own a smart phone. My phone is stupid and used only for talking. I’ve given up on video games. I don’t have an iPad. I only have a Kindle because reading is my true joy and I can’t carry twenty books on a plane. I’ve given up on owning anything like DVD’s or CD’s, or even downloadable content. The reason for my technology avoidance isn’t fear or even dislike. It’s simple exhaustion.

I used to keep up with every technological gizmo that hit the market. I was an early adopter. I had all the g

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Getting off the Technology Carousel

1. Julie says:

I am getting tired of having to learn the latest technology just when I finally have become adept at the old. It really slows me down, and lately I have found that the upgrades haven’t been worth the time lost from having to relearn how do do everything. Moving to Office 2010 on my work computer is my latest example. I used to be able to do everything in Outlook, Word and Excel withouth even thinking about it. 6 months after making the change, I am still struggling to find things that I used to take for granted, and I use the programs every day.

I have tried to teach my kids to be very realistic about what the latest version of a product has to offer. The difference from dial-up to DSL was incredible, but the improvements from one I-Phone purchased 12 months ago to today’s model really isn’t worth the extra money.

2. Cindi F says:

Jennifer I totally agree. It is really hard to put into action. I have always loved gadgets and used to spend a lot of money always having the newest and greatest. Recently my family is trying to only spend money on things we really need in order to keep a sane budget and save. We share a cell phone. I have three kids and two are at the age where they think they are required to have a cell phone by social law so it has been interesting. We use Google Voice also, which is free and I receive most of my call through my computer. It works well for us. It is hard to give up the tech gadget habit but I do believe it does save a lot of money and stress. Thank you for the great article.

3. Jay says:

Well said. Planned obsolescence seems to be built into all new technology!
    Have had my cellphone since 2004 and have replaced the battery only once. I think it’ll last several more years since not much in it to fail.

Life is much simpler not having to figure out every new gadget that hits the market. Every time I get tempted, I consider the hassle and cost of startup/maintenance/upgrading, and am “cured”.

4. Ronil says:

This is a great article. I use to enjoy buying new gadgets and following up on gadgets blog. In the long term, I realized that I was “throwing” my money away for understanding new technology that did not addd any productive input to my life. From now on, I plan on using what I have until it breaks.

5. bobebob says:

I find that (as with most things in life) a balance is prudent. I don’t get in on new technologies as early as I used to. But I am a gadget head. Once my current product wears out or becomes obselete for technologies I use, I try to get into it again just at the levels where the early adopters have worked out the bugs. I then pretty much ride it into the ground.
    For instance, I use a GPS when I ride my motorcyce. I’ve used a Garmin Quest 2 for 3 or 4 years now. It’s all but obselete now (I’ve even soldered a new non-user replaceable battery into it to keep it going, and I doubt it even shows up on Garmin’s website it’s so old). But the maps are getting too far out of date and it wound’t be worth the cost of the unit to get them updated now.
    So I bought a Garmin Zumo 660. It’s been out a couple of years now and seems to work ok. So I got a version with lifetime upgradeable maps and will use it until it won’t work anymore.
    I think that this is the best way to be economical with technology purchases. Buy near the top of the technology curve and ride it into the ground before you get another one.

6. Pingback: Carnival of Personal Finance – Ted Talks Edition

7. Miiockm says:

In all fairness, nothing lasts. Avoiding new technology just puts you behind and eventually you’ll be completely lost.